Octavian's 1st WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Octavian's 1st WIP

Okay so two articles ide like you to read that everybody should read if looking to up their game in the art of miniature painting. 1) on the reaper website it's called "the craft" - "the art of thinning paint!". This will tell you how thin each type of paint must be for shades,highlights,base colors and goes on in detail of what components are needed(like flow improver,drying retardants) , and in what ratios!!!
    next article is
    2) on the (Australian) "OZ painters" website forums and articles punch up the article called "the stop sign rule" this is the basis for how and why we get the darkest shadows and the brightest highlights,but also where to put the secondary shadows,the tertiary (3rdly) shadows the midtones / mid highlights where they go etc.

now go do your homeork and you'll immediately get better.

Sweet, thanks BAM! Those are two of my many downfalls with this art: thinning and where to put the shades and highlights. Especially with nmm; I'm not real sure how the light realistically reacts with certain metal surfaces. I've read articles and watched videos but it still escapes me. Hopefully by doing and getting help from you and others on here understanding will start to dawn.

You know what bud,it's like anything else talent your born with ,skill on the other hand is repetition until it reaches its highest peak and basically that being said it will dawn on you like any other thing,practice things even if you don't think they're clear to you and you'll eventually get that "A-HA" moment which is what we call it in sports,baseball batting, shooting a hockey puck,boxing footwork,basketball J shot etc etc...you'll get it.

This makes me feel better lol, I thought I was just being pedantic but I feel the word talented often belittles the sheer amount of time and practice put in to the hobby by the better painters, skilled is a much more accurate word in my experience.

On to the mini, I don't know much about him because I've only had one half hearted attempt at it, it requires super smooth blends and high contrast to get that simulated shiny look to it. Like all things it comes with practice, try getting some minis to use as exercise, I've found minis with cloaks or robes with lots of folds great for practicing blends and contrast, knights and such for metallics etc. As for a place to start I think blending and contrast is a good place to start, once you've got that down it feeds into everything else and luckily it's a skill used on pretty much every party of a mini so a) you get alot of practice and b) you can paint whatever you like. If you're in it just for fun or display and not so much gaming then i recommend some of the bigger scale stuff, it's more expensive but you get more surface area to practice on which can be easier than trying to do it on the usual 28mm stuff

@BAM - thanks for the encouragement. That's what I keep trying to tell myself. It's not going to just come naturally and I'm going to have to work at it to get better.

@Sicks - I have quite a few of the 28mm minis from the last time I was in the hobby over a decade ago so I'll probably burn through those first. Might as well practice on those before getting new stuff. Most of my spare change is being used to build up my paint and tools collection. Thereally are some pretty cool 54mm scale stuff out there I would love to get my hands on. In due time haha.

youve already got a bunch of minis then great when I got back into it after about 15 years I'd long since got rid of all my stuff so the startup cost was astounding lol (£40 just for a cheap gw brush, a few paints and a box of marines to paint) I dread to think of the total cost of my current paint collection never mind all the models and other assorted bits lol. I tend to let my family get my the bigger stuff for birthdays or father's day type gifts, it's more of a treat then but theyre great for practicing some things I find difficult like free hand or added details that are hard to fit on a 28mm figure

I held onto my stuff in the event I got back into the hobby, despite the effort of my wife trying to get rid of it, haha. But the paints had all dried out (I guess that happens when they haven't been touched in over a decade). Yeah, good thinking on the holiday gifts, it is nice getting something from someone else haha.

Did some more work on the armor bits. I wouldn't call even close to good but I'm proud of myself for taking the leap and actually trying it out. Still working on getting the paint consistency/viscosity to the right level, among many other things haha. Have a long, long-long, long, long-long-long, long way to go haha, but I'm taking those baby steps.
    Name:  20161106_122131.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  1.77 MBName:  20161106_122144.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1.71 MBName:  20161106_122155.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  1.79 MB
    Name:  20161106_122205.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  1.65 MBName:  20161106_122211.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  1.55 MBName:  20161106_122459.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  1.89 MB
    Last edited by Octavian80; 11-08-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Overall a really nice job should be proud of yourself for taking the reigns and jumping in head first . It's the only way to get something finished is to first take the steps to start it and try the newest techniques. Just keep asking folks questions and keep apinuing and implementing what your learning and muscle memory will take iver down the road less traveled. Rem it's very easy , tempting , and natural to go on auto pilot and do what your used to. So keep reminding yourself no matter how complex, or how little if an understanding you think you have keep going in the direction of those new things you have to get a grasp of to become a better painter. Keep up the great job oc!!!

