New player, couple of quick questions

Thread: New player, couple of quick questions

Default New player, couple of quick questions

Hey folks!

Picked up the new 2 player starter set, and my daughter and I tried out some test games last night. Overall pretty good, but we did have some questions on the rules (from memory...sorry if I get it wrong ) :

What order are the results of the dice resolved in? Example: Skirmisher lands a 8 and a 3 on the swordsman. One is a parry, one is the killing blow (but not the overkill or whatever). Do you resolve the parry first, giving it the dice roll -- and then the death dice roll as last action?
    * To that end: If engaged solo, does the extra dice mastery apply to the parry/death rolls as well?

On the Flurry maneuver by the (forget the wolf lady's name...scourge?) -- where you move 6" and AoE all the models you moved through: Do you apply the parry to that model? Meaning, I roll 2 sets of dice for let's say 3 swordsmen all in a line. One of them generated a parry counter. However, the rules said to move it 6" through the models and roll for result -- which would mean the actual werewolf model wasn't in base contact any longer. Do you just assume the parry would have gone off against the wolf (like it was running through a line slashing and taking hits with reckless abandon) or was it so fast the swordsman didn't get time to return the stike?

When surrounded by multiple models, you can allocate wounds as you see fit? 3 swordsman do a combined attack against one wolf. They don't kill it. Next time the wolf activates, it has 2 dice (one attack) -- but it's engaged by multiple models. Do you get to assign the dice to a specific model, or can they be split up (do you do this before or after the result)? I would assume you're treating the swarm of 3 attackers line one model for the purposes of the roll, and thus would be able to assign the dice result to 2 different models...but I'm probably wrong

The knock-back (away) movements -- are they in an arc? IE: can I knockback a model 45deg to the left so it hits another model, or must it always move strait back in whatever direction my attacker is facing?
    * To that end: Can a model be tabled? If I am on the edge of the engagement zone and I knock back a model (that would leave the zone) -- what happens to it?

Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter426 View Post
    Hey folks!

Picked up the new 2 player starter set, and my daughter and I tried out some test games last night. Overall pretty good, but we did have some questions on the rules (from memory...sorry if I get it wrong ) :

What order are the results of the dice resolved in? Example: Skirmisher lands a 8 and a 3 on the swordsman. One is a parry, one is the killing blow (but not the overkill or whatever). Do you resolve the parry first, giving it the dice roll -- and then the death dice roll as last action?
    * To that end: If engaged solo, does the extra dice mastery apply to the parry/death rolls as well?
    See Timing Conflicts

When 2 events need to resolve at the same time, the attacker’s effects go first, then defender’s.

In any other instance the player whose turn it is decides the order in which the events resolve.
    Act with Certainty say it performs "1 of its attacks" and Offensive Mastery says "... to any of attacks it is participating in" so yes.

On the Flurry maneuver by the (forget the wolf lady's name...scourge?) -- where you move 6" and AoE all the models you moved through: Do you apply the parry to that model? Meaning, I roll 2 sets of dice for let's say 3 swordsmen all in a line. One of them generated a parry counter. However, the rules said to move it 6" through the models and roll for result -- which would mean the actual werewolf model wasn't in base contact any longer. Do you just assume the parry would have gone off against the wolf (like it was running through a line slashing and taking hits with reckless abandon) or was it so fast the swordsman didn't get time to return the stike?
    The Ashmen's counter attack would trigger on a parry from the Scourge Hound, but the Ashmen's attack's range is 00. So unless the Scourge Hound ended its Bounding Flourish move in base contact with the Ashmen, the counter attack can't reach her.

When surrounded by multiple models, you can allocate wounds as you see fit? 3 swordsman do a combined attack against one wolf. They don't kill it. Next time the wolf activates, it has 2 dice (one attack) -- but it's engaged by multiple models. Do you get to assign the dice to a specific model, or can they be split up (do you do this before or after the result)? I would assume you're treating the swarm of 3 attackers line one model for the purposes of the roll, and thus would be able to assign the dice result to 2 different models...but I'm probably wrong
    See Attack Actions. You can split however you like, you just need to select targets before you roll.

The knock-back (away) movements -- are they in an arc? IE: can I knockback a model 45deg to the left so it hits another model, or must it always move strait back in whatever direction my attacker is facing?
    * To that end: Can a model be tabled? If I am on the edge of the engagement zone and I knock back a model (that would leave the zone) -- what happens to it?
    See Toward and Away; Up To; and Directly. Away means you just have to end the move further away when you started. Also, there's no facing in WoK.

Thanks folks!

Rats Dave, ya beat me to it!

Thanks for the follow-up!

Still need clarification here... probably just tired but:

When 2 events need to resolve at the same time, the attacker’s effects go first, then defender’s.

In any other instance the player whose turn it is decides the order in which the events resolve.
    Edit: I think I'm just confusing myself for no reason I notice the parry for swordsman has the "If you aren't killed" -- so yeah, both the parry + the "I'm taking you with me!" strike don't both fire, it's either or depending on if there was a kill dice thrown.

Also re: tabling -- can you knock them out of bounds, or does it just skirt the edge in a direction other than their starting point?
    Last edited by ncshooter426; 01-09-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Very rarely have I ever had to place a model at the tables edge, But I would assume you would just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter426 View Post
    Thanks for the follow-up!

Still need clarification here... probably just tired but:

Edit: I think I'm just confusing myself for no reason I notice the parry for swordsman has the "If you aren't killed" -- so yeah, both the parry + the "I'm taking you with me!" strike don't both fire, it's either or depending on if there was a kill dice thrown.

Also re: tabling -- can you knock them out of bounds, or does it just skirt the edge in a direction other than their starting point?
    In the very rare occurrence of this, I would rule the model stops, but that it has hit something. As a result, if the action's effect causes damage from hitting something, that would be activated.

I'd ask the tabling question on the FAQ thread and see if Mr Black responds. There's nothing in the rules about it so it's a pretty good question.