New Years Resolutions?

Thread: New Years Resolutions?

Default New Years Resolutions?

So, have any that you made for your hobby?

I have resolved to not buy any new miniatures. That's going to be tough. But, I figure it will help be start appreciating my enormous and often ignored lead/plastic/resin mountain.

I resolved to try and paint/model/do something with my hobby, at least once a week. Whether that's simply cleaning moldlines or full blown sculpting.

I definitely need to stay away from Kickstarters! I bought into too many in the last few years. They are extremely tempting, and exciting..but I really don't need hundreds of more miniatures that I don't touch.

I need to get my hobby room back into usable shape. It's kind of become a collect all room in the last few years, and it's a pain to do or find anything in there. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's a leftover peanut butter sandwich in there. That includes culling the lead pile too. Whether through painting,trading, selling or giving away, I'm going to cut down the amount of unassembled unpainted minis.

Whew...sounds like a 12 step program!

I'm supervike, and i have a problem.

So, what about you?
    Last edited by supervike; 01-05-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Im definitely going to do something hobby related at least once a week.
    As im starting a new job/career im a little concerned how it will impact on my painting time but I suppose its all about going with the flow.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I'm not one for making resolutions and like ten I am starting a new job soon. Something I've not done in my previous jobs is made time for myself though and for that reason I'm sorting out my hobby room as painting in the conservatory is not practical if I want somewhere set up all the time so my aim is to paint for a minimum of 1 hour per day at least 5 days a week. More if I can. However not having done this for about 17 years my eyes aren't what they used to be and in all honesty I don't think I can manage much more than an hour a day.

As to the mini back log I have in metal mini's from when I used to do this vs getting a new job (read as spending money ) and all the new companies and plastic's I'm discovering I've already started a new stock pile...

Once I have my desk set up and shelves up (hopefully this weekend) I will start a WIP thread, and that's part of my unofficial resolution, to post and keep that up together.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

New jobs for the New Year? Good on both of ya!

I had a ton of stress from starting a new position about 5 years ago....and completely avoided my hobby. But, I finally figured out that it's a pretty zen thing to do, and the calming effects of painting are as good as prozac. (i don't really know that, I've never taken Prozac....but painting really does reign in some of your stress.

Paint more, sleep less?

My usual resolution (which I never keep) is to only buy as many figures as I actually finished. Ha, if I keep it down to just two new figures or every one I finish I'll consider that a success!

Aside from that, just to keep pushing myself and try to make each project better than the last one.

I finished a Helldorado army in 2016.
    My resolution in 2017 is to finish a Khorne Bloodbound army. And possibly get started on a new Confrontation Griffin Templar army for Confrontation EVO.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Keep beating , keep breathing.
    Anything beyond that is a bonus.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

That's actually first time when I'm doing this and only because I need go back to organising myself in time. So lets start from being more active on cool mini forum, restart my wip thread, build my painting station (that's in progress), spend more time on painting and maybe record some tuts for YT
    One day I will finish that mini

No resolutions! but for the first time in a long time I am painting /sculpting regularly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    No resolutions! but for the first time in a long time I am painting /sculpting regularly again.

Good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    New jobs for the New Year? Good on both of ya!

I had a ton of stress from starting a new position about 5 years ago....and completely avoided my hobby. But, I finally figured out that it's a pretty zen thing to do, and the calming effects of painting are as good as prozac. (i don't really know that, I've never taken Prozac....but painting really does reign in some of your stress.
    Thanks, I abandoned my hobby entirely when I started my business in 1999/2000 as I just didn't have the time (plus I had a new girlfriend). Stopped the business after 10 years but missed it so did smaller commissioned projects on the side which just made me ill with stress so now finally 2017, two years after I joined this forum and said I would start painting again I've finally done it. My painting / model making area is almost set up, should all be done by the end of the month and then if I can paint for an hour a night I think I should be able to cope better if my job becomes stressful ? I need to paint for me, not for other people, I need it to be enjoyable again so the best way I think is to get back into my hobbies. Painting and making models relaxes me and it's what I need each day to wind down and begin to relax.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

My resolution is to save all of you from your mini collecting habits by generously offering to take them all off your hands.
    Just sent all the extras my way, and I'll give them a good home.

