Tyranid Hive Tyrant

Thread: Tyranid Hive Tyrant

Default Tyranid Hive Tyrant

Finally had some time to work on this beauty. The holidays have really put the crunch on my time to paint.
    I was working on some of the TL-Devourers from ForgeWorld, but I absolutely hate resin and they looked really terrible when I got done with them. I think I'll just try to find some Tyrannofex Fleshborer Hive bits on eBay or something and use those instead.
    Anyway! Thoughts? Opinions?

Attached Images Attached Images          

I really like your style....clean and subtle. A very cool combination.

Do you use an airbrush? Everything is so smooth.

I like the scheme. My only complaint would be that your photos are a bit dark, and maybe the black areas could use a little more stark highlight to make them pop more.

Yes, I do use an airbrush. It's an Iwata Eclipse... I really like it so far.

Thank you for the compliments. I'm trying to go for a more natural-looking color scheme that has a bit of dirtiness to it. I did have two of the Twin-linked Devourers from ForgeWorld painted somewhat, but I'm hating resin as a texture to paint on... there's just something that doesn't feel right; I painted them exactly the same way as the rest of the pieces of my Hive Tyant but they look 10x worse for some unexplainable reason. I'm still trying to find Tyrannofex Fleshborer Hives to use instead but eBay and bit-selling websites seem to be dry. About the shell... I did try drybrushing edge-highlights on some Gargoyles I have posted a few threads down. It was okay... it didn't make me love or hate them any more or less. I've not sold myself on doing them on anymore models, yet.

As for the photos, I actually just got my Foldio2 light box and I'm still a total novice when it comes to taking pictures. I might have to rig one of the LED light bars towards the back because I'm having trouble situating a large model like the Hive Tyrant in a way that it's well-lit from all angles. Also, my iPhone 5C has the worst camera in the world. I'm considering getting a real camera with a tripod to take better pictures.
    Last edited by readysteadydraw; 01-03-2017 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by readysteadydraw View Post
    As for the photos, I actually just got my Foldio2 light box and I'm still a total novice when it comes to taking pictures. I might have to rig one of the LED light bars towards the back because I'm having trouble situating a large model like the Hive Tyrant in a way that it's well-lit from all angles. Also, my iPhone 5C has the worst camera in the world. I'm considering getting a real camera with a tripod to take better pictures.
    Personally I don't rate those Foldio light boxes or actually any other sort of light tent, they flatten images off. You're better off just curving a large piece of white paper up against something to form an infinity curve and then using the lights you paint with either side of the piece fairly close in. If they are causing too much glare use some thin white paper or tracing paper to diffuse them. Or shoot in daylight right by a window or outside if possible. If you're not getting enough light from a window use a piece of white paper the other side of the piece to bounce light back into it.

Your iPhone will struggle as the Foldio is a very bright white and what your iPhone is doing is trying to expose to get everything right which includes the overly bright white background, therefore it will make your piece look darker. You could try shooting against black instead but as there is so much black on this piece I don't know how that will work either. It's a tricky balance. A camera with manual setting would help but then you get into learning a whole load of other techniques.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

I certainly don't have the time or patience for taking photos.

It's a lot of work to get the setup right, lights, tripods, etc. Then as eyeayen mentions you'll have to learn about the Manual settings of the camera.

It certainly can be done, as there are hundreds on this site that do it wonderfully, but I just never wanted to spend my time with it.

I have a really nice Canon EOS Ti2 Camera and still take horrible pictures. I just got a Samsung Galaxy 6 for my work phone, and I'll be damned if I don't get better pictures from that than I do the Canon.

I understand what supervike is saying, photography can seem like a lot of effort but you will get clearer images from an SLR than a phone and if you can set it up it is worth doing.

Photography is such a wide subject to cover and not easy to do it quickly. However, these days it's so easy as every time you press the button you can instantly see the results on your camera or phone, if it's on a camera and you're using on manual it's actually really easy to sort, if the image is too dark, make it lighter, if it's too light, make it darker, it's on dial to control that and easier than you think.

In all honesty for just posting online images phones are incredible these days. They do it all for you and maybe an SLR isn't needed. However I would rather stick to my SLR as I have more control and that's why I use it.

