Need Help Painting Yellow

Thread: Need Help Painting Yellow

Default Need Help Painting Yellow

Hi there! I'm trying to figure out the best way to achieve this kind of yellow, as I'm considering painting up an Iyanden force and really like how muted this looks compared to a lot of other yellow paint schemes I've seen. I've tried looking it up elsewhere but the closest I got was an old post with paints from Citadel's old range. I'm not partial to any paint brand, but I don't have enough experience painting yellow to try to guess what I might use for this. (Specifically the color of the armor)

Name:  Iyanden Scheme.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  47.5 KB

Any help would be appreciated!

I'd go with yellow mixed with Ivory, saving white for the final highlight.
    But that's just me.

There are high density paints these days so yellow is not always the problem it used to be. GW's "base" range are decent for that. Would probably be useful maintain a uniform yellow fif you've an army to get done.

Before paints like those came along I took to painting yellow areas with orange, or brown, or an orangey-brown, going through a few stages of highlight with only white added to the base colour, topping the lot off with a yellow ink, painted on rather than with the loaded brush a wash requires.

There is purple in there to tone it down.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

If I were doing this, I'd probably do it as follows: (Though I'd definitely test it on a test model first cuz if there's one thing I've learned that's super helpful when learning to paint a new color or learning a painting new skill, it's to use a test model and experiment on it until you find what you really like, then write that down somewhere for future reference)

Prime: white
    OR
    Undercoat: Vallejo Game Color Dead White
    Base coat: Vallejo Yellow Game Ink, Vallejo Game Color Moon Yellow, or whatever bright yellow you like (I know some people really like Citadel's Flash Gitz Yellow but I've personally never tried it)
    Glaze #1: (Bottom 1/4 of armor plates) Vallejo Game Color Orange Fire Glaze
    Glaze #2: (Bottom 1/8 of armor plates) Orange Fire + Vallejo Game Color Warlord Purple (~3:1 or 4:1) - You just want it to subtly tint the area purple
    Shade: Citadel Cassandora Yellow + Reikland Fleshshade (~2:1) --- Orangey/Red-ish Glaze
    - Apply this with two-brush blending - Apply with one brush, then use the second damp brush blend/wipe away from top areas that you want to remain brighter
    - Blend so that it shades approx the bottom 1/2 of each armor section
    Highlight #1:
    Flash Gitz Yellow or Moon Yellow (edge highlight) + Dead White (~3:1)
    Highlight #2: Dead White selectively on sharpest points, and small sections of edges that you really want to emphasize.

Thank you for all the replies (to be honest, it took so long for this thread to go up I thought that I hadn't been allowed to post here yet). Your post with all the paint suggestions was especially helpful, Bandaru. I hadn't considered trying to blend the shading on, as I don't yet have any experience with blending (but that's what YouTube is for, isn't it?), hopefully I can get a test model set up to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweord View Post
    Thank you for all the replies (to be honest, it took so long for this thread to go up I thought that I hadn't been allowed to post here yet). Your post with all the paint suggestions was especially helpful, Bandaru. I hadn't considered trying to blend the shading on, as I don't yet have any experience with blending (but that's what YouTube is for, isn't it?), hopefully I can get a test model set up to try it out.
    No prob!

Here's a pretty good video on two brush blending by one of the painters from Privateer Press - https://youtu.be/ru2QskQp40g?t=6m1s - It's really a pretty simple and easy blending technique. He's doing it with a normal paint, but it works just as well with the Citadel shades.

Or if you're not as comfortable shading it that way, you can always thin the shade down to a more glaze-like consistency and then apply it in thin layers to build up that shade. Just thin it with some Lahmiam Medium, or some sort of Glaze Medium (either pre-made or home-made. I personally make my own glaze medium just cuz it's more cost effective, but it's up to you what you want to do)

Next Level Painting has an awesome video on glazing if you're not familiar with that, or want to see an awesome example of how it works/looks - https://youtu.be/fzSQcRiRHbA

Hi Sweord,
    just wondering what paints your going to use? to me those paints in the photo look like they have used citadel colours...

