Thread: Misc Questions from a few weeks of gameplay.

Question Misc Questions from a few weeks of gameplay.

So my buddy and I have been playing once a week and have been making some judgement calls on rules as we play. Could you provide clarification? Thank you in advance for your help.

1. Expansion (Mazu) - Xia the Red Mist
    Has two seperate abilities (SHUNPO and SEVEN WINDS STRIKE) that state "May move through zones containing enemies". We made the assumption that you can move through, but NOT end on a zone with enemy deckhand, bosuns, or Hero's. Was that a correct interpretation?

2. Expansion (Mazu) - Windgates
    As I pop into and out of a windage - is that one zone or two? For example, I am in a zone NEXT TO a Windgate and want to move to another ship via Windgate. I physically move the piece into the Wingate (1 Zone Move) next to my model, then physically move the model to the target Windgate (another 1 Zone Move) - which counts an as one whole Action/Move? Or does that count as 1 Zone Move total?

3. Dead Man's Coin
    When does the dead mans coin get issued? Upon death of KO'ed Character or at end of your opponents turn and in your maintenance phase? That can have impact on return time of character.

Example 1: Opponents first hero move KO's my Captain. The Captain is removed from play field and given a dead man's coin black side up. At end of round, in my maintenance phase, the dead mans coin is shiny side up, and the character is out one full turn. So he was out the round he was KO'ed, out 1 full round, and back the second full round.
    Example 2: Opponents first hero move KO's my Captain. The Captain is removed from play field. At end of my opponents round and in my maintenance phase, he is given a dead man's coin black side up. My next round, it's gold side up. Essentially not coming back until my third round after two complete rounds pass.

4. Expansion (La Brise Defend and Mazu Attacking) - Emergency Rope
    When Emergency Rope is used by the defender, is the attackers attack forfeit or can the attack be used on an alternate target.

Situation 1: Last action of attacker, I focus on a hero who uses an emergency rope. But I have a second valid target in another zone next to me. Can that initial attack be used?
    Situation 2: In this specific case, on my last action (attack) an emergency rope was used taking away my target. I did have a tide card that would have allowed a free zone move which would have put me next to an alternate valid target. Could I have played tide card and used that last attack, or was that attack forfeit.

5. Any Set - Deckhands march off edge of boat?
    I had a situation in "expansion vs expansion" where I strategically gave up a Mazu's objective early. The game ended before this question could play out, but opposing deckhands were about to march right off the end of the boat. Do they stop at opposing boat edge or walk right off the ship?

Hi, here's how I interpret the rules.
    1. Your ruling was correct--movement can count zones containing enemies but may not end in a zone containing enemy figures.
    2. I recall that wind gates are treated as adjacent to each other for purposes of movement, not on top of each other (I didn't dig out my Mazu set to confirm). Spending an action on movement would let you move into one wind gate for one move point and then step to another wind gate for your second move point.
    3. The Dead Man's Coin is issued at the moment of death. It means the character will miss at least one full turn (perhaps two if killed before they acted in a given round).
    4. Attacks target zones. The attacker first states they are taking an attack action, then they pick a zone. At that point, a defender could play Emergency Rope to let one of their Heroes flee that zone. If there's any point to rolling (such as models or objectives still remain in that zone), the attacker continues by rolling dice for their attack and assigning hits as normal to the remaining figures. Emergency Rope doesn't generally remove targets, as most attacks target zones, not figures. If an attack targets a figure and not a zone, Emergency Rope won't help.
    5. By the rules, the deckhands stop when they can no longer advance towards the enemy deployment zone. You might want to house rule how deckhands act or deploy against factions with more than three deployment zones if you find your games having lots of deckhands grouped on top of a defeated objective.

Thanks for the reply Aaron, your feedback makes sense.

What say you CMON Mr. Black. Anything else to add?

Expansion (Mazu) - Xia the Red Mist
    Has two separate abilities (SHUNPO and SEVEN WINDS STRIKE) that state "May move through zones containing enemies". We made the assumption that you can move through, but NOT end in a zone with the enemy deckhand, bosuns, or Hero's. Was that a correct interpretation?
    Is it true?

Right, the game prevents opposing figures from sharing a zone (other as part of resolving movement or an action, like in your example).