trying this painting lark again - Page 26
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Thanks fellas.

Right time for my sunday evening update. Painting has happend. Not as much as I would have liked, theres been a fair bit of procrastination, was really scared to start the serious stuff. I have high hopes for this piece and the fear of not delivering was making me not want to commit.

Anyway after I managed to overcome the mindgames, this afternoon I made a start on the blending, and the worry dissipated immediately.

I started off by sketching, in some lights. Im planning on getting a mix of warm and cool lighting, so I started off by just throwing on some warm and cold colour sketch style.

Name:  jambo-sketch.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  349.7 KB

this was a good move as now the model looks so bad all I can do from here on in is make it better. So any fears of painting have gone and hopefully won't return. So after making this god awful mess, I have stated to smooth things over with some washes of the base colour. I have also worked some more colours into the midtones. the basic plan is to have warmish midtones on the cold side (using lots of red) and to have coolish midtones on the warm side (using bluish purple). I am also working some some purple into his lips. Purple is the same shade as his bandana. just to keep things unified.

So after the first stage of smoothing and colouring this is where im at:

Name:  jambo-sketch-smoothed.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  354.5 KB

So now I have a basic map of colour and light set out, I will start to refine and tidy and try and bring the contrast back.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 06-10-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

cheers joce. will do.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Awesome man, i like what you did there lightening it right up, and then toning it back, it’s really starting to take shape...

Great start! Seems like we all have to fight the fear of defeat off!

Hope to see some of those vibrant colours creep their way back into the highlights when you get further on with this.

Watching this develop and unfold
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Awesome man, i like what you did there lightening it right up, and then toning it back, it’s really starting to take shape...
    cheers CC, yes I like to throw some extreme lights in there first thing to get a handle on what im doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Great start! Seems like we all have to fight the fear of defeat off!

Hope to see some of those vibrant colours creep their way back into the highlights when you get further on with this.
    thanks hairster, yes they will be reapering. I will probably still go a touch lighter in the extreme so those colours will be pure around the upper mid to lower highlight region.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Watching this develop and unfold
    cheers hopefully it will be a good storey

sorry not been on much lately. been a bit distracted with real life. not got a huge amount of painting done either, but have managed to squeeze a couple of sessions in.

I was struggling for a time to get any contrast into his face, it was looking very flat. So I have been trying to address that mainly. any also smoothing. still a way to go on both counts but finally starting to head in the right direction now hopefully.

Name:  jambo.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  164.5 KB

Looks good so far! Definitely a daunting bust to get started on, but it will be super satisfying as you chip away at all the different sections

Nice mix of colors. That green & purple look great together.

Now your getting it!!!

Looking awesome, and you’ve got the blends quite smooth... nice work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BDerricks View Post
    Looks good so far! Definitely a daunting bust to get started on, but it will be super satisfying as you chip away at all the different sections
    cheers brian, yes its going to be a slow burn, but good fun I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Nice mix of colors. That green & purple look great together.
    Thanks. yes working hard to keep things harmonious.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Now your getting it!!!
    Cheers BAM. yes getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    MORE PAINT! Looking good!
    Thanks Joce. yes agree lots more needed. slowy adding it though. watery layer by watery layer

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Looking awesome, and you’ve got the blends quite smooth... nice work!!!
    Cheers CC. yes still a way to go but getting there.

been reflecting a little today, trying to work out my approach. wondering if I should get some of the other sections moved along or bring the face to completion first. While i think about this it i will probably get some of the details on his face colored in, like the eyes and teeth and see how things are looking then.

Still need to get some overall better balence on the contrast somehow. looking this morning there still seems to something not right. I definitely need to go brighter with the lights, but im not sure if I have done too dark with the little ridges. they look good close up but a bit strange from a distance.

Really is quite different painting at this scale. not sure I have found my feet yet. but will hopefully get into my stride soon......

Papa is looking good! Watching this closely as I have some the same fears when approaching larger scale pieces.
    pax et bonum

It might be worth moving onto another section for a while. Sometimes we just need to go away and give ourselves time before coming back to a problem.

He is looking great so far though mate. Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by frzntoz View Post
    Papa is looking good! Watching this closely as I have some the same fears when approaching larger scale pieces.
    cheers . yes its certainly been an eye opener so far me. quite different

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    It might be worth moving onto another section for a while. Sometimes we just need to go away and give ourselves time before coming back to a problem.

He is looking great so far though mate. Nice work
    cheers foxy. sounds like sage advice.

Time for another mini update. Ive spent a little bit of time tidying and smoothing the top of his face. its not done yet but im ive decided to leave for a bit and get some other sections caught up. but yeah ill have the colours in my wet palette still so will probably add the odd touch here and there as I go. I just think I need a better feel for the light and tones on the rest of the model.

so yeah this is where i at now.:

Name:  jambo2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  160.3 KB

I want that lovely turquoise back.

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    I want that lovely turquoise back.

Looks good!

Thanks saint toad.

yes hopefully I will be able to Bring some at that back in the later stages . Once contrast and blending is smooth I will Then try to get more colour in using glazes and stuff. But I right now I’m having to kill the colour a bit to get the shades

Coming along grand mate, you can really see the character building!!!