How do i make realistic muddy WW1 base?

Thread: How do i make realistic muddy WW1 base?

Default How do i make realistic muddy WW1 base?

Question i have been asked to paint some tactical arcanist corps, now since i have free reign to paint them as i want and make a base.
    I decided to make the base a little like what we see in the artwork.
    in other words a battlefield.
    So i was wondering any advice on how to make the base look a little like a muddy WW1 battlefield.
    I was thinking that i might need to buy the secret weapons miniature trench set.
    But since i live in Denmark and there might get some customs duties put on, i was wondering if there might be some alternatives?
    I already have several vallejo pigments
    Dark red ochre, natural sienna, brown iron oxide, burnt sienna, burnt umber and carb black.
    Plus Vallejo still water and wooden popsicles.
    So what else might i need to make some great battle field bases?
    I could imagine some vallejo texture paste might be needed, but i´m not sure.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/d87b6cc59...ysvo1_1280.png

Have you seen "Tanker Magazine" ? http://www.tankermagazine.com/

Issue 5 is all about adding mud to models and bases. Well worth looking at that to help you. It is all about selling their products (AK Interactive paints and effects) but anything like that - Mig paint for example will do fine.

You can find out more on their facebook page too if you just search Tanker Magazine. I've not tried the techniques yet so I can't recommend any more than just buying the mag. Hope that helps.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikjust View Post

I was thinking that i might need to buy the secret weapons miniature trench set.
    But since i live in Denmark and there might get some customs duties put on, i was wondering if there might be some alternatives?
    Get someone you can trust to buy it in the U.K. And post it to you as a gift.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

AK international just dropped a new line of products some, that can be used to make what you're looking for. Basically it does everything the secret weapons kit does minus wood and barbed wire. I have the kits they work out great, AK is from Spain so that might help off the set the cost cause there already on your side of the pond.

I order up there muddy water blend for a more consistent looking water, and few other try things out.

As far as making the wood, coffee stirs work great as there thin enough so you can find what you are needing and try to avoid VAT and import fees.