Question on Primers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Primers

Wink Question on Primers

Hey everyone hope your having a great day. I had a quick question. I am new to painting miniatures and I noticed that it seems like that most primers are for airbrushing. Im not close to using an airbrush yet and I was wondering if you could use a paint brush and paint on the air brush primer or if that wouldn't work or if it could ruin a miniature? Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you all in advance.

It will not ruin a miniature. Worst case, soak figure in Simple Green for 24 hours, scrub with old tooth brush under hot water and start over.

I've used Vallejo airbrush polyurethane primer both by manual brush and air brush. It works better from an airbrush, but it works acceptably via manual brush as well. I like this primer on reaper bones, the hard resin Battle front uses for tanks, plastics, but not for metal models. You just don't don't want top brush on too much -- aim for a thin coat.

For metal models, I prefer flat black or flat white spray paint from a rattle/spray can.

The airbrush primers are quite thin and don't paint so well. Can you not use aerosol cans ? That will stick better being a solvent based product but you'd need to do it outside or in a garage or something as it will stink your house up real quick and that's not healthy.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
    The airbrush primers are quite thin and don't paint so well. Can you not use aerosol cans ? That will stick better being a solvent based product but you'd need to do it outside or in a garage or something as it will stink your house up real quick and that's not healthy.
    I have tried Aerosol cans but I end up using to much. Im not very good using them. I have used the Citadel black brush on primer and it seems to work great but I'm needing to use some white primers for my Stormtroopers from Star Wars Imperial Assault.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs101 View Post
    It will not ruin a miniature. Worst case, soak figure in Simple Green for 24 hours, scrub with old tooth brush under hot water and start over.

I've used Vallejo airbrush polyurethane primer both by manual brush and air brush. It works better from an airbrush, but it works acceptably via manual brush as well. I like this primer on reaper bones, the hard resin Battle front uses for tanks, plastics, but not for metal models. You just don't don't want top brush on too much -- aim for a thin coat.

For metal models, I prefer flat black or flat white spray paint from a rattle/spray can.
    Ok awesome thank you so much for the information. I didn't know if there was anything different between paint on primer and the Air Brush Primer. I have tried the spray on primers and I tend to use to much. I haven't ever used the white primers but I want to on my Storm Troopers for Imperial assault and on some of my zombies for Zombicide Black Plague. Thank you again so much for the info I appreciate it.

If you're using too much primer, hold the can further away from the mini and do less passes, you can always add more if you need to.

Regarding aerosol cans...
    1) make sure you're holding the figures 8-12 inches away at least. More distance --> more dispersed paint, less on model.
    2) Start by spraying to the right of the model, and get and goo stream of spray going, and then pass the stream of paint spray quickly over the model to the left, and then stop spraying. You'll need two more more passes to get into recesses (You can stray black upwards into the crotch and armpits and then white from above into head and shoulders to pre-highlight. If you really thin your paints, this "zenithal" highlighting helps.)

If you're using too much primer, hold the can further away from the mini and do less passes, you can always add more if you need to.
    Ok ill try that. Just didn't know if I could brush on Air Brush Primer because I found some Vallejo Air Brush Primer online for cheap and didn't know if it would work by brushing it on.

badger & vallejo make primers you can brush on. Just let them dry for 12-24 hours. They are self leveling and entirely awesome.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by mjs101 View Post
    Regarding aerosol cans...
    1) make sure you're holding the figures 8-12 inches away at least. More distance --> more dispersed paint, less on model.
    2) Start by spraying to the right of the model, and get and goo stream of spray going, and then pass the stream of paint spray quickly over the model to the left, and then stop spraying. You'll need two more more passes to get into recesses (You can stray black upwards into the crotch and armpits and then white from above into head and shoulders to pre-highlight. If you really thin your paints, this "zenithal" highlighting helps.)
    I was actually going to ask the best way to spray if I use Aerosol thank you so much for that info. That definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    badger & vallejo make primers you can brush on. Just let them dry for 12-24 hours. They are self leveling and entirely awesome.
    I was looking for the badger primers but all i could find was the Air Brush Primers. Do you know anywhere online I can find the non airbrush type?

I just bought a Badger 'Airbrush primer' specifically to use as brush on.

It works just fine....It's thin enough to easily brush on, but thick enough to stay put.

It was this one I bought.
    Name:  719PAHCOCeL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  120.7 KB

(Not as big as pictured! LOL)

That's the same kind i use. The vallejo ones work too. Cereal, Don't be fooled by the airbrush label. It just means it can be air brushed on. Not that you have to If you can;t get badger try the vellejo stuff. It's very good too.

First thing what I checked with Badger stynylrez was tryout to brush it on mini and its great for it it if you need it much better then vallejo, main thing you can sand it after if you spot some scrach or need to work more on mould lines. From my experience best white aerosol primer is citadel white scull primer I think its called like that now. But its going to be expensive looking that you want to cover all model with it for space troopers. Check some art shop or ebay for cheap white spray safe for plastic, dust mini first with citadel then paint with cheap spray.
    One day I will finish that mini

I've only ever tried the one pot of Vallejo brush-on primers (white) - I found that I needed to use 3-4 coats to get half-decent coverage, and that this was causing noticeable build-up obscuring some detailed areas (particularly around hand-grips on weapons). Is this expected, or might I have a bad pot?

I'm temporarily off spray primers due to the temperature outside (leaving minis with ghastly blotchy textures), but think I'll be returning to them as soon as I can.

If you want colours as opposed to standard grey, white or black primers you can get Montana or other graffiti type aerosols cheaper than GW sprays, good paint, sticks well.

The airbrush primers are quite thin and don't paint so well.
    D'errr excuse me?
    Airbrush primers are much better than rattle can for most painting purposes, and I've been using rattle cans since the 70's.
    Even brushed on the surface is still fine. Do one coat, allow to dry or hairdryer dry, then do second coat no loss of detail good paint adhesion.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I think you misinterpreted my badly worded reply Dragonsreach.

I meant airbrush primers are quite thin and don't brush so well as that what the original question was referring to. I've not tried the Badger one but when I tried to brush the Vallejo airbrush pimer it didn't work so well.

Vallejo white primer is a bit thin, but their grey and black brush on great and badger is just about the best primer i have used ever, brush or air.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Vallejo white primer is a bit thin, but their grey and black brush on great and badger is just about the best primer i have used ever, brush or air.
    Thanks. Maybe time to give grey a go. Is this typical of white primers on the whole, or just the Vallejo range?