Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Foxtail's Ongoing Painting Journey

Sorry this one has been giving you so much trouble. Resin is always a pain in the ass to work with. Even if you do everything right, it could still turn out like crap and ruin all your hard work.

Thanks all, pleasure to have your support.

I'm thinking a sort of Lion King Pride Rock type base for the replacement. Perhaps with a couple of dead sigmarines and a lot more Orkiness. Need to get sketching.
    error 404: signature not found

Name:  IMG_4460.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  382.8 KB

Done, aside from the metallic rings which will be done after the model gets a matte coat.

Everything else is going a,not mighty fine bud. Cannot tell you how many times I almost lost it because I couldn't cope with great things going bad .but your doing great and onto newer ideas and greener pasteurs and the more you work with it the better you'll get in reference to the resin. You'll be better than ever just gotta get thru the non know how's once get passed that than you'll get it right every time.

Ouch! That's got to smart! Still, seems like you're taking it in your stride which is good: too many give in at the first sign of hardship. Love the colours on the Mawcrusher's head - can't wait to see the rest of it!

Orukk dragon thingy is coming along really nicely Fox, the pink fleshy scars/scratches are a nice break from the green, as are the reds in the recesses.

Keen to to see this as part of the main body now..

Resin business is a bit of a stinker but I guess that's what comes with experimenting. As others have said, you've done a
    belter of a trial run now so this a great opportunity to iron out the edges and produce something special.

That dragon looking very good indeed!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Dude!!! That Maw-Krusha look incredible!! Sinister but unintelligent haha!! Awesome progress!

Thanks everyone! I've been tackling scales for the last few days. Oh how I wish I'd drybrushed.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9Nvr...LE52/giphy.gif

GIF of the process above. But I varied the highlight colours to get some patterning in, glazed over everything to tie it together then knocked it back with a heavy wash of Agrax earthshade.
    Finished product below.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  176.7 KB

Good lord, how I wish I'd drybrushed.

I feel your pain! I sometimes wished I had stuck with one color for my dragon so I could have airbrushed and then drybrushed :P The work you are putting in though is paying out immensely, once everything is assembled it's going to look awesome!

It'll be worth it Fox, looks great already....the results will be infinitely better than drybrushing.

​Nice job on this big bopper. Could do a real cool base with that one.

Began working on the wings properly. I'm not convinced with the colour, the dark reddy leather contrasts too much with the green on a mini that is already quite busy.

Name:  IMG_0185.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  848.8 KB

I might rebase them them with a light flesh colour, drybrush, then tackle it with thin glazes and shades. The wings are full of nice little bumps and dips that would look weird highlighted but should be perfect with the right washes.

I said a while back that I thought the GW mawkrusha was a little too 'green' but it looks like mine might be even greener.

Maybe before you redo the whole base coat, try layering some dark colored glazes into the shadows of both green & wings. Nice warm purple might look nice. You could hide the contrast a bit (while still getting the, uh, benefits of color contrast) while tying the piece together a bit. Anyway, I like the wing color, so I'd probably try to work on it a bit more.

I might have already started! Woops
    Updates inbound shortly, sorry!

Update:

Name:  IMG_1258.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  198.7 KB

The wings have their basecoat and are currently drying from a matte varnish layer. They'll get a drybrush of off-white then a gloss varnish to help the subsequent washes flow better.

They look very bright at the moment, but this will be as bright as the highest points will be after the washes.
    Last edited by Foxtail; 07-21-2017 at 03:05 PM.

I actually think the contrast works well, keeps the massive proportions easily distinguishable

I agree with Replica: thought that it looked quite good and could of worked with a little more fiddling. Too late now! I always have issues with wings too, so it'll be nice to see how you handle them - keep up the good work!

Cool, I'm curious to see where you will take these wings.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Loved the green and the original wings, but you are right that they didn't look great together. Did I mention I love the green?

Thanks guys. The wings before seemed alright while it's just the green and wings, but I think once there's a load of yellow on the mini as well it's just too much contrast in the colours.

This is how things stand at the moment. Successive drybrushes of ivory and washes have worked fairly well. I'm thinking of airbrushing a green glaze at the areas where the wing membranes meet the 'fingers' so that they look like the skin is all connected. The tears and cracks in the skin will get a red shade as well to look a little injured and sore.

Name:  IMG_1284.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  463.5 KB