Seriously, though... I don't make resolutions. The idea that a new year will change me, or give me the will-power to do something I haven't bothered doing already just seems silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    nice! time to update your wip thread then! ;P

Quotes from my own answers to a similar thread from 2015 (So cheating a bit because I had 2 years instead of one to accomplish everything!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Lots of plans and illusion for this year!
    1. Start a WIP here at Cmon.
    2. Take some nice (and better) pictures of my past works and post them to my Gallery as I only have two pictures posted there by now xP
    3. Paint my first non 15/32mm whether it be a bust or something of a larger scale it does not matter to me now. ^^
    4. Learn how to and start using my Airbrush (actually bought it yesterday, just waiting for it to be delivered!)
    5. Begin to diminish the gap between miniatures "bought and stored" and the ones that are fully painted.
    6. Improve my general painting skills.
    1. Done, but should keep it a little bit more lively.
    2. Done, but need to do more gallery submissions, some still pending...
    3. Done! and will repeat for sure this 2017!
    4. Done! Now next step should be try to use it a bit more for first layers of colour and first highlights/shadows
    5. Not really done. In fact I submitted for Arqadia Quest Inferno kickstarter and that alone are a hell of a pile of miniatures! So, I promise myself to at least not buy more than I paint. So if I paint one I can buy one, no more. Paint 3 buy 1 should be even more desirable.
    6. I think I have improved since 2015, but I want to practice, more NMM, more Freehands, and more shadow/light placements. Also I'm in need of some OSL, so I should force me to try it!
    7. Paint more miniatures!!
    8. Also moving out a little bit more of the WIP forums to the other parts of this wonderful community!
    Last edited by Maenas; 01-13-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Im definitely going to do something hobby related at least once a week.
    As im starting a new job/career im a little concerned how it will impact on my painting time but I suppose its all about going with the flow.
    Get a padded box to put your work in progress in two brushes one good one shit a pallet and 6 paints NO MORE you don't need em! Combine this with a portable folding natural light lamp like what I bought off Mike and you good to paint when your away on work. I did this when I went to Ireland for Christmas. Very portable.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Get a padded box to put your work in progress in two brushes one good one shit a pallet and 6 paints NO MORE you don't need em! Combine this with a portable folding natural light lamp like what I bought off Mike and you good to paint when your away on work.
    Punctuate.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

I think, sometimes, that my use of commas, and, occasionally, exclamation marks, can be excessive. Whenever I add a word or expression, not necessary, to the sentence, just like I did with the "not necessary" and like I am doing right now, I always include these words, well maybe not always, usually include these inserts between commas; so, basically, I enjoy writing long sentences, joined with lots of commas and, frequently, semi-colons and, often, colons (and have been rather prone to using brackets, as well).

When writing lengthy, detailed sentences, I find, sometimes, I can get carried, or at least I think I do, and can join two, three or sometimes more, usually, related, but separate ideas, that could be separated into individual, perhaps less interesting, sentences.

Enough punctuation Mike?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I think, sometimes, that my use of commas, and, occasionally, exclamation marks, can be excessive. Whenever I add a word or expression, not necessary, to the sentence, just like I did with the "not necessary" and like I am doing right now, I always include these words, well maybe not always, usually include these inserts between commas; so, basically, I enjoy writing long sentences, joined with lots of commas and, frequently, semi-colons and, often, colons (and have been rather prone to using brackets, as well).

When writing lengthy, detailed sentences, I find, sometimes, I can get carried, or at least I think I do, and can join two, three or sometimes more, usually, related, but separate ideas, that could be separated into individual, perhaps less interesting, sentences.

Enough punctuation Mike?
    As beautifully eloquent as your painting.
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    nice! time to update your wip thread then! ;P
    Maybe I will!