trying this painting lark again - Page 9
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

I hope everyone has had a Christmas so far. Ive had good one, not much painting though as ive mainly been drunk and eating, and away from my house. back home this morning though and had a couple of hours working on Doug. Ive finished his head off for the time being, may come back to it once more of the mini is complete. but for now im happy.

Name:  doug-2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  536.0 KB

Glad you had a great christmas, This guy is looking down right creepy. Love it.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Haha what a characterful miniature, he looks a right lunatic, I like the colour choices so far

Got the mad scientist look down to a tee. Only thing I’d say is to introduce a bit more shade into the depths of the hair nearest to where it joins the head. Maybe just run a fine brush between the hair strands with a thinned down dark red or purple?

Cool mini. I like the colors you are starting with.

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Glad you had a great christmas, This guy is looking down right creepy. Love it.
    Thanks Digga

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Got the mad scientist look down to a tee. Only thing I’d say is to introduce a bit more shade into the depths of the hair nearest to where it joins the head. Maybe just run a fine brush between the hair strands with a thinned down dark red or purple?
    Cheers foxtail. i was wondering if I should go a bit darker with the hair. I will try that when i make my 2nd pass there.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Cool mini. I like the colors you are starting with.
    Thanks KB

its amazing how much more painting gets done when you don't have to go to work.

I have made a bit more progress this morning. lab coat is about done and done his belts, I think i have the right amount of light in the right places, but not positive. the buckles were tricky, could no focus on them to paint them.

(EDIT mind you looking at the buckles on the photo they look right rough, so I think i may need to have another crack at them when my eyes are ready for more abuse)

Name:  doug-3.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  589.7 KB
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 12-29-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Looking really good man, that blue is super smooth!!!

As CC said, excellent work on the blue. Lovely transition

Thanks chaps, I’m pleased with how it went also.

Great blends there bud. As far as the buckles there is two ways light hits 1 ) your great as they approach back towards the sides their in shadow. Now light also hits at the highest 1/2of every belt think of it as two separate entities so 2) left to right and 2) top to bottom.maybe an edge highlight on the top edge of each band should give the illusion as each strap going into its bottom 1/2 of shade. I’m saying half’s cause the model is tiny .
    Last edited by BloodASmedium; 12-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Great blends there bud. As far as the buckles there is two ways light hits 1 ) your great as they approach back towards the sides their in shadow. Now light also hits at the highest 1/2of every belt think of it as two separate entities so 2) left to right and 2) top to bottom.maybe an edge highlight on the top edge of each band should give the illusion as each strap going into its bottom 1/2 of shade. I’m saying half’s cause the model is tiny .
    thanks BAM , I’ll give that a try

a little more progress over the last week. finished up the leather stuff, and have made a start on the severed. not really sussed out on where im going with it yet, so have just been throwing random colours at it, to see what happens. hellhound flesh by scale 75 fantasy game colour os the main flesh tone. first go with it. I think ill be using it much more for undead things, really like it.

Name:  doug-8.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  543.1 KB

been a busy week hobby wise. mainly been gluing malifaux minnies together though, so not much painting done. I have game of malifaux on friday night and got trounced. but fortunately it was my reserve list that trounced me as my mates models are at the painters. but although they get a thrashing the ones I have painted thus far did look good on the table, so not all bad.

anyway, I did squeeze in a bit of painting time today and yesterday, I have finished up the severed head. and made a start of the metallics. just need to do some glazes and washes on those and then the base, so all being well should be finished this week, then i will be treating myself to a display standard mini.

anyway, getting ahead of myself. heres doug now.

Name:  doug-9.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  554.7 KB

Looking really good now mate...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Looking really good now mate...

Thanks CC much appreciated

Damnit, I started on these and they are good as finished, I better share. Coyote, I suggest giving the tips of Doug's hair a brighter orange. Leather parts look good, add a few scratches and irregularities to really make them come alive. So to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Damnit, I started on these and they are good as finished, I better share. Coyote, I suggest giving the tips of Doug's hair a brighter orange. Leather parts look good, add a few scratches and irregularities to really make them come alive. So to speak.
    Cool yes post your versions , I will be interested to see. Thanks for the comment also, there is a bit more of a gradient in the hair that my camera has not picked up, but yes agree there is a little more work to be done.

will think about giving the scratches a try to if I can pluck up the courage to attempt it

It's really not hard, it doesn't have to be tidy or anything. I'm slacking a bit on painting these days, trying to do better by pulling out the brushes at least once per day, but maybe I can throw together a simple tutorial for leather.

I love it.