Also, here's how Lester Bursley painted an Eldar Guardian in a similar scheme. - https://youtu.be/C1hLE4LXgLU - He uses the airbrush a lot to do the transitions, but the same effect can be achieved with two-brush blending or glazing.

The blending and glazing videos were very cool, I always imagined that two-brush blending was a lot more complicated than it seems to be. I've seen that video from Les before, and wish I was as good with an airbrush as he is; at this point I've probably spent more time watching how-to-paint videos than I've actually spent painting. Thanks for taking the time to find those helpful videos!

Chaotic Creations, I'll probably be taking a look at the paints Bandaru listed, although I'm sure that the picture I included uses only Citadel paints as it was an image from Games Workshop itself. I'm not particularly partial to any specific brand, so I'll probably go with whatever looks right (which can be a pain in the rear with Vallejo sometimes, I've noticed that on occasion their paints dry to a slightly different tone than what they look like when wet).

Yeah cool, will be a bit of a trial and error for you... I would say that yellow has been applied over a deep brown primer/base and blended out of the recesses (very thin) to an opaque colour. Then more than likely multiply thin orange glazes, and finally highlighting up to a bright yellow. Not too sure about the flash Fitz yellow though, think that may be a different shade of yellow, but hey I could be wrong??? That’s how I would tackle this colour anyways.

The blending and glazing videos were very cool, I always imagined that two-brush blending was a lot more complicated than it seems to be. I've seen that video from Les before, and wish I was as good with an airbrush as he is; at this point I've probably spent more time watching how-to-paint videos than I've actually spent painting. Thanks for taking the time to find those helpful videos!
    No prob! I too wish I was as good at airbrushing. Trying to get there.

I'll probably go with whatever looks right (which can be a pain in the rear with Vallejo sometimes, I've noticed that on occasion their paints dry to a slightly different tone than what they look like when wet).
    From what I've found, most paints tend to tone down as they dry. Particularly when applied over darker layers. Another big reason why a having a test model to experiment on is SUPER helpful.

Imma say start slow. You can jump right into 2bb and loaded brush and wet on wet and just frustrate the crap out of yourself and quit, but maybe start out with simple washes glazes and edge highlights and then when you have more brush control and an understanding of how the paint behaves move on to more advances techniques. You can get a nice result from carefully applied basic techniques Start a wip thread on the project and people will stop by and help you out as you post you progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Imma say start slow. You can jump right into 2bb and loaded brush and wet on wet and just frustrate the crap out of yourself and quit, but maybe start out with simple washes glazes and edge highlights and then when you have more brush control and an understanding of how the paint behaves move on to more advanced techniques. You can get a nice result from carefully applied basic techniques Start a wip thread on the project and people will stop by and help you out as you post your progress!
    +1 - Let us know if you start a WIP thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Imma say start slow. You can jump right into 2bb and loaded brush and wet on wet and just frustrate the crap out of yourself and quit, but maybe start out with simple washes glazes and edge highlights and then when you have more brush control and an understanding of how the paint behaves move on to more advances techniques. You can get a nice result from carefully applied basic techniques Start a wip thread on the project and people will stop by and help you out as you post you progress!
    I completely agree. After all the videos I've watched I really dislike how little effort I used to put into painting (got into 40k when I was 14 or so, so there's that), and over time I've tried to incorporate more techniques when I paint. For example, this is my most recent figure (pardon the bad lighting, the colors are a little more rich in person):

Name:  IMAG1731.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  164.8 KB

While it's not anything particularly impressive, I'm pretty happy with where I am compared to the basecoat+wash days (though I am always learning!). A WIP thread might be a good idea, as I have such a backlog of miniatures that I'd like to paint that a bit of incentive to share my progress could be helpful. If only I could make model prep seem as fun as painting is.

That is a solid result. Really solid. So go from there and try to focus on one or two new techniques at a time and you will be shocked at how quick you grow. Also keep a few minis on hand that aren't prepped well and that you can fail on and don;t feel the need to be perfect with. It will take the pressure off when learning new stuff.

Not bad at all! I'm particularly liking the edge highlights on the armor! If you find the secret to making model prep fun please let us all know. haha