Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A WhIP to skip (silasvb's WIP and painting log)

Default A WhIP to skip (silasvb's WIP and painting log)

Hi all,

Please excuse a new WIP log from another beginner; I hope not to offend anyone. My objective is to use this to primarily monitor my own progress, but any thoughts from more experienced eyes would of course be much appreciated. Clearly the voting system on CMON isn't perfect, but it's a fairly good approximation of overall standard so I'm going to lay down the gauntlet for myself and aim for achiving a 7 rated miniature at some point in the future (at the moment, I'm just beggining to get a handle on just how long painting a 'good' mini takes, so don't want to set a time for this goal). At the moment, I'd say I'm probably a 5.7.

Now for some pictures...Name:  IMG_20170114_082347_01_01.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  600.8 KB
    This is the first set of minis I've painted in about 10 years so actually really satisfied with how they came out. Lots to work on (particularly, the guns hands, legs below the knees - I still don't know which bit is flesh, and which bit is cloth - and consistency of colour). I've decided to class these as finished, and move on, rather than going over the same thing again and again.

Name:  IMG_20170114_082555.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  579.1 KB
    Next up, a battle suit. The pic above shows the pose I'm going for (held together with white tac and pins right now). I've invested the time in cleaning up a lot of joints in the mini, particularly where the two sides of each jet pack join togethr, leaving a nasty join down th middle of th grills

Also a nice chance to show off a photo using my new light box which is great (£10 USB fold up job from Amazon). Still using a phone camera though, but it's a start.

Name:  IMG_20170115_183645_01_01.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  605.9 KB
    First bit of painting is on the helmet. Two techniques here that I've never tired before. First, the lighting on the visor, which I'm extremely pleased wirh, and second, the freehand lettering. The freehand needs a couple of further coats to improve the consistency, but im terrified of mucking it up.

If anyone has any ideas of how to make painting Tau drones interesting, I'd love to know (perhaps to try out new colour schemes???). At the moment I'm not intending to get into gaming, so no huge reason to stick to a single colour scheme, so a break from white might be a good idea .

Nice looking geenstealer cult waiting for me, but I better get the rest of this battlesuit done first.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forums. Based on where you are at currently, you should be at 7+ minis before long. May want to visit the photo section though as getting your photos steaightened out will help with the scores as well

Thanks Krulebear. I'm with you on the photos. I get the impression that there is a huge jump in the quality of photos at around 6.5 so there is no doubt that this is something Ill have to get spot on in order to get better. At the moment, I don't think the photo quality is giving a false impression of what I'm doing (if it looks a bit crappy, it probably was me, not the camera). The photos will need to get better though to clearly show my painting skills (hopefully) improving.

Last thing I want is for this to be another WIP full of apologies with each photo, and each C&C beginning with "it might be the photo, but...".

Feel free to quote me on the about in 10 pages time by the way

Of the snaps in my first post, I think the middle photo is the best quality. Do people agree with this?

Yep looks good to me
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Your Tau squad looks pretty good. White is tough color to paint and you did an admirable job with those figs. If you plan to do more white, it might help to check out David Powell's (Bailey03 here on CMON) painting blog. He has a tutorial on painting white, which I used recently on one of my Zombicide survivors, and it worked out pretty good; better than expected at any rate. Anyway, keep up the good work and you'll improve each time!

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian80 View Post
    Your Tau squad looks pretty good. White is tough color to paint and you did an admirable job with those figs. If you plan to do more white, it might help to check out David Powell's (Bailey03 here on CMON) painting blog. He has a tutorial on painting white, which I used recently on one of my Zombicide survivors, and it worked out pretty good; better than expected at any rate. Anyway, keep up the good work and you'll improve each time!
    Cheers for the link Octavian. Amazing articles. I'd seen the knight here before, and absolutely loved it. Kinda daunting though - sky's the limit in what you can do I guess. Considering I've been planning on painting up a couple of Genestealer cult guardsmen to break up the repetition of dealing with Tau body armour, and Immediately thought of red ceremonial robes and white body armour, I think I might struggle to avoid painting white again .

Legs on the battlesuit are part-way done (coincidentally, just missing the white sections), so I'll follow David Powell's colours schemes and see how it goes. Fingers crossed my next photo won't look like an albino squig.

A few more pictures from the paintstation...

It turns out that trying to batch paint Tau drones is a bit of a chore, so I've done a pretty lazy 2-coat job on them and are using the nice flat top surfaces to practice freehand. Looks like I need a lot of practice Name:  IMG_20170121_102006_01.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.14 MBName:  IMG_20170121_101708_01.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  1.27 MB

The brown domes are looking very patchy. Photos are fairly reflective of what they are in real life.

Name:  IMG_20170121_102206_01.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  1.53 MB

Feeling slightly happier with the other WIP, but cant wait to do something more organic

Default Genestealer cult

Tau drones and fire warriors varnished and put away, never to see the light of day again. I think it's fair to say that looking at them now, particularly in photographs, a huge number of flaws become visible. For me, the greatest weaknesses are patchy paint (probably not helped by my choice of colour scheme), unimaginative and scruffy basing, and truly terrible photography. To this end, I'm going to try and actively improve on these areas in this next project by:

• being more creative with the bases
    • taking more photos from different angles, and downloading some better photography software
    • not painting white

The next project is a set of 12 Imperial guardsmen in a genestealer cult. So far I have assembled and based them.

Name:  IMG_20170126_080057.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1.07 MB

The bases are going to be based on a snowy tundra theme, with lichen coloured rocks (subtle yellow spots to contrast the purple tones of the guardsmen skin) and marsh grass (see photo below - the grass is made by drilling small holes in the base and inserting PVA coated twine)

Name:  IMG_20170126_080150.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  941.7 KB

To give an idea of what I'm looking to achieve:

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  9.3 KBName:  07.forestboulders.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  773.6 KB

Each mini is pinned to their respective base so can be removed for painting, and to give a secure fit in the cork.

