Octavian's 1st WIP
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Octavian's 1st WIP

Default Octavian's 1st WIP

Hey all! I'm new to CMON and this is my first post (hopefully I don't screw it up). I have recently started painting again after a 12 year hiatus. I am trying to learn some new advanced techniques. The model below doesn't really reflect that yet but it's my first one in a long time so I'm still getting back into the swing of things.
    I'm trying for some NMM on the armor bits and on the sword. The armor I'm thinking of going for a bronze-ish feel and I started with a basecoat of 1:1 mix of RMS Leather Brown and Chestnut Gold. At this point idk if I should go for a wash and then highlight up from there? Or blend/glaze the shadows and highlights. Even after watching/reading so many tutorials on this subject I am still in need of some guidance. So, I thought what better place to get it than on CMON!
    Also, the sword is giving me trouble. Since it technically has three planes/faces, I'm not sure how to attack the brights and darks of the light reflecting off the blade. Any advice regarding that would be very much appreciated.

Name:  Boris Evil Fighter WIP.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  1.63 MB

Welcome to the site! You have a solid foundation. A little more work on the flesh will take this piece a long way.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Funnily enough I'm working on the skin right now. After basecoating the armor the skin seemed too orange. I thought I'd contrast it up a little and try got a paler, colder time. We'll see if this pays off lol

If you havent looked at painting buddhas videos on youtube that is a good place for great tutorials, the are high end painting, but you can always try some things from them and take with you while you grow in your painting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/paintingbuddha

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

I like the way you appear to be going for a "glowing" effect right off the bat with those eyes on the chest-piece! My advice is to be bold, and go for it! Put that same green on the fingertips of the right hand, the edges of the skull and horns on the sword's chappe. Bright green bottom-lighting would add serious drama to the character's *actual* face! You might even want to put some putty in there to bring out the surface enough to cast light on these areas, as it's too recessed right now to be shining green light on the rest of the chest-face. If you go this route, you may want to bring the brightness on the eyes themselves all the way up to a greenish off-white.

I would love to see this finished! Keep it up!

Thanks Priest! Those are some great ideas and I think I will incorporate them into the project. It's my very first time doing OSL so wasn't too confident on how far I should/need to take the "glow."

Lightbulb Neon Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian80 View Post
    Thanks Priest! Those are some great ideas and I think I will incorporate them into the project. It's my very first time doing OSL so wasn't too confident on how far I should/need to take the "glow."
    Cool, I'm excited to see it come together! Hey, did you see Jike Ichi's WIP thread? It is this one:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...highlight=gorm

There, you'll find this "Gorm" model:

Name:  gorm.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  30.8 KB

Notice how the eyes protrude from the face a bit. That's why I suggest maybe some putty to bring the surface out somewhat. Also, the very high brightness of this pinkish color is what I'm talking about when I say bring the green to an off-white *neon* color, like in this picture:

Name:  herbert_west__reanimator_by_cowboy_lucas.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  85.3 KB

Together, these two pictures should give you a pretty good idea of which direction I'm describing. I'm going to do something much like this when I finish a model I started years ago, my catoblepas, documented here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ght=catoblepas

This monster has a gaze weapon, and will benefit from this too, so we'll figure this out together, if you want.

Happy painting!

Yeah, right on, I'm picking up what you're putting down. I think you're vastly overestimating my abilities, lol, but I'm going to give it my damndest. I don't believe I have any puddy or green stuff (which I've never worked with before) at the moment so might just have to make do with brightening the color and see how that goes. Thanks again for the inspiration!

I haven't had much time lately to work on this WIP. Mostly I worked on the flesh and I think I might have taken it a little too pale. What do y'all think? I also tried my hand at the eyes (which I'm notoriously horrible at) and fared a little better than usual. Which is to say, at a level a little above horrible, .
    Name:  20161030_154909.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  1.13 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Octavian80; 11-02-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Jeez, the super magnified pics that show up are not pretty are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian80 View Post
    Jeez, the super magnified pics that show up are not pretty are they?
    Don't worry about the size showing up things, just use it as a "Fix that Flamer" reference.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Some pretty awesome stuff going on here, Octavio 1) thanks for commenting in my work bud. 2nd welcome to the family as I am welcomed to your forum... Ill do my best to get on here regularly , and its another great thread with good folk and greatly painted models bud. Very excited that we found each others path, as the one thing I live more than mini painting is viewing minis that have been painted by my friends !!! Keep up the great work bud!!!

Thanks Blood! Yeah, your work is pretty amazing and I would love and absorb any kind of critiques and ideas to help me improve. I know that I am basically starting out in the hobby again and have a long way to go but I am looking forward to the journey. My wife and pocket book probably aren't nearly as excited, but they'll come around, haha.

Lol they always do!!! anything you need ill do my best to try an answer. But your in a good place as far as your skillset is concerned. Just rem if you start a model challenge yourself to finish it. If you need help pm me thats the fastest way for me to help if I lets say forget to go on all my buddies forums its never intentional i just tend to be absent minded.

Awesome BAM, thanks! I just might be messaging you soon, haha. I am starting to get discouraged with this one. But I think I'm just nervous to attempt some NMM and then fail miserably. I'm trying to tell myself I just need to practice, practice, practice. And like you say, I need to challenge myself to get it done. Hopefully this weekend I'll find a good chunk of time to work on it.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Don't worry about the size showing up things, just use it as a "Fix that Flamer" reference.
    good advice. Remember that most of us suck at eyes. In this case the blown up pictures show the black of the pupil extending beyond the eye. So if you go back with your skintone and cover up the excess black the eyes will look 10x better.

Hey KB, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice! Hoping to get some painting time in today so will probably get in there and fix that serpent slit eye haha.

Okay ill give you something easy to start with if you want to punch up the armor which is a solid paintjob right now you could 1) take a bit of dark green ink / wash diluted paint etc and drop a lil puddle right where those darkest shades are on EACH SCALE. Not too much and not a general wash think of micro washing using a lol drop of that green black color just enough to Darken up each scale shadow more. Then at the points that make a triangle where you have edge highlighted the scales use a very small dot at the too of the scales highlighted triangle. A small white dot at the very tip of the lightest parts of each scale triangle shape. This should deliver a nice pop work with a drying retardant in your white paint so if the dot is not aimed well or it's too big you have time to wipe it of with a wet brush. Try those too before getting into proper highlighting and shading. Get used to doing those as they make a good 1-2 punch when making things pop a bit more.

Okay cool! I'll give that a shot and see how we're looking. Thanks for the advice!

So I've been putting it off all week because I was scared to try it. But today I finally buckled down and attempted some NMM. The results are . . . okay for not really knowing what I'm doing, haha. It looks decent at arms length, probably okay for tabletop. I know it's not nearly even close to great but what can I improve on? What am I doing wrong? This was my very first time trying this so total noob status lol. Any advice is gratefully accepted. Thanks! Oh and btw I only worked on the guy's left foot.
    Name:  20161105_185318.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  1.42 MB
    Name:  20161105_185325.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  1.36 MB
    Name:  20161105_185332.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  1.41 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images