Foxtail's Ongoing Painting Journey

Thread: Foxtail's Ongoing Painting Journey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Foxtail's Ongoing Painting Journey

Hi all!

I'm a long time lurker on CMoN, but a very recent member due to getting back into painting after a few years away.

I don't consider myself a particularly good painter and I'm having to slowly relearn the ropes again. So I'm going to inflict my ongoing WIPs on you all and leech off of your collective wisdom.

At the minute I have a few Warhammer Age of Sigmar minis to work through. I've just finished a Ork (Orruk?) Megaboss and have a Sylvaneth Drycha Hamadreth to tackle.
    To get ready for that beast I've been toying with a Branchwych. Trying a few different techniques that I hope to transfer over to the larger model.

Name:  Branchwych - 1.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  73.9 KB

I went for a wintery, silver-birch, sort of look. The darker summer look tends to be a little too 'brown' for me and I thought this would be a bit more distinct. Above is with all the shading and progressive highlights done, working the skin/bark up from a medium brown to 50/50 light grey / light brown mix.

Name:  Branchwych - 2.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  72.6 KB

From there I furthered the highlights with some thinned down white and took to work on the blade. I'm unsure about the highlights on the blade shaft, but I've seen similar work quite well elsewhere.

Just the final highlights on the skin and grub-thing, and some details and neatening up to do. Toying with the idea of applying some glow from the blade as well, would love to hear whether people think it would be worth it.

I'm looking forward to taking on Drycha's gribbly back

Name:  Drycha.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  79.2 KB

Cheers!
    Foxtail

Welcome Foxtail.

Looks good so far. I like how the blade looks at the moment. In my opinion, I'd add more glow to the green in the Branchwych to really give it a reanimated feel.

Looking forward to future posts.

Captain927

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are off to a good Start.

Hey Foxy...there is something about that Branchwych mini...cant really put my finger on what though...was looking at picking one up to see what I could do with is myself. Think there are potentially some great basing options to go compliment it.

Whoever is sculpting for GW at the moment has definately been watching too much Pans Labyrinth. There is a definate hint of the Fawn about this and those Tzeentch sorcerers are ringers for the Pale man.

Anyway welcome along...great start...great group of people here, very helpful and you'll get some really handy advice hopefully.

Look forward to seeing what you have to show us next.
    Last edited by Hairster; 08-11-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Whoever is sculpting for GW at the moment has definately been watching too much Pans Labyrinth. There is a definate hint of the Fawn about this and those Tzeentch sorcerers are ringers for the Pale man.
    You can never get enough Guillermo del Toro. I'm still waiting on some GW Kaiju (Tyranids perhaps).

My work on the branchwych has stalled slightly while I tackle a couple of large AoS Orruk commissions. I'm getting some good practice at painting green skin and boars.

Name:  Boar3.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  288.5 KB
    Savage Orruk Boars. Half of these are finished, the other halves basecoated, and the riders still to do.

Name:  Boar.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  316.0 KB

And these ironjawz are getting along nicely.

Foxtail
    Last edited by Foxtail; 09-13-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Aaaaaaannddd, Savage Orruk Shaman. Basecoated and waiting for highlights.

Name:  ShamanFront.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  167.0 KBName:  ShamanBack.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  161.9 KB

I would love to spend a good amount of time on this mini, I reckon you could do some impressive things with it. Unfortunately I've got another 23 savages and a cohort of Ironjawz to finish.

Foxtail