trying this painting lark again - Page 27
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Nice advancements Coyote! looks like this piece is demanding the best from you. I am sure it will be one of those a step up pieces once finished
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

I'm impressed by your progress with this bust Coyote! It has a lot of character and I like the bright colors in contrast with the skin tone. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Coming along grand mate, you can really see the character building!!!
    cheers CC

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Nice advancements Coyote! looks like this piece is demanding the best from you. I am sure it will be one of those a step up pieces once finished
    Thanks Maenas, yes its tough going but will be worth it hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    I'm impressed by your progress with this bust Coyote! It has a lot of character and I like the bright colors in contrast with the skin tone. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with it!
    thanks kuribo
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

time for another update I reckon. for the most part ive been struggling to get to the painting table. been a pritty frantic week again and also, I think was just struggling to overcome the fear.

but I think I have finally go over that hill. I basically decided to crack on with seem sketching of lights and shades as fast I can. try to get all the model moved forward in some way. So over a couple of frantic sessions I have got some shadows and tones going one. quick rough work but in doing this it has just made things easier. now I have messed up the clean surfaces all I can so is make them better now.

So yes, hind sight says I should have done this first thing really. Will definitely do this in future. its how I have been starting my smaller scale stuff so I should have done it here as well really.

So yes this where im at now. hopefully now I can settle in and get some some refining done......

Name:  jambo3.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  194.5 KB
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 06-29-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Awesome progress, can see it’s really moving along now!!! I’m glad you broke the ‘fear’ barrier and just went for it, really paid dividends

Way to go feet first!!!! It will force you to get better!!!gr8 job

cheers CC and BAM, yes happy painting from here on in I reckon.

Keep it up...hearing you in the fear thing...the more aware of it though the easier it is to bite the bullet and get back on the bike!

Your scetching is really showing your intentions on this guy pretty well. He is going to look pretty cool when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Keep it up...hearing you in the fear thing...the more aware of it though the easier it is to bite the bullet and get back on the bike!
    cheers hairster, good to know im not alone. very true though, being aware help overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Your scetching is really showing your intentions on this guy pretty well. He is going to look pretty cool when you are done.
    Cheers KB, i hope so

an update:

have spent a bit of time smoothing out some of the fishy areas, also worked in some red and blue glazes here and there. I will probably be doing many more of theses as it seems to be helping with the smoothing, and also just adds a nice bit os something. had a crack at his eyes today. not sure im happy with the outcome, will see what I think tomorrow.

papa jambo, thus far......

Name:  jambo4.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  122.5 KB

Really nice mate. Smoothed out it looks awesome (well it did before too).

Maybe the eyes need more of a 3d effect to them? A bit more spherical shading around the edges?

Agree with fox...just some simple highlights might help. Worth a practise on any small round object you can find maybe.

Also definately agree with you on the red and blue glazes, they will help hugely to add depth to the eye sockets and more blood heavy areas of the face.

making great progress though and always a good thing if you feel you are learning from the piece.

Looking really nice, CB. You're building up some nice different textures there.

I advocat3 the Foxy / hairster ideas. These few things will add drastic depth to the piece which is coming along nice and smooth. This is some of the smoothest transitions you’ve Cheever buddy.

Good stuff man. This one really seems to be coming out great.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

To echo what everyone else is saying, it looks great! I think you're going to be real happy with all the hard work on the face as soon as you get on to defining the teeth and the hair. It's really going to pop at that point!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. glad you are liking him so far. thanks for the advice on the eyes as well chaps. i will give that a go today.

Ive not had any painting time this week, but plan to spend most of today getting stuff done.

well I have managed to get some work done today on Jambo. I spent a bit of time adding various colours of ink to his mouth and lips. mainly to get some dark ending on the inside but also to just get some nice colour going on with his lips. Using inks has added a nice gloss and sheen in places. I then added some paint glazes to try and work in some lights and texture.

I have also started to block in the colour on his teeth. they are helping to break his face up nicely now I think. On top of that I have worked on his eye. I went over the pupil with some vallejo bolder colour black. the matt finish of scale colour just want looking back enough. then I mixed some blue into the base colour and added a slight shadow on the lower side. definitely happier with the eyes now. they are not perfect by any stretch but for now im happy.

so yes not the most productive of weeks, but progress.......

Name:  jambo5.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  113.7 KB

the lips have filled out well with these glazes. I am not good at this criticism thing but here it goes.....
    The shadows and lights on the lower lip are they backwards? Left side facing artist, the lips have a highlight. Should the right side of lips have more highlight?
    With the light greens tints would you put some violet red in the lips. This would warm the violet to offset the green tint.
    Increasing the size of the pupil and adding the glazes has given the eye a more natural look.

Nice progression on this bust.
    I eat crayons!! Do you have any REDS? They taste the best!
    I probably would paint with them better.