What I will say for SLR's is everything you need to do it completely formulaic and once you have it right you won't need to change anything much for the rest of your mini photographs for the future. You will get larger and clearer images too but that might also take a little processing, I've been into photography almost as long as I've painted mini's and am used to it as I learned it at school and have carried that knowledge forward, however if you're coming into it blind it can seem daunting. I'll try and explain everything you need to do which takes way longer to read than it will to do, it's actually really easy.

Get your mini set up on a nice big bit of paper or card curving up to the wall and taped in place so it doesn't move. Then the lights you use for painting, one or two, get them to light the mini how you want it to be shown, if they are too intense use some tracing paper or grease proof paper or something translucent to diffuse the the light that's hitting your mini. Don't have it touching the light, just near it so it doesn't burn !

So... Onto the camera, get this in place on a tripod. If you don't have a tripod put a cushion or bean bag on a chair and use the self timer to take the shot. So now you're shot is set up and ready to take, (some lenses have a build in stabilisation to help you take better hand held pictures without wobble, once the camera is on the tripod this needs to be switched off or the camera will try and compensate for movements as it won't know it's on a tripod).

Why are camera's so scary ? Admittedly camera's do have a lot of settings but once you've done it the first few times you might want to tweak settings a little to get it right and then so long as you keep the camera in roughly the same place with the same lights it will just be a case of putting the settings in the same as you had before and pressing the button, easy

Part of the reason camera's often struggle is the white balance is set incorrectly. White balance is as the name suggests how the camera reads white. You should have settings within the white balance menu for out door bright sunny days, out door dull cloudy days, indoor and fluorescent lighting. There might also be a Kelvin setting where you can set it manually, Kelvin is how light is measured, average daylight is around 5500k, but if you're shooting indoors depending on the light sourced used it can be around the 3000k mark. Anyway I'm over complicating this and it can be corrected on the computer if required later. However if you can get it right in camera that's better. These days camera white balance is good so you should be able to use the Auto setting but it's always nice to understand how to fine tune that.

Then if you can use the camera in manual mode it will have 3 main settings: ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture.
    ISO is a photographic standard for film speed, you can set this between 100 and 400 and get perfect results for shooting mini's. It's essentially how quick the camera's sensor can read light and therefore how quick it can record the image.
    Shutter Speed is exactly as the name suggests how long the shutter stays open and exposes the camera's sensor to capture the image. As we are shooting a still subject this can be as long as you need so long as the camera doesn't move.
    Aperture controls depth of field which allows the background to blur out. Personally as we are shooting mini's I would keep it around f14 or there abouts. If you set it on f2.8 or something really low you might find parts of the mini become out of focus.

Now you understand what each of those 3 do all you have to do is balance them to get your shot. Personally I'd set the ISO as low as you can, 100 if possible, my Nikon doesn't go below 200, it depends what camera you have. Set your aperture for f14 then if you half press the shutter button you should see a small gauge appear in the bottom of the view finder with a zero at it's centre and a plus to the left and a minus to the right. Next to both of these might be an arrow symbol indicating if you are going to create an image too dark or too light. If you roll the dial on your camera you should eventually see an indicator line move across the gauge area, if you set this to the zero that's where the camera thinks it should be to take the picture. So fire it off and see what it looks like. If you're shooting against white you might find the mini is too dark. This is where you can take control though and over ride what the camera thinks and this is where it's better than using it on auto. Move that dial so the indicator lines goes toward the plus and take another shot, the white will be even brighter but the mini should be looking better. Keep messing about until you're happy with it.

Take a shot with your phone to show how you have it set up, make measurements if you want as to how far the camera is away from the mini, write down all your camera settings and next time you go to photography a mini it should just be putting in all the same settings to get decent results.

There are a few other things that I'll mention quickly, your camera will have a metering system, this is how it evaluates the light coming into the scene. If you can focus it on the mini and use spot metering you might find it gives a better result. Similarly manual focusing will probably be more accurate. For this I normally try and get it as good as I can through the view finder, then I will put the live view on the rear screen and zoom in as much as I can using the + button so I can clearly see my focus, adjusting as required and moving the image around with the cursor, you should get pin sharp results with that.

Hope that helps everyone, seriously it's worth doing, it will soon become second nature what you need to do and turning the camera off of auto will be the best thing you've ever done.
    Last edited by eyeayen; 01-04-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: To word better and include additional info
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.