Thanks BAM! I really do appreciate all the help and encouragement you've provided. I've been scouring through the forums and trying to absorb all the good tips and tricks members have posted over the years. CMON really is a treasure trove of knowledge for the hobby. Now, like you said, just have to put what I'm learning into practice.

Hi Octavian.

Very nice job with the NMM. I tried that as well earlier this year and my first attempt is nowhere near as good as yours. As someone also new-ish to the forums, I agree that the advice given and just the amount of knowledge learned from seeing other peoples work has improved my painting substantially.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Cap! Ya know, it looks good from far but far from good haha. But thanks for the encouragement. Hoping to get better eventually. Gotta keep plugging away at it

Cmon now where are the pics I'm on my 17 th model ,lets get crackalackin now!!!! Lol no rush just pics!!! No applause just money,n money just drugs...who said that!!! Lolololol

Lol I know I know! I haven't done anything this week. With the day job, family time, and our nightly workout I'm pretty blitzed at the end of the night. I need to add painting to my nightly regimen and persevere through the fatigue haha. I'm hoping to get some stuff done this weekend and then I'll post the progress.

Ahhh a family man.than take your time family first!!

Nice progress. I like the OSL on the chest skull. If you push the center of the eyes closer to white it will be even more convincing as a light source.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Nice progress. I like the OSL on the chest skull. If you push the center of the eyes closer to white it will be even more convincing as a light source.
    Thanks Bear! Now how would you suggest going about the white? Should I thin white down a lot and do a couple very thin layers? Or just add some white to the bright green I have? What I did recently was paint the eyes white then glazed over with a bright green.I've been meaning to post some new pics, just haven't got around to it. It looks a little brighter than the recent images.

Good question. I would just add some white to your bright green in maybe a couple glazes at the top of the curvature of the eye. It seems that glazing with white tends to be chaulky, so you are better off with the mix.

Here are some updated pics. I kind of rushed some things on my last paint sesh; I just want to get this guy done. I know that's not the right mindset, but damn haha. I could use some advice on the sword though. I'm not sure what I want the look to be. So any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Name:  20161114_220836.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  1.05 MB Name:  20161113_230040.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  1,001.4 KB Name:  20161114_053010.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  982.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hey all! It's been a little while since my last update.
    I think I'm calling this guy done for the time being. I know there's a little bit more to do, and some touch-ups, but I think I've exhausted my interest in him, haha, and can't bring myself to keep up with him for now. He's far from good but I think I've learned a lot of new things.
    Name:  20161209_195653.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  1.05 MBName:  20161209_195700.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  20161209_195709.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  1.25 MBName:  20161209_195724.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  1.30 MB
    Name:  20161209_195731.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  1.46 MBName:  20161209_195746.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  1.45 MB

Now, on to . . . Zombies!!!!
    Name:  20161201_192813.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  1.90 MB
    I know I'm a little late to the Zombicide party. My friends and I just got into playing it last month and I imagine it would be way cooler playing with painted figures. So I've consigned myself to painting up the horde and the survivors. We don't plan on playing again until after the new year, so hopefully I can bust them out this month. I have the whole last week of the year off so I plan on painting my little tooshie off, haha. I have started on suvivor Phil. Not trying to get too crazy quality with these guys and I'm still trying to figure out skin tones with the selection of paints I have, but I'm actually kind of pleased with how this is turning out so far.
    Name:  20161212_222517.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  970.9 KBName:  20161212_222521.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  968.2 KBName:  20161212_222526.jpg
Size:  928.2 KB

On a side note: The wife gave me an early Xmas present! She was tired of the paint bottles and tools being scattered around the house.
    Name:  20161211_103352.jpg
Size:  1.90 MB

Anyway, wish me luck with the zombies!
    And have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!