Wet palette headache :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet palette headache :(

Default Wet palette headache :(

Soooo..

This has been happening for a while now.. My wetpallette is drying up, and it doesn't matter how I balance the water. I have NO idea why it dries, and I have tried a lot of different parchment papers. One thing I did notice was the all I have seen (I live in Denmark) is coated with silicone - dont know if this is the culprit. The paint dries after an hour or so..

Any solutions guys?

Name:  14442604_10154307027950033_20575846_n.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  54.0 KBName:  14445766_10154307027930033_43430187_n.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  40.5 KB

Can you get paper that is just for baking without the coating? I had the same problem with wax paper. I switched to baking paper and it was better. In Canada we call it parchment paper. Maybe ask at a local bakery if you can't find it at the market
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Right, baking paper or parchment paper is the stuff you want. Shouldn't be any noticeable coating on the stuff. What are you using beneath the paper? I have found that sponges are less effective than non-disposable towels at keeping my paint wet. Another consideration: how humid it is in your environment. Not sure how Denmark is this time of year, but I imagine not too different than the Midwestern US (where I am currently visiting). I came from Florida, one of the most humid states in the Union, and my pallet would dry out a lot faster down there. Finally, of course make sure you cover your pallet when not in use, and it also helps to refresh the edges with cold water after each session to be doubly sure be hat your paint won't dry up. Notice the use of cold water; this will delay evaporation.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

I have seen that effect before and yes it is due to the silicone layer on the paper. I was actually able to buy a really cheap brand of baking paper and because it was cheap it didn't have the layer on it so it works great. Not sure if you will be able to do the same. Otherwise yeah go with parchment paper.

Agreed, it sounds like it's the silicon coating.

However, are you boiling the paper before using it in the palette? That's supposed to open up the pores. Pour boiling water over the paper and let it soak for 15 minutes.

Great info here... not to stray from the topic too much, but does anyone know what to do if mold starts to grow on your palette sponge? I can't figure out why I keep getting all these black mold growths on my sponge.
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Great info here... not to stray from the topic too much, but does anyone know what to do if mold starts to grow on your palette sponge? I can't figure out why I keep getting all these black mold growths on my sponge.
    Two choices;-
    1:- Throw IT away
    2:- Get some shower anti fungal cleaner, wash the sponge a few times in that, should be good to go. (This is what I did)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Seriously. What Dragonsreach said. It's just a sponge. Trash it, get a new one. And if you don't have shower anti-fungal cleaner, a good new bottle of bleach should work. (A new bottle. Bleach decays over time so months-old bleach is much weaker than new stuff.)

Already replaced the sponge once, but thanks for the info I'll try the bleach.
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Sooo...

I have now done numerous experiments.

I even bought *stay-wet* Rowney paper and reynolds parchment paper... Nothing seemed to keep the paint wet for more than 3-4 hours. The stay-wet paper was the worst. It dried out after 1 hour - even though I had soaked the paper in water for 10 minutes before using it...

Am I just unlucky or what am I doing wroooong?

I have a question for all of you saying to use baking paper/parchment paper, the only thing I find here is treated with silicon. I don't see anyone specifically saying that the silicon is an issue, but does everyone treat the baking paper by putting it in hot water (like the Rowney paper says to do) or are they just using it straight from the box? Also, one issue I have is that the ends tend to curl, anyone else have this issue or a solution to resolve it? Just started trying out a self built wet-palette and not sure if I need to look for other paper or not.

don't soak baking paper or wax paper - that wont help. Try to find just plain parchment paper. Maybe visit a local bakery and ask them for a few lengths. The wax paper or silicon treated isn't very good and tends to fray/ dissolve and not let the moisture from the other side through.

I have bought 4 different papers, one of off amazon. Nothing works..

Welcome to hell. Now you have to play with how much water to put in and different sponges! Not kidding, took me a year to find the right combo for my area and it only works in the basement during the summer fall and spring - in the winter with the heat on it just dries out like crazy or gets moldy in the better sealed one. The other trick i learned (for winter in my house) is to use a dry well palette a lot of retarder and freeze it when you know you won't paint for a day or two then take it out when you are ready to go and let it thaw and add water if its a bit thick. You'll get it eventually

I see.. But tell me this, I have also experimented with the amount of water etc. but it doesn't matter how much I throw on the kitchen cloth there it still dries, so what could be the culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by bard2000 View Post
    Nothing seemed to keep the paint wet for more than 3-4 hours.
    3 or 4 hours sounds pretty solid to me, actually. We're talking about paper that's designed to wick up moisture. That's going to speed evaporation. At some point, you just need to add more water to the sponge under the paper. Putting an eyedropper of water under the sponge every 3 hours sounds about right to me.

For the mold issue, find a US penny from before 1960 and put it under the sponge. Higher copper content in the older ones.m if you only have newer pennies, it may take two or three. Another option is to out a drop or two of anti bacterial soap into the corner after you fill the sponge.

i have found uncoated baking parchment to be the best used with a paper towel underneath over a foam plate. I cover it with a foam plate and it will last a day or two, but I may need to add water. If your parchment feels cool to the touch, you have enough water. If it feels warmer that when you first made it, add some more water. The water evaporating make sit appear cooler, so when it feels warmer, the water is mostly gone.

I use small sandwich boxes that seal very tightly (has a gasket and clips). I use the lid for the palette so you are not trying to dip deep into something. One tip I go was to treat painting and storage differently. The sponge needs to be pretty wet for painting, but take it out and squeeze a bit of water out before sealing up the box (you put it back in of course . You could try using kitchen paper instead of a sponge and just throw out the kitchen paper and parchment paper every time you are done with a particular colour.

Depending on how dry your environment is (mine is usually very) you will probably need to add a few drops of water to the sponge every half hour whilst you have the box open

John

When I have trouble with my paints drying I lightly mist my paints. If you do it at a distance it will add that extra moisture the air takes out of it without flooding your paint. An ordinary spray bottle won't cut it as the water droplets are just too big to be of any use. You need to find a bottle that has a fine misting spray. I didn't pay a cent and use an old dove deodorant glass bottle which is perfect for me. Old perfume bottles have a similar fine spray pattern if you can reopen them. Such a small amount of water is used so it doesn't change the consistency of your paint.
    Any supermarket should carry baking paper, just don't get the waxed kind for obvious reasons. I spent money on a dedicated wet palette and gave it away to go back to what I was used to which is a free plastic tray filled with free absorbent paper towels and tap water covered by baking paper already in the kitchen.