Long busy week with little time to paint. Did get some time in on Sunday though to mostly finish up the ladies.
At first i was trying to really get the flesh tones right on the arms, but after the third model I realized that i was just wasting my time as when I would put the blood on, all that work gets covered up anyways. But it was good practice anyways. Really makes me appreciate how the others can blend their paints so well. I definitely need to work on that and it will come in time.
So some things I learned while painting this set:
1) I think I perhaps should have highlighted the dresses a bit more. I wanted the dresses to appear grungy and I though adding too much spec highlighting would interfere with that.
2) Painting blood is fun!
3) I wanted to create a blank/blind white eye effect and I think it kinda worked out. Some look better than others. I did this by first painting a bone white eye. Then cover over the eye with a blue wash. Then apply a smaller dab of bone white over that. Thinking about it now it might be cool if I could put in a bright blue pupil in the middle of the eye. I may have to try that on one of them just to see how it looks.
4) I had a hard time trying to recreate the black bruising effect like in the "The Thing" reference photos. I tried applying some dark black/green/blue washes, but obviously that's not the right way to do it. I'll need to research and find a good way to do this.
That's it for now. I'm going to try basing these ladies this week and then starting on something new for the weekend. I just got my Arcadia Quest : Inferno game in the mail yesterday and I'll probably start on them. The quality of the minis in that game is quite a step above what I've been painting with my other games. Like seriously quite a few steps up. I'm really impressed with them and they should be really fun to paint.