I'm struggling for ideas for colour schemes for these guys - so far my best idea is pale green trousers, black boots, dark green jacket and pale cream body armour, but this seems very uninspiring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've parked the Tau battlesuit for now. In the back of my mind, I'm contemplating stripping him and trying some HR Geiger esq circuit board style designs in a bone colour over black on the flat plates of his body armour - not something I think I can yet achieve without making a mess.

As usual, any C & C you have time to give would be much appreciated

perhaps grey and light blue camo on the legs like alpine special forces
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    perhaps grey and light blue camo on the legs like alpine special forces
    Each time I've thought about camouflage, I've been thinking about doing it on the jacket - I keep discounting it because I think it tends to look very badly done on minis - having it on the legs as a secondary aspect of the uniform could help me get around this though. I'll try a mock up and see how it looks. I think this would be nicely offset with dark blue/grey jackets. This will hopefully make the skin (aiming for a slightly translucent purply flesh, highlighted up to very pale off white) really stand out on the head and gloves.

I'd previously been planning on trying a wooden effect on the last gun stocks and bodies, but think this will clash too much with the camo pattern so may save this for another day

Didn't quite go to plan. I blame the colour scheme entirely on watching the England vs Wales game.

Still need to finish off the Lasrifle and the numeral on the shoulder.

Fairly happy with how things are looking so far, but would love some C and C. In my opinion the two strongest areas are the snow base and the face.

Name:  IMG_20170212_101736_01.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  768.4 KBName:  IMG_20170212_101731_01.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  677.6 KBName:  IMG_20170212_101739_01.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  659.8 KBName:  IMG_20170212_101744_01.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  797.3 KB

At the moment I can't decide whether to paint up all 12 in the same way, or use each of them to try out different colour palettes.

I agree snow base and the face are the strongest. I think a few more tones betwee the darkest and lightest on the cloth areas. Kind of looks slightly like the paint is a bit watery. Have you considered using a touch more pigment? On the boots especially it looks like a watery layer of quite light grey was applied. Maybe try a darker grey with less water more pigment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfsaga View Post
    I agree snow base and the face are the strongest. I think a few more tones betwee the darkest and lightest on the cloth areas. Kind of looks slightly like the paint is a bit watery. Have you considered using a touch more pigment? On the boots especially it looks like a watery layer of quite light grey was applied. Maybe try a darker grey with less water more pigment.
    Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts.

Completely agree with the boots. They were painted as an afterthought, but I've tried to add a bit more depth to them.

With regards to the cloth, there were actually quite a few shades and highlights. The main issue is my inaccuracy - quite often, I end up covering all he highlighted areas with the single colour intended to be the top highlight. I've tried to rework in some midtones to mixed success.

I've also added a few more colourful aspects (the skull, textured stock, jacket cuffs, and glow to the scope) to try and bring out some of the detail in the model.

Votes would be greatly appreciated for this fella - Seems very difficult to get up to the 50 needed to get a score, so contributions appreciated even if it's voting me down

http://www.coolminiornot.com/409764

Name:  IMG_20170212_180701_01.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  874.3 KBName:  IMG_20170212_180707_01.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  822.1 KBName:  IMG_20170212_180715_01.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  676.5 KBName:  IMG_20170212_180722_01.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  888.8 KB

I've also been working on my Tau battlesuit. The whites and reds are looking very flat, but I'm going to call this one 'done' (at least for now).

Name:  IMG_20170212_180649.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  1.72 MBName:  IMG_20170212_180639.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  1.80 MB
    Last edited by silasvb; 02-12-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Voted.

Good work on the genestealer troop. You clearly have a good degree of brush control judging by the IX on his shoulder pad. The paint does look a littl chalky though, not sure how you could address that. It may be too watery like Wulf mentioned.

I like the crisis suit. Tau were my first army when I originally started gaming, I've always had a soft spot for them. With your whites, you need a couple more thin layers to get that coverage all the way there. Battlesuits are great for practicing highlighting as well, plenty of hard edges.

How much are you thinning your paints by?
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    How much are you thinning your paints by?
    Quite a bit, but sometimes a bit inconsistently. I'm aiming the 'milky' consistency people talk about here, and usually go for 33/33/33 water, paint, thinner. The results seem very inconsistent though.

I tend to favour pastel colours, so some of the chalkiness might relate to colour choice rather than paint consistency.

For your base colours you might be thinning too far. Take a look at the GW painting tutorials on youTube and how little Duncan thins his paint to begin with.
    error 404: signature not found

Watched a couple. Perhaps I need to think 'thin layers' more, and 'thinned paint' less.

Really appreciate the time you guys have taken to give me your thoughts

Voted.

Just keep trying different things. It took me quite awhile to find a consistency that works for me and I still don't achieve it all the time. Brush time and trying new techniques are the only way we get better

Quote Originally Posted by silasvb View Post
    .../Votes would be greatly appreciated for this fella - Seems very difficult to get up to the 50 needed to get a score, so contributions appreciated even if it's voting me down http://www.coolminiornot.com/409764
    Voted Your picture looks a bit underexposed, it may need more "shutter time" or more light, or maybe a bit of digital retouching.
    It looks like you need to support the votings via other places since there is not enough people around the gallery (or at least enough people that uses the voting system) to get up to 50 votes, I also struggle to get to 50 votes. I think I only have a copule of submissions that pass through that limit.
    But not being painting masters at all (me) makes it completely logical (IMHO).
    Last edited by Maenas; 02-13-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.