Egg tempera - tutorial

Thread: Egg tempera - tutorial

Default Egg tempera - tutorial

Hi there,
    I was not interested in paper painting, I usually do fabric painting. But after seeing this painting http://www.robertsgallery.net/galler...kon-territory/, I got interested in egg tempera. I thought that it was done with egg shell but after researching, I found that it was painted with egg yolk and water. I would like to get the tutorial for the egg tempera. I wish I could paint similar to the one in the picture. Can someone help me with this?

I know there are tons of fantastic artist's here, but these forums have a significant bent towards painting figures. I'm not sure this is the place to get your answers.

This is an odd post.

A brand-new user with not quite grammatical English posting about something way off topic (for a miniatures forum) and linking to elseweb smacks of spam to me.

Be that as it may, just in case anyone is interested in egg tempera, I've been painting with it for decades, and I've been painting minis for even longer, and egg tempera is in my professional and considered opinion totally unsuitable for miniatures painting.

Egg tempera is painted on an absorbent chalk ground related to plaster. This ground is water-soluble and tends to fill in gaps something fierce. It is likely to obliterate any fine detail on a figure. And if it gets wet after the painting dries it is may swell and flake off.

Egg tempera paint is a fast drier but takes a very long time to fully cure. It will remain tender and easily scraped for months.

Frankly, a mini painted with egg tempera is probably going to remain unhandleable for its lifetime.