The Others: Pride help.

Thread: The Others: Pride help.

Default The Others: Pride help.

I received my copy of The Others last night and proceeded to start painting the Pride Avatar because... look at it! I primed in white and thought id try to mirror the game art, color-wise. Using 2 Citadel washes, i feel like i achieved the correct color scheme but that it comes off too flat. What would you guys recommend to make this pop? Im at a loss for what to do to it.

Thanks!
    Name:  Hd3uEJi - Imgur.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  1.75 MB

Highlighting the circle on the pustule/crater bits, as well as various veins would go a long way towards breaking up the flatness. If you look at the paintjob from cmon the face tentacles are a different color as well, more closely matching the mouth area and giving a nice change of color compared to the rest of the mini. Although the effect you've got for your face tentacles work with the flesh color pretty well so I'd say do the highlights first and see if it's enough, if not then do something with the face tentacles.

I'd:

- add some red washed to the top of the head on the 'brain'... it may not be in the original scheme, but people have preconceptions, it could help there
    - add some extra washes of green and brown in some select areas to make them stronger. Like on the undersides or deepest grooves. So not on every surface, just where it would need the most.
    - get some off-white (VMC-Ivory or VMC-PaleSand works great) and do a bit of drybrushing to bring out the textures of the skin AND to unify the mini a bit. Both suggested colors are light yellow-browns --> work well with brown and green too. You don't need to do it everywhere or heavily. Just lightly on the tip of the tentacles, top of the wents, upper side of some muscles
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    I'd:
    - get some off-white (VMC-Ivory or VMC-PaleSand works great) and do a bit of drybrushing to bring out the textures of the skin AND to unify the mini a bit. Both suggested colors are light yellow-browns --> work well with brown and green too. You don't need to do it everywhere or heavily. Just lightly on the tip of the tentacles, top of the wents, upper side of some muscles
    This sounds perfect actually. Thank you.

I need to fix (and learn how to use) my air brush. Good lord, that paint job is amazing.

You need to highlight. You've got your mid tones and you've got your shadows, but don't be afraid to add this off white that Max speaks of to your base mixture of green. Add progressively more and more and glaze it over raised areas, areas in the light.

Make his lower body very much in shadow. Much darker than his top half. This will really sell the realism.

In places where the monster's skin would be thinnest, apply a very watered down red glaze. His hands, end of tentacles, webbing between fingers. Also on places where there is a lot of curvature-like on those large bulbous bumps.

I assume you are going after the highest quality paint job. If so, washes can be very messy. For this reason, you have some
    edges that are very stark and should be reduced. That way they won't look like painted on dark spots, but rather actual shadow.

Cheers!
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Glaze tiny amounts of purple into the shadow areas, you'd be amazed at how much difference that does on both the Green and Brown.
    I'd personally recommend Vallejo Model Colour Violet-Red as its a good all round "warm" purple.
    As has been said highlights are essential and touching with tiny amounts of VMC Ivory mixed into the Base green will make a difference.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Also the exposed brain should be a different color than the brown skin on his body, IMHO.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17