Foxtail's Ongoing Painting Journey - Page 12
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Foxtail's Ongoing Painting Journey

Wow. That lot of minis to do. After that I would't paint space marines for next year.
    One day I will finish that mini

Quote Originally Posted by Heldiar View Post
    Wow. That lot of minis to do. After that I would't paint space marines for next year.
    Yeah, but have you seen the new ones!? I'm in love

I'd done quite a bit of work on these before, but the standard was lower than I was happy with. So everything's had the arms and backpacks glued on, just to keep things simpler in the long run. They've had a respray of the shadow colour, the distinctive space wolf grey will get sprayed on the highlight areas. From there, the golds, silvers and furs will get based; everything gets a refined layers of Agrax earthshade; and highlights and details will be finished alongside the termies.
    Name:  IMG_0906.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  734.2 KB
    Everything needs to be finished in the next couple of weeks, so it's a good job I've got a few days off work!

It certainly is good you have time off and I applaud your ambition! It would take me a year or two to finish this many Marines! I look forward to your progress.

Cheers Kuribo. I'll be glad to see the back of them if I'm honest.

Not a huge amount of time today but I managed to get the space wolf grey colour on there. 50 marines in less than one hour, not bad going. Pic just shows the difference before and after, as well as my sophisticated mounting sponge.

Name:  IMG_0911.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  624.5 KB

Default Further lessons in snow

So I invested in some scenic fake snow, which contrasts massively with the bicarb snow I was using previously.

Name:  snowBefore.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  210.2 KB
    The new snow looks far better, being way more transparent and 'slushy'. But it was so distinct I had to try and tie the two together.

Name:  snowAfter.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  256.0 KB
    Some new snow over the bicarb made it look a little bit more wet. Another layer of new snow, but with a drop of white paint added made the terminator's base a bit more opaque. Not great, but as good as I'll get the two.

Glamour shots of one of the terminator captains/sergeants/whatever. Reasonable work, always going to be disappointed when I'm not feathering armour plates because I know it's not my best. But it would take me a few years to finish this commission at my best (and set the client back a chunk more money).

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  103.1 KB
    Name:  Right.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  83.6 KB
    Name:  Left.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  93.7 KB
    Name:  Back.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  98.6 KB

The new snow is much better, I agree. And those terminators still look pretty damn awesome, even though it's not at your higher standard. The client will definitely be pleased and get more than his/her money's worth and will have a very striking army deployed on the table.

Well done,... webmonkey approves.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

That money was well spent and I think these came out well even if it isn't your best all-time work. Saving these minis from the yellow snow has to be a relief too. I'm still looking forward to seeing that mountain of space marine plastic you've started get finished!

Thanks guys. Not long Kuribo, not long. Just waiting for a new compressor to turn up so I can varnish them. My old one had a minor explosion.

Automatic overheat cut-off my arse

Great work! These models are going to look great during game play. I'm sure the person who commissioned you is thrilled.

Keep it up Fox! Termie looks great and glad to hear you felt the model snow was worth the investment...it has a far more pleasing granular and translucent quality to it that also take on board diluted washes/blood far more pleasingly.

Keep us updated with pics on the swathes of minis as they progress.

So I'm fairly new to the painting hobby and I noticed that you used an airbrush on the bigger models, do you use them on the smaller models as well like the marines you just finished? Or is it a mix of the two? Also how do you do the insignia designs and stuff, they look so clean, and the detail is incredible, I'm curious how you are able to obtain that level of detail on something so small.

Much much nicer snow, the first was nice but comparing it to the new one it has nothing to do. Client will be more than happy.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Thanks everyone! The troops are finished and I'll get some pictures up this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrinekeeper View Post
    So I'm fairly new to the painting hobby and I noticed that you used an airbrush on the bigger models, do you use them on the smaller models as well like the marines you just finished? Or is it a mix of the two? Also how do you do the insignia designs and stuff, they look so clean, and the detail is incredible, I'm curious how you are able to obtain that level of detail on something so small.
    Welcome to the hobby and the forums, I can guarantee if you stick around here you'll be painting like a pro before you know it.

I use my airbrush on everything I can. For the smaller models I used the airbrush to prime them, lay down a base colour of dark blue, then spray a gradient up to light blue on the upper surface of each part of the model. My troops have actually turned out far darker than I would have liked, so I should have gone a bit further with that last part.
    A decent airbrush and compressor is a brilliant bit of kit if you have a bit of spare cash to throw at one.

I'd like to say the insignia was all my own work, but it's actually a waterslide transfer decal. Pre-printed design that you can place onto your models.

If you have any questions or need any help getting started feel free to drop me a message!

Default I've been busy

Name:  Army.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  1.02 MB
    So I finished the space wolves. Further experimentation with snow proved that too much white paint makes it dimply when it dries. Glad to get them all finished though and the client was happy with the result. A few glamour shots of the iron priest below.
    Name:  Iron priest front.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  228.4 KB
    Oh my god I didn't paint the light. A*FEKQAC*W£($()!
    Name:  Iron priest side.jpg
Size:  287.2 KB
    Name:  Iron priest back.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  266.5 KB

On to a slightly smaller commission. One more orruk to tick off my list. This one has the maw krusha painted up pretty well, but with a fairly large gap down the middle. Gap filled, a few highlights to do and the beast will be ready. The boss rider needs painting up in full.
    Name:  Orruk.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  200.9 KB
    Name:  Gap filling.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  344.5 KB

As it came, the base was primed black with some very course grit. I thought this was a little underwhelming for a centrepiece model so I tore the sand off with the assistance of a paving slab and dug out some polystyrene packing and Vallejo sand texture. It's just basecoated at the moment. Will hopefully have a little stream running under the rock when it's done.
    Name:  Base blank.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  208.7 KB
    Name:  Base underside.jpg
Size:  131.0 KB
    Name:  Base styrene.jpg
Size:  248.9 KB
    Name:  Base built.jpg
Size:  521.3 KB
    Name:  Base primed.jpg
Size:  286.3 KB
    Name:  Base before ink.jpg
Size:  320.0 KB

I also bent my airbrush needle. Be careful cleaning folks.
    Name:  needle.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  33.7 KB
    Last edited by Foxtail; 06-26-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Oh my! That looks bad ass. Base came out really good.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Base rocks a lot! But I pity that poor needle, it hurts just seeing it. ;( Hope you got a replacement one handy...
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Cheers guys! I've managed to correct a lot of the bend on the needle, which will be fine for undercoating. I've got a replacement on the way for detail work.

That base is incredible!!! Love the Space wolves too, that Iron Priest is sweet, love the subtle OSL and the beaten look of the armour - makes me want to crack open some Space puppies and give them a go, very inspirational!