Home Depot mineral spirits?

Thread: Home Depot mineral spirits?

Default Home Depot mineral spirits?

Hello everyone, long time no post!!! I have been busy painting and not on the Internet. Here is my question

I am using #7 sable brushes and am looking to do some oil washes. I have some odorless mineral spirits from Home Depot I was going to use to thin the paint and clean my brushes. Is this ok? I would imagine it's the same stuff as the art store sells for much cheaper...
    Thanks,
    JM
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pi...1630c21290.jpg

They don't make dragons like this any more...

I use OMS sold at Lowe's for adding with linseed oil to make a medium for traditional OIL painting. I do use some KS series 7 brushes for this, and it definitely wears your brushes down faster than when using acrylic mediums. Because OMS can be a bit caustic on the brushes, I would only use it when applying these washes you speak of. Do not clean your brushes with it. For this you can use dish soap and water. It takes more time than using solvent but is both environmentally safer and will extend the life of your brushes.

Dont let let this scare you away entirely from solvents. Use it in your washes, sure. Even use it to quickly remove oil from your brush in between different colors. You won't kill your brush from the occasional oil wash.

It it is the same as the art store stuff. I use it with high quality rare pigments.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

The oil/solvent is going to be very hard on your brushes. The best thing to do is go to a local art store and either buy some factory reject brushes or find something that the properties you are looking for (point for pinwashing, more brush like for area washing) that doesn't cost too much.

As for Home Depot mineral spirits vs artist mineral spirits, there are different grades of mineral spirits. I'm not familiar enough to say what the actual difference is but you should be able to find some specific information online based on what the in store containers say.

Quote Originally Posted by Splurch View Post
    The oil/solvent is going to be very hard on your brushes. The best thing to do is go to a local art store and either buy some factory reject brushes or find something that the properties you are looking for (point for pinwashing, more brush like for area washing) that doesn't cost too much.

As for Home Depot mineral spirits vs artist mineral spirits, there are different grades of mineral spirits. I'm not familiar enough to say what the actual difference is but you should be able to find some specific information online based on what the in store containers say.
    I must respectfully disagree with both of your assertions here. You may have some different experiences, but I have painted at length with a WN series 7 KS sized 4 and size 3 using oil paints, stand oil, turpentine, Venice turps, and odorless mineral spirits without any major damage. After using them for detail work on several 12"x12" canvases, they still hold a point have nice bounce and spring. The only major detriment of any type is they seem to be a bit stripped of their natural oils...dried out a bit...yet I could and have painted miniatures with acrylics afterwards. Now, if you are rough with your brush work you will spoil the brushes, but this is true even with other mediums.

There are some purists that refuse to use nothing less than $20 for 8 oz of turps or OMS, but this is foolish. The hardware store stuff does the job just as effectively.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with both of your assertions here. You may have some different experiences, but I have painted at length with a WN series 7 KS sized 4 and size 3 using oil paints, stand oil, turpentine, Venice turps, and odorless mineral spirits without any major damage. After using them for detail work on several 12"x12" canvases, they still hold a point have nice bounce and spring. The only major detriment of any type is they seem to be a bit stripped of their natural oils...dried out a bit...yet I could and have painted miniatures with acrylics afterwards. Now, if you are rough with your brush work you will spoil the brushes, but this is true even with other mediums.

There are some purists that refuse to use nothing less than $20 for 8 oz of turps or OMS, but this is foolish. The hardware store stuff does the job just as effectively.
    No need to respectfully disagree, regular disagreement is just fine, we're all here to help each other

I suggested the different brush partly due to the fact that it's his first time dealing with oils so any mistakes made, such as not cleaning adequately, won't destroy an expensive brush. I'm a bit finicky about my brushes as well, so even if the damage is negligible from cleaning off oil in the long term (and leaves a usable brush) I won't damage multiple brushes or destroy a brush I care about if something does go wrong. If I dealt with oils on a regular basis I might not worry about it so much but I only use them for the occasional wash or to give some extra depth to acrylics.

Good to hear the hardware store stuff is just as good. I've always used the hardware store stuff simply because I've had it around from other painting/cleaning projects and have wondered if it was worth picking up some of the art store stuff to see if the difference was worth the premium price.

Very good point there. I suppose expertise and purpose need be taken into account. Likewise, I would hate to offer advice that cost someone a $20 brush in the process. Disclaimer: proceed with deliberate caution.

I have been trying to use cheaper brushes for washes and save the w&n brushes for detail. Thank you guys for the info!!!
    JM
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pi...1630c21290.jpg

They don't make dragons like this any more...