Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting Tips by Ghool

Default Painting Tips by Ghool

I haven't posted much in these forums before. But, I've been making tutorials for quite some time.
    So, in light of me actually gaining enough courage to share my painting tips in these forums, I am providing a link to my YouTube channel.
    I currently have about 50 videos, most of which are under 20 minutes. I attempt to provide the most robust amount of information as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MiniGhool/videos

There is also links in every video description to my Patreon page, which has all of my written articles, contests to win painted minis, and all of my resources in one place.
    Check it out if you're so inclined, or if you find what I do helpful.

Cheers!

very nice stuff
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Hiya Ghool. I recognize your user name from other mini sites, and I've been a fan of your painting style for some time.

I'm looking forward to checking these tutorials out.

A new one this week, covering black leather:

Quick question for you Ghool. I notice you are using a two brush technique. I'm assuming you are just blending with that 2nd brush, but how much moisture do you have on that brush?

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Quick question for you Ghool. I notice you are using a two brush technique. I'm assuming you are just blending with that 2nd brush, but how much moisture do you have on that brush?
    I soak until it's bloated, then remove the excess by rolling it on my tongue. It's damp not wet.
    It should leave a shiny thin film on a surface.

Default New Episode

One that covers some basic stuff. It's out of the weekly rotation due to it being a bonus episode.

Quick Tip #39 - How to Paint Native American Skin

This video is another in the series of painting skin, and covers the basic colours for Native American, or Amerindian skin. I cover two different colours and tones and the colours used for shades and highlights.
    Just remember to use warm tones, and browns containing reds, and oranges.

When listing the colours used below, the number in brackets is the number of highlights used for each model. Each highlight and shade is always mixed with the Base colour. Simply add more of each highlight or shade for each subsequent layer.

Colours used:

Una the Falconer
    Base - Idrian Flesh
    Shade 1 - Sanguine Base
    Shade 2 - Umbral Umber
    Highlights (2) - Khardic Flesh

Female Indian Scout
    Base - Bloodstone
    Shade 1 - Umbral Umber
    Highlights (3) - Midlund Flesh

Quick Tip #40 - How to Paint a Colour: Brown

One of the easiest colours to paint, and master in miniature painting - brown. One of my favourite colours which is also one of the most-used colours. A wide-ranging colour that doesn't get the credit it deserves!
    I discuss methods and colours for painting brown of various shades and tints and which browns work well together.

All colours used in this video were Formula P3 by Privateer Press unless otherwise stated. When a number appears in brackets after a shade/highlight, that is the number of shade/highlight layers applied, with each subsequent layer having more highlight/shade added to the base colour.

Brown 1:
    Base - Bootstrap Leather
    Shade (2) - Battlefield Brown
    Highlight 1 - Beast Hide
    Highlight 2 - Hammerfall Khaki

Brown 2:
    Base - Gun Corps Brown
    Shade (2) - Battlefield Brown
    Highlight 1 - Rucksack Tan
    Highlight 2 - 'Jack Bone

In order to create a darker brown, start with a deeper base, and paint the highlights smaller. Experiment with tints and shades, as brown is the most versatile colour you can use. You can also create your own browns by mixing colours opposite each other on the colour wheel if you have a limited palette (blue + orange, green+red, purple+yellow).

Quick Tip #41 - How to Paint Hair: Blonde

This instructional falls into the series of 'How to Paint Hair' and covers blondes, or yellow hair.
    Basic colour use, and where to place highlights for maximum contrast and effect are discussed and demonstrated.

All paints used in this video are Formula P3 by Privateer Press unless stated otherwise. When a shade or highlight has a number in brackets after it, this is the number of highlights/shades applied with each subsequent shade/highlight having more of that particular colour mixed with the base.

Colours used:
    Base - Rucksack Tan
    Shade - Bloodtracker Brown
    Highlight 1 - Menoth White Base
    Highlight 2 (3) - Sulfuric Yellow(spot) & Menoth White Highlight

Alternates:
    Base - any yellows or tans
    Shades - any browns, or a spot of blue
    Highlights - creamy whites, ivory, yellow-whites.

I watched the latest one.

