Octavian's 1st WIP - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Octavian's 1st WIP

Yeah really quite a collection^^

To your question:
    Otherwise, how can make the red and white parts of the shield look shiny and reflective?
    As with NMM the trick is contrast. Reflective materials show strong contrast between light and shadow and very scharp and intense highlights. The tricky part painting this is: Know where to position the lights and create a smooth blending over a pretty short distance.
    For the red I'l try a black/white undercoat with the transition and then just glaze the red over that. The stongest highlights can be reinforced with pure white.

For the white it's the same. You need a strong contrast and short transitions. So best start with a light grey and use pure white only for your extreme highlights. It's a bit like painting NMM just with different colors and not so dark shadows.

NMM on such a large surface might be tricky. I'ld try it with 2 highlights and some kind of horizon in the middle. Means big highlight in the middle in a kinda half circle. Go dark to the top. On the lower half you start with a dark hirizon line right under the half circle but not completly striaght, a little bent upwards. Then go lighter to your second highlight at the button of the shield.

Just a quick sketch with gimp so you get what I mean ^^
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CyAniDe; 11-29-2018 at 03:58 PM.

@CyAniDe - Oh wow!! Thank you so much for checking out my thread and for the advice. That was exactly what I was looking for. And thank you so much for putting the time and effort with Gimp to give me an example, that is awesome!

Stuck in painting limbo under a pile of unpainted minis

Vallejo makes a metallic medium that should allow you to get a metallic finish with the colors you want. Never used it myself, but here is a vid I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz5MJycVwvk
    Seems to lighten up the color you use quite a bit though.

Great job on the re-paints of the plastic figures.

Its great to see you're still cranking out excellent minis, Octavian! Always glad to see some Star Wars work on the site too. I think going back to another superhero mini is a great idea since Wonder Woman turned out so well. Keep the updates coming!

Eki - I was kind of thinking about the metal medium as well. I will check out the link and do a little more research and weigh my options. Thanks for the suggestion! And thanks for the positive comments!

Kuribo, my friend! Thank you so much!

I picked up a bottle and I can tell you it does change the color as you hopefully can see by this picture
    Name:  20181201_144935 (1).jpg
Views: 99
Size:  89.4 KB
    That is the same red (I believe I used Reaper's Blood Red) on both sides of the ax. If you do get a bottle of the metal medium, you might have to do a bit of glazing to get it back to the right color, or pick a color where you know you want it lighter than it is for the metal look. Both sides are after one or two passes with the brush

Another alternative is to give it a coat of a good chrome paint (Vallejo air chrome) let it dry then airbrush over with appropriate coloured inks or transparent paints. That will give you that lovely metallic candycoat look.

Other than that, cool to see someone painting some alternative minis on here, great job.

@eki - Oh yeah, okay I see. Looks kinda cool. Thanks for taking the time to share that!

@Hairster - That's another idea, too. Thanks for the input. I have so many options to think about now! And thanks for the kudos!

I have finished up all the heroes from Fireteam Zero, I just have to set up a photo shoot so I can share with you guys.
    Otherwise, I have made a teeny tiny bit of progress on Cap:
    Name:  IMG_20181209_204604.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  977.4 KB Name:  IMG_20181209_204611.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  951.7 KB Name:  IMG_20181209_204607.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  980.6 KB

Cap is looking awesome mate. Really like the strong contrast on the defined muscles. Nice work

Great job on this. If you don't mind me asking, what blues did you use, especially the highest one so far?

Yes, love the blue. You're on the right way

Welldone buddy!!!

Very nice transitions... that work with the blue is very professional

Ooh, this is shaping up really nicely. These superhero repaints are really fun to watch. More, more, more!