Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet palette headache :(

I still need to find the correct combo, but the p3 wet palette paper worked much better than my regular oven paper, I suppose/suspect that silicon coating on the oven one was one of the reasons... Still it does not perform as it should/expect.
    I have the curling issue every time I put in a new "page" of paper, I solve it by just turning the paper, in fact I put the paper in, wait for it to curl and damp a bit, and then I turn it upsidedown and then the curling disappears completely.
    As some mates say you need to add water to the palette to keep it moist, in winter with the heaters on I needed to add water once every hour as water evaporated quite fast...
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

I swapped to a Masterson pallet, with their paper and sponges. Works flawlessly.

My painting sessions are so far and in between that I switched back to well pallettes, but I recall that some baking papers and wet pallette sheets required being treated before use. This required a few seconds in boiling or near boilng water to get it to wick water adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by baudot View Post
    I swapped to a Masterson pallet, with their paper and sponges. Works flawlessly.
    Yep.Same here.
    One thing DON'T use it for gloss varnish.
    I did and screwed up the sheet.....I live, you learn from my mistakes!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Everyone constantly says to use "parchment paper" or "baking paper." I wonder if they realize that these papers are almost universally sold as silicone coated or infused, as that's what prevents baked goods from sticking...so obviously it's ideal. And yet the most common 2nd piece of advice is "don't use coated paper." There is some serious need for clarification amongst these would-be advice givers.

I've tried a handful of papers over the years, and to this day have not found a decent paper. Silicone coated/infused papers do in fact dry quick, even if boiled for 30+ minutes. Uncoated papers (which are actually very hard to find in the US) bleed terribly and will dissolve/tear rapidly. The masterson sta-wet paper is not designed for small pigments and will absorb your paints.

So where exactly are you all finding this "magic baking paper" that doesn't dissolve and yet isn't silicone-based? My guess is that you're actually using silicone-infused paper without realizing it.

So after extensive searching and testing, I've more or less concluded that there is no good paper for wet palettes.
    Last edited by Trapper; 01-11-2018 at 07:49 AM.

I don't know dude, both masterson and simple brown baking paper (not wax paper as some accidentally buy) both work great for me. I used to use kitchen sponges in a tupperware container with baking paper from the grocery store and it was fine then i needed a bigger pallet and switched to masterson and use their paper and sponge and that works great too. Sorry your having trouble. Nothing wrong with using a dry well too ya know. You can get the same techniques to work with a dry well palette, some retarder and a waterbrush loaded with 50/50 water and retarder
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    The masterson sta-wet paper is not designed for small pigments and will absorb your paints.
    It's also my experience that the pigments do bleed into the Masterson paper, but haven't noticed it being a problem yet. The paper gets stained, but it still works well. Small quantities even bleed through into the sponge. I still love my Masterson palette.

I have noticed a big difference in how it performs in different locations, however. It's more prone to drying out in my Oakland, CA. apartment, There, I can use it to blend paints within the same day, but the idea of it preserving paints ready-to-use over multiple days doesn't work. I usually start off each day's painting session by washing yesterday's now-partially-dried paint off the paper, then adding fresh paint. It works better in other climates where I've visited.

Masterson can work fine-- sometimes. But for thin layer consistencies (and definitely glazes) it will just soak right in. I've yet to try brown paper, but I don't like the idea of it because it will throw off the look of your color. I do a lot of mixing, so a nice white palette keeps your colors pretty accurate.

I've had this discussion before with some top tier painters (ie Ben Komets) and the consensus was: there's no perfect paper.
    That being said, I've seen videos of some painters whose palettes appeared to be working like magic, where small drops of paint could be mixed and stay wet for over an hour. I'm convinced it has to do with their paper.

Just by some actual wet palette paper from an art store. It works perfectly

Not to do a product placement plug, but I've been using the Wet Palette from Formula P3 (Privateer Press).
    A pad of their palette paper and the plastic box with sponge, my sponge dries up before the paint does, so as long as I keep the sponge moistened, it works perfectly.

Well for me personally I use a Tupperware container with the cheapest kitchen sponge I could find and ordinary household baking paper. I have never had any issues with this at all, although I have found the cheaper and nastier the baking paper the better it seems to work the container is a sealable one with like an oring in the lid so seals air tight, and I’ve left it for close to a week (Australian summer I might add) and never had the paints dry thoroughly, the thin mixes will but not any blobs of paint...
    in saying this I generally don’t use a wet pallet that much, only use it when introducing a lot of colours into contrasts over a largeish area and need to keep a mix going for a little while..

My wet palette consists of two sheets of felt and normal printer paper and it stays wet for hours, perhaps adding another under layer of felt/paper towels/whatever may prolong the drying time. Also, your painting area may have very dry air, I know that during winter it may dry faster because of the low humidity.