Canadian Cadian army

Thread: Canadian Cadian army

Newbie, please be gentle Caggles's Avatar

Default Canadian Cadian army

Hi all, I'm very new to painting, but I do have a voracious appetite for YouTube videos and tutorials.

Yes, I misheard Cadian. Yes, I then thought hell, why not make them Canadian.

I'm aware that I need to thin my paint even more - I am using 1 : 1 or 2 : 1 water to paint right now, but find if I put more water than that it just pools everywhere and the colour doesn't stay where I want it.

Glazing looks like something I ought to try, but we'll see how that goes!

Anyway, you're here to look at pretty pictures, not listen to me witter on, so here goes.

Name:  IMG_20161229_111636-800x600.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20161229_111628-800x600.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20161230_235009-800x600.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  87.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Generally pretty good for early efforts. Your highlighting is a little bit too... everywhere. It makes it hard to determine where the light source is that's causing them.
    There are some great OSL articles in the articles section that can help you with that.

When you're mixing your paint, you generally want it to be about the consistancy of milk. I find this seams to be at about the 2.5:1 ratio of water to paint, but this can vary
    with what kind of paints you use. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

Being a canuck, myself, I love the Canadian theme on them.

Keep on painting. We only get better, the more we do it.

Appreciate the comments, Naukhel.

Finished off the crewman to go with the lascannons today, and have tried (tried!) to keep the highlights consistent with an overhead light source.

Name:  IMG_20161231_163944-768x1024.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  137.8 KBName:  IMG_20161231_164045-1024x768.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  132.6 KBName:  IMG_20161231_164115-1024x768.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  134.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fitting. Both Imperial Guard and Canadians make great cannon fodder o_O Too soon? Nah. It's funny.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Love the Canadian Cadians!

I think you've got some good looking paint skills!

The paint is a bit thick in spots, but just keep going, you're on the right track.

I'd suggest doing something more with those bases....It just seems unfinished to have them stark black.

Not sure what to do with them, if I'm honest. Never based anything before, so I'm going in blind (but again, so many youtube tutorials!). I'm thinking browns (darker than the guardsmen's clothing, but a similar hue, because if they're supposed to be camouflaged, then the terrain ought to bear some semblance to their clothing), with some small rocks and shrubs - Youtube suggests sand, crushed coral, and bits of grassy tufts from model railway kits, but I'm open to suggestions!

Of course, doing up a base is a personal choice, but I'd start with something simple, like sand.

Just spread a little glue on the base-top (avoid the sides), dip it in a bowl of sand. Let it dry, give it a wash or two of a dirt color, then drybrush a lighter shade a few times. Viola! Cadian Canadians in the field!

After doing a few, then you can start adding bigger rocks, or tufts of grass, or really go to town by using epoxy putty and making sidewalks or pavements.