Crudelus's WIP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crudelus's WIP

Default Crudelus's WIP

Hi guys,

i rarely post on these boards, but i thought it would be better to keep everything in a single thread, from now on.

I'm showing you 2 early WIPS, one of an old Rackham model, Killyox the pack leader; the second is Oniwaban Kitsune from Infinity.

Killyox is a commission, so i'll have to do a good job or else the customer will come knocking to my door during a gloomy night.

The idea behind the base is of ruined temple once devoted to some lupine god.. the pack leader is standing atop the ruins, defending his ancestral ground: he's pointing the approaching enemy to the rest of the pack.

For the second model i created a simple urban base and placed some basic colours on it, but it'll have to wait till the end of the commission job.

That's all for now, feel free to give advices.

Lorenzo
    Attached Images Attached Images      

This will be fun to watch - I love Rackham wolfen. And Infinity models.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Nice start on the bases for some cool mini's.

Love those bases. Great layouts, simple but intriguing.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I like the theme of the first one however have some thematic concerns.
    1) Understand the requirement to have a wolf head in there representing the Lupine god, however it doesn't really go with the rest fo the "floor" of the temple. What happened to the flagstone it fell upon? Or what was the original purposes of the flagstones themselves? Were they an altar floor, a portico, or what? I just don't think your pieces go together in a clear scene setting story.
    2) I'm also not so sure I like the positioning of the head on the leader. To me it looks like he is looking under his arm to make sure the pack is there. Not very leaderlike... (As I relook at the last picture though, it might just be a trick of the camera angle) IMO, he really should be either staring directly at the enemy or have his head up howling. Not sure what you can do about it within the confines of the model, but he seems just a tad off in his current pose.

As for the second one, I think your fencing needs a/some support post(s) as the links just wouldn't stay up in the air like that.

Both are very dynamic though and that's always a plus.

Great start to me. Looking forward to more.

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    I like the theme of the first one however have some thematic concerns.
    1) Understand the requirement to have a wolf head in there representing the Lupine god, however it doesn't really go with the rest fo the "floor" of the temple. What happened to the flagstone it fell upon? Or what was the original purposes of the flagstones themselves? Were they an altar floor, a portico, or what? I just don't think your pieces go together in a clear scene setting story.
    2) I'm also not so sure I like the positioning of the head on the leader. To me it looks like he is looking under his arm to make sure the pack is there. Not very leaderlike... (As I relook at the last picture though, it might just be a trick of the camera angle) IMO, he really should be either staring directly at the enemy or have his head up howling. Not sure what you can do about it within the confines of the model, but he seems just a tad off in his current pose.

As for the second one, I think your fencing needs a/some support post(s) as the links just wouldn't stay up in the air like that.

Both are very dynamic though and that's always a plus.
    Hey Konan,

tnx for the feedback. About the second model, it's just an early wip and i put the fence quickly in position to have a general idea, but i agree some support may help.. first time building an urban base :P

About the wolfen: i have to admit i did not thought the head couldn't fit with the floor. I was eager to use that wolf head and i imagined the statue had been buried under some terrain, but again the tiles above it doesn't make sense. I'll keep that in mind for future works, because unfortunately i cannot modify this base at this point

Instead, the wolfen's head is meant to be glued in that position: i could convert it, but i really sucks at converting.

That said, i proceeded in rigorously casual order to paint some areas of the model. For the first time i'm trying zenithal lightning.. i also tried to somehow texturize the leather and to give it a satin finish with glazes and oils wash. Suggestions are very appreciated.

Lorenzo

Hi there,

i kinda slacked in posting here, so these pics miss some steps beetween the last ones. However, i went pretty far on the wolfen and for the first time i tried heavy texturizing the leathers (i think the result is fine, but you decide).

I still miss a helluva of details and the pics sucks b@##s, i.e. the skin is not so green in real life, but they give a general idea.

I'm also posting a close-up of the head: fur is to be painted, so the ears and the mouth.

Every advice will be appreciated.

Lawrence

Not much to say at this point. He does look awful green in the photos. The eye is really nice and I like the leather effect. The dark shading at the snout and between the ears is a good start. I would have to see some base color on some of the other details before I could offer much more help.

All I can say is good progess. )

This time i want to show some progress on the base. I had to stop painting the wolf: the model is so detailed that i was becoming insane (circa 70 leather strips and LOT of metal studs) and so, in order to avoid throwing it out of the window, i started the base.

The grass is made from Mininatur tufts and posidonia, and it's still to be painted. Also, the stones needs additional weathering with some oils and/or pigments.
    Pics are as horrible as always.. anyway, for my painting standards, i'm quite satisfied.

Suggestions are appreciated, as always.

Lawrence

Very slowly, but the wolfen is almost finished. Only the weapon and the totem (and some minor corrections) are remaining. I started the NMM on the blade and i must say it's taking me longer than expected: i re-painted some parts many times because i was not satisfied.

Now i'm half way and i'm quite happy with the result, even if the blendings are not perfect.

Pictures are the most sucking thing ever, but i hope you will be able to see something and give me advices.

Lawrence
    Last edited by Crudelus; 07-15-2013 at 08:20 PM.

He is looking great. Looking forward to seeing it finished with his base.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Holy crap! What do you call perfect blending then?! I mean that is REALLY nice. I especially like the little nicks and chips which make the blades look used, but sharp.

The weapon is really nice. Good job on that one. What you should do now on it, it's to put some glazes to reflect the surroundings. Use what ever color you used that could be reflected. Like the green of the skin, the brown of the leather. But in a very faint tone.....

I agree the nmm on the blade is sweet. Also like the leather on the thigh pads.

Hi guys,

the blending on the weapon is finished. I followed the suggestion of Slybarbeau and addes some reflection, i.e. some yellow near the NMM dagger and some faint kakhi near the skin. Also, on the rear i gave green reflection in the lower part to match the grass on the base (sorry but i'm showing you only the front part).

The grip is painted in a different tone but, as usual, pics sucks so much that is difficult to tell.

Now i'd like to add some rusting and weathering near the grips and the rivets... some suggestions here? Should i proceed the same way used when we paint true metal?

Keep up with the imputs, i appreciate.

@ Zab : you can't tell from the pics, but i assure some transitions are very rough. Or maybe i just pretend too much from myself.

- Lawrence

Looks very nice so far. For the rust, glaze with orange, snakebite leather (old gw paint name) and brown around the rivet. Use very diluted washes and progressively apply the paint. Do this until you are satisfied with the result. This is one of many ways to do this. You can also use rust pigments that gives very good result. Unfortunately i do not have a link but i think in this website tutorial section, you will surely find some exemple.

The wolfen is almost finished. I put it on the base and, obviously, the pins were fitting no more.. so i had to create some minor corrections with grass and soil.

Tonight i painted the totem, trying to go for a jade-like colour, but i'm quite unsatisfied: i had problems handing the model, now that is fully painted, and the blendings are rough and a bit chalky.

But i like the tone and the contrast given by the reddish runes. I still have to put on the final highlights and chippings.

I also followed the advices and put some light rusting on the blade (the pic sucks balls so it's hard to see): first with glazes of brown, then with glazes of pigments diluted in water and finally with little dots of pure pigments.
    Hope you like it.

See you soon for the final pics.

Lawrence

PS someone know how to empty the friggin' attachment cache? I still have the one from 3-4 months ago ! -__-

I do not buy it as jade, but love the color / effect of the totem.

Are you going to anything unique to the claws/finger nails?

You need to go a lot darker to make it jade and really boost the contrast, though it does look nice the way it is. The claws would stand out done in black shaded with browns to make them look old.