Proteus's WIP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proteus's WIP

Default Proteus's WIP

First of all, apologies in advance for any grating, grammatical mistakes, as english is not my primary language.

After years of lurking, I finally decided to show of some of my current projects to the larger hobby community.

My latest mini - a Luna Wolves Legionary.

This was originaly supposed to be a super quick project, meant to be done in a day or two. I was really excited by GW release of plastic MK IV marines in their Betrayal at Catlh set, which I thought looked great (better proportioned than FW versions, with no "chicken leg syndrome", sleeker helmet design, better casts) and I wanted to get my hands on them. I was hovewer swarmed with projects at that time, so I decided to whet my appetite by finishing a quick, single model from the set, before I could get more ambitious with the models. However as I started to put detail on the figure, I just sort of couldn't stop and started being more and more precise and in the end I finished him as a display piece.

Lot's of attention was given to textures and weathering. Really wanted to give it that walking tank vibe. I got some questions regarding my technique for finishing armour, unfortunately there is no special, specific method to be described here. Over the years I simply develpod good enough brush control and an eye for weathering surfaces, that allowed me to apply fine details. There was no sponge technique or chipping medium involved (both of these are not precise enough for this scale anayway), every scratch and line was applied by hand. If that's sounds like a tedious pain in the ass, that's becouse it was.

Overally really happy with this one. I just wished I knew from the start what way this project would eventually go, since there are still some small elements of the figure that are a bit sub-par, becouse I painted them when I still approached the model with a "quickie project" attitude.

To see more pictures in better quality (as well as other modelling projects in different scales), you can visit my site at:
    knighterrant.weebly.com

The figure is available for sale. PM me if interested.

You can also leave a CMON vote on:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/403524
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/403520

Name:  P8heedU.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  302.3 KB
    Name:  e86aMhG.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  360.8 KB
    Name:  NMoteba.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  317.9 KB
    Name:  OAwOWE2.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  317.9 KB
    Name:  B1JL5Ut.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  357.4 KB
    Name:  PDKSXy2.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  319.7 KB
    Name:  rWeMHIQ.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  123.6 KB
    Name:  WRgUWbc.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  367.4 KB
    Name:  Scjbe0b.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  389.6 KB
    Last edited by Proteus; 01-10-2018 at 11:57 PM.

welcome

Love the marine, great weathering and overall scene
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Looks great! The weathering is really well done!

Just wanted to mention that using a sponge is perfectly doable even on small miniatures. I've used that technique on Hasslefree miniatures, which are quite a lot smaller than space marines. Just use a small piece of sponge, held with a pair of tweezers, and make sure to rub as much paint off it as possible (similar to drybrushing).
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

I know it's doable and quite popular with modellers. I've been doing it myself in the past. It's just that it wouldn't produce fine enough results for what I had in mind. Good brushwork can produce much smaller/finer patterns than the stamp of the sponge.

For me sponge weathering is more of a convinient way of doing it fast, when painting whole armies for example.

Also, with sponge you can only get small blotches and not lines. So for example the effect visible on the bolter paint wear (composed of lots of micro scratches), wouldn't be possible.
    Last edited by Proteus; 09-12-2016 at 06:16 AM.

I use a combination, so that I get both micro scratches and small blotches. But, I really like the effect you've achieved here.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Ace of a job. Excellent!!!

Like I wrote elsewhere - this looks as if someone took one of those upscaled, 3x oversized versions of plastic minis that GW uses as prototypes for making sprues, and applied painting and weathering techniques from AFV modelling. Basically a walking tank. A Forge World Imperial Armour Astartes illustration come to life. If this is how it looks on a large, close-up photo, I can only imagine how impressive it looks in hand, as a 28mm mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post

The scratches are mind blowing when I think of the effort put into making them so realistic. Cool and welcome to the forums.

Great piece. Welcome!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Blog Entries

Welcome. Having spotted your work appear on the gallery a few days ago, I was really excited that you've chosen to start a WIP so we can see your projects develop over time. Great job on the space marine.

Now that's how you do a first post!!! Just so you know, I neeeeeeed to know how you're done that weathering!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darthmarsh View Post
    Now that's how you do a first post!!! Just so you know, I neeeeeeed to know how you're done that weathering!!!
    Agreed. I'll start the all powerful chant then...

SBS!

SBS!

SBS!

Welcome along....damn fine looking mini that and a really unique approach.

Keen to see more of your work...

Currently on the agenda.

On an unrelated note. Anybody knows a good painting recipie to get that old-school, Eavy Metal, "blue-grey" finish for Space Wolves?
    Last edited by Proteus; 01-10-2018 at 11:59 PM.

Oh! PM Tommie from Golem painting. His came out nice...

Here's a quickie project that I've finished lately. This was a very fast paintjob, made for fun. An excercise in painting a Blood Raven that would evoke the look and feel of Space Marines, the way were depicted in THQ's Dawn of War II.

Since it was a fast project, the base paintjob is nothing special on a technical level. Just a simple, edge highlighted Marine. It's the weathering that sets the mini apart, though up close, it't still not as refined as on my showcase Marines (Luna Wolf for example). Normally this sort of heavily faded, 'straight to the metal' type of weathering is not something that I use on my Astertes, but I wanted to evoke to specific look of Marines from DOWII, and their armour had that, heavily worn, industrial look to it in the game.

The mini is available for sale. If interested, shoot me a private message.

Totally badass.

That is one banged up marine. Looks bloody excellent