Content:
    Really interesting because i recently painted a lot of blond hair and i also use p3 colors.
    I really liked your different color composition suggestions in the middle of the video.
    Especially because you cover all angles.

Color:
    Im just about to order new p3 colors.
    I use "Menoth white Highlight" as my generell off-white. (eye background, highlight on bright colors ect)
    Do you think there is any point of ordering "Menoth white Base" or "Frostbite"?
    I feel like this are colors that are fast and easy mixed in the rare occasion you need them but i go from the reference pdf that is a little bit off.
    Also do "Gun Corps Brown" adds something if i own all other browns? It look just like "Bootstrap leather" (my standard brown).

Video:
    I have a little critic here:
    The music, the different cuts, the title and the fact that you speak fast make it a "quick tip". The content is sold painting advise over 12:28.
    That don't fit together. I think a more "chill" approach would fit better to the content or you cut the content shorter.
    Last edited by anotherpainter; 12-08-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherpainter View Post
    1. Do you think there is any point of ordering "Menoth white Base" or "Frostbite"?
    2. I feel like this are colors that are fast and easy mixed in the rare occasion you need them but i go from the reference pdf that is a little bit off.
    3. Also do "Gun Corps Brown" adds something if i own all other browns? It look just like "Bootstrap leather" (my standard brown).
    First of all thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you got some use out of them, and they were at the very least, helpful.

1. Yes. They're nice colours to use for highlighting. I almost always mix them in with other colours for highlights instead of whites. I find it gives a softer contrast, and a little more realistic look. Plus they wash out less under intense light and photos.

2. The colour reference pdf is a bit off, and not all the colours work, or produce good results. For the most part it works. It just requires a bit of experimentation is all.

3. It's a more yellow-ish brown, and is a much different colour from Bootstrap Leather. It's not as warm as the other browns, and makes for a nice base for woods, and more worn, military style leathers.

And lastly, I wanted to make the quick tips around 20 minutes or so, preferably around 15. The thing is, if it's too short, I can't include enough colour, shade, and highlight information (and this is largely what people want/need, and have been requesting of me). A more chill, and longer approach would work, but as it stands, my stats are showing me that 95% of viewers don't watch on average, more than 5 minutes. I'm simply catering to what the viewing audience, and what my stats are telling me.

Thank you again for taking the time to watch and respond. It's very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot. I will buy the colors.
    The main problem i had with p3 bronws is, that none of them worked unmixed for wood. If "Gun Corps Brown" can do that i need it for sure.

About the 5 min:
    Keep in mind that people switch around on youtube. Like skipping the intro and outro, skipping parts they are not intressted in and then watching others twice.
    Thats at least how i watch all youtube videos. Its not like people start watching and turn it off at X min.

Quick Tip #42 - How to Paint Feathers, or Fine Detail

This is another video on glazing and washing. Only this time, I start with a white base, and glaze to tint and shade. The very end is simply a few ticks of white to get some 'pop' on the detail.

But, you can just glaze and tint a white surface that has very fine detail instead of trying to have an uber-steady hand to paint shallow details and miniscule textures.
    Welcome to my easy way out for painting fine details without having to master brush control.

All colours used in this video are Formula P3 by Privateer Press, unless otherwise noted.

Colours used:
    Base - Menoth White Highlight
    Glaze 1 - Rucksack Tan
    Glaze 2 - Bloodtracker Brown
    Glaze 3 - Bloodtracker Brown/Battlefield Brown

You can substitute just about any colours for your glazes. Just ensure they get darker with each subsequent glaze. Have fun with this method and experiment. You'll find there are some great and unexpected colour combinations that will work well with this.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherpainter View Post
    Thanks a lot. I will buy the colors.
    The main problem i had with p3 bronws is, that none of them worked unmixed for wood. If "Gun Corps Brown" can do that i need it for sure.

About the 5 min:
    Keep in mind that people switch around on youtube. Like skipping the intro and outro, skipping parts they are not intressted in and then watching others twice.
    Thats at least how i watch all youtube videos. Its not like people start watching and turn it off at X min.
    I also have another exclusive series that is more chill, longer, and in-depth. But, it's for Patrons only and comes out once a month.

