Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kuribo's Mansions of Madness WIP

I like the purple shading on the goat spawn. To pick it up a knotch, focus on the hair with some global highlights and then pick out a few individual strands with highlights.

Krule,

I think you're right that hair could use a little brighter of highlights here and there. I don't like the sculpt and how it lacks details in places but I'll see what I can do because I think this mini is worth improving even further if possible. Thank you for your advice as always!

I was just showing my roommate some of your work and your improvement over time. Each model you get a bit better, and it even seems like you are changing how you look and plan the models as you work on them. Also with the hair you can try putting in streaks of highlights like in the photo and then go back over the highlights with a thin glaze of the brown hair color and it can add a bit of texture to the hair that the model is lacking.

Oh wow, Guawol, I'm very flattered to hear you did that! I hadn't thought about it but I think you're right, I have become more ambitious with my basing and color schemes and paint effects, especially more recently. I still have tons more to learn but I think the experimentation and ambition is slowly paying off. Thank you for those kind words. I will give that a shot on this mini because I think the hair is the one thing it needs to really look good still. Thank you for your suggestion!

Name:  Daughter of the Forest Front.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  436.2 KBName:  Daughter of the Forest Back.jpg
Size:  431.3 KBName:  Walking Dead Pancho Female Zombie Front.jpg
Size:  362.6 KBName:  Walking Dead Pancho Female Zombie Back.jpg
Size:  346.3 KBName:  Dwarf Battlemage on Pony.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  443.2 KB

I’m back from my nice and much needed vacation to NYC. I’ll talk briefly about it in terms of miniature purchases but just know that I missed painting and seeing everyone’s progress while I was gone!

I feel like I have made some breakthroughs both right before I left and since I’ve returned from NYC.

First up, I have this Child of Goat MoM figure which is not a great sculpt but I knew that getting the skin tone right would make or break the mini so I really was deliberate in my glazing layers on the skin and I think it is probably the best skin tone I’ve ever done. I think I over-highlighted her top but other than that, I like how this has shaped up. The base isn’t quite finished as I am waiting for some moss basing materials but I will show pictures of it when it is all done.

The second mini is another zombie for Walking Dead. I tried a new color for clothes this time and I think it looks alright. It may need some brighter orange highlights. This is the first time I've painted any guts and I really just guessed at what would look best and what kind of paint combinations to use. I have a feeling it is a bit too pink but I do plan on putting plenty of blood in the recesses as there should be. I also went for some weathering on the jeans and more highlights on the skin. Unfortunately, her face is really hard to take pictures of because of the way it is shaped, I’m close to varnishing, basing, and then applying the blood to this zombie so if you have any suggestions for how to improve it, let me know because I think there is still room to improve on my zombie painting skills.

In New York I went to Compleat Strategist which has a decent selection of minis and an amazing board game selection. They had Reaper minis and the new D & D minis which are insanely cheap. I have never been overly taken with anything I’ve seen by Reaper but after combing through everything they had, I saw this Dwarf Battlemage on Pony and thought it was cute and kind of awesome looking all at once. It kind of reminds of the spirit of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings and so I picked it up and will paint it sometime in the near future when I feel my skills are up to the challenge. I’d like to make a display base for it of some kind too to really highlight the character of the mini. So it will be a future project and one I look forward to tackling!

Name:  Brian Blake Front.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  354.6 KBName:  Brian Blake Back.jpg
Size:  406.4 KBName:  Brian Blake Side Gun View.jpg
Size:  351.5 KB

Perhaps I jumped the gun in my last update because I think my latest mini is actually better than the previous two and one of my best yet. I really wanted to do well with this early version of everyone’s favorite villain, The Governor. I love how the leather came out and this was my first time trying a midtone skin color. What I would like feedback on the TMM painting on the knife and gun. I couldn’t get a great picture of the sword that did the paint job justice but I think you can see the gun fairly well. This is the first time I can remember painting anything metallic with detail and while I think I used a fairly standard technique of gradual layers of paint, I’m sure I can learn more and improve with practice.
    Last edited by Kuribo; 07-24-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Typo

This last miniature looks perfect IMO! Very good job ^^
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

He's looking great Kuribo. You've really nailed the smooth blends and high contrast needed for a mini this size.

You've gotten good!
    error 404: signature not found

Maenas - Perfect is a very strong word and I am flattered you think so! Thank you very much for your kind words

Foxtail - I guess I have made a lot of progress in my painting skills and this is one of the few minis where by the end, I thought, "Wow, I must be getting better at this because I can't find a flaw in this one." Thank you for all the advice and encouragement along the way. It has been much appreciated!