Quick Tip #43 - Assembly and Pinning Tips

This video is a great introduction to assembly. I cover the tools needed, and show you how to clean, assemble, and pin just about anything. After you watch this, no model assembly will ever be too intimidating!
    I also cover safety precautions to take when filing and cleaning metal and resin.

X-Mas Special - How to Paint Hair: White

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope Santa treated you well!

If you want to win the painted Bad Santa featured in this video, just sign up and pledge on my Patreon page, and you're automatically entered!
    The draw will happen on January 2nd 2017. I will feature the draw and winner in a video on that day.

This video is another in the series of 'How to Paint Hair', and covers white hair. And what better subject for painting white hair, than Santa himself! But, not any ordinary Santa, no, no! It just wouldn't be proper if there wasn't something weird and/or creepy about the Santa that I paint!
    I go over several colour choices and recipes for painting white hair, involving several unexpected shades.

All paints used in this video are formula P3, unless stated otherwise.

Base: Bastion Gray
    Highlight 1: Menoth White Base
    Highlight 2: Menoth White Highlight
    Wash: Bastion Gray
    Highlight 3: Menoth White Highlight/Morrow White (25/75)

White hair will always be highlighted with whites. The shades are what you can use to match colour harmonies or create colour contrasts on the miniature.

Alternate Shades: Frostbite, Underbelly Blue, Cryx Bane Highlight, Trollblood Highlight, Hammerfall Khaki, 'Jack Bone, Beast Hide, Gun Corps Brown, Rucksack Tan, Ironhull Grey, Greatcoat Grey, Thrall Flesh.

White hair is an easy one to experiment with, as pretty much anything can be used for shading.

Double shot today.

Quick Tip #44 - Basic Gap Filling

This is another video covering some very basic, beginner techniques we all take for granted. In this video, I show you how to handle and mix epoxy putty (green stuff, brown stuff, Kneadatite, etc.) and how to fill small and medium sized gaps on a model.
    Some very basic, beginner stuff here, but it's also something we don't see a lot of coverage on.

and

Quick Tip #45 - How to Make Putty Mushrooms/Toadstools

I get asked about this all the time. So, it's about high time I made a video about it.
    Need to know what to do with your extra putty from gap filling or sculpting? This video will provide the answer. Mini mushrooms or toad stools!

I watch your videos just to hear you say

"GHOOOOOLS PAINTING TIPS"

lol

In all honesty, your vids are great. Even ones that are 'basic' (like the gapfilling one) still teach me stuff.

I'd not heard that Pro-Create was toxic. I'm not liking the way the procreate has worked for me anyhow, since the last batch seemed 'stiff' and really hard to get pliable...I think I'll switch back to good old tried and true GS.

I also have never used any sort of vaseline/lip balm....I have just used a little cup of water to dip my tool in. I suppose an advantage to that would be I don't have to have the extra 'clean up' step. But, the Procreate has never been as sticky as GS, so maybe there is a real advantage there. My wife has about a thousand lip balms scattered around the house, I doubt she'll miss one if I give that a go.

Thanks again for your vids!

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    I watch your videos just to hear you say

"GHOOOOOLS PAINTING TIPS"

lol

In all honesty, your vids are great. Even ones that are 'basic' (like the gapfilling one) still teach me stuff.

I'd not heard that Pro-Create was toxic. I'm not liking the way the procreate has worked for me anyhow, since the last batch seemed 'stiff' and really hard to get pliable...I think I'll switch back to good old tried and true GS.

I also have never used any sort of vaseline/lip balm....I have just used a little cup of water to dip my tool in. I suppose an advantage to that would be I don't have to have the extra 'clean up' step. But, the Procreate has never been as sticky as GS, so maybe there is a real advantage there. My wife has about a thousand lip balms scattered around the house, I doubt she'll miss one if I give that a go.

Thanks again for your vids!
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'm glad you enjoy the idiocy I express in my intros. I figured if I acted like an idiot and made you smile the first few seconds, then it made the whole thing worth it.
    And if I make myself look like a fool, you as a viewer will feel less intimidated by what I have to say. I've always been a bit of a clown though, and that just seems to naturally come out when the camera is on.

And yes, Procreate has several bad chemicals in it, one of which is a known endocrine disruptor. If you still use it, I would suggest wearing gloves while you handle it.