How do I use the Masmorra extra dice.

Thread: How do I use the Masmorra extra dice.

Default How do I use the Masmorra extra dice.

I backed the kick starter and bought into the extra dice bundles so I have plenty of options and I'd like to know how best to deploy them, nothing I've seen seems to establish how they are added.
    These may seem like silly questions but I am seeking clarifications for how the extra dice are added into a game.

We cannot replace the base blue and orange sets entirely with another set? Certain tiles require specific monsters to be placed on them so must I always have the blue dice in the bag for these?
    For example if I chose to replace the base blue 8 with the alternate green 8 dice and draw the web tile requiring a spider, is there a suitable monster from the green dice that can take its place?

Are all those extra sets of 4 dice just added into the dice bag with base 8 one set per game?
    I guess I'm supposed to add only one pack as any more would just overrun the board with a endless flow of monsters from portal tiles, never being reallocated from rooms with an overly stocked bag not running out is you add much more.
    Last edited by RiPerils; 01-22-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: grammar

I don't know if this is correct or not, but I've added all the extra dice to the appropriate bags, and just played with all the dice. It seems to work. I've played maybe 10 games that way. Both VS and CO-OP (Mostly VS), and both 16 level and the full kill Malphias epic games. Something probably not "Standard" that I have been doing is when a Monster is killed, we don't put the dead monster back into the bags until the bag is completely empty. (we do that just to make sure all the different dice get used. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the assigned tile monsters. When one of those gets revealed we just grab the appropriate (blue usually) dice from the already dead monster pile or from the dice bag if there isn't a dead one. Anyhow. Don't know if this is the "official rule" but it's what we have been doing and it seems to work just fine. I'm glad you asked the question though, hopefully "official responses" will come to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by foosninja View Post
    I don't know if this is correct or not, but I've added all the extra dice to the appropriate bags, and just played with all the dice. It seems to work. I've played maybe 10 games that way. Both VS and CO-OP (Mostly VS), and both 16 level and the full kill Malphias epic games. Something probably not "Standard" that I have been doing is when a Monster is killed, we don't put the dead monster back into the bags until the bag is completely empty. (we do that just to make sure all the different dice get used. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the assigned tile monsters. When one of those gets revealed we just grab the appropriate (blue usually) dice from the already dead monster pile or from the dice bag if there isn't a dead one. Anyhow. Don't know if this is the "official rule" but it's what we have been doing and it seems to work just fine. I'm glad you asked the question though, hopefully "official responses" will come to this forum.
    Well that sounds a passable way, it just sounds allot of card referencing with all those monsters on all those dice but it seems to work there.

I was wondering about the Promo Dice too. Either I missed, didn't see, over-looked, or didn't get the "stat cards" for the promo dice. I thought it might just be a matter of downloading a PDF and printing it, but then I saw an image from ebay where the person had the dice AND the pre-printed stat cards for the monsters.. So now I'm just confused.

Am I totally dumb and just missed the stat cards in another box for the promo dice?

VW~

I'm not sure which extra kickstarter items you got. I ordered all the kickstarter extras, and I can't specifically remember which cards came in which boxes, but in the end I would up with I believe 6 different large reference cards, and two different small reference cards (5 sets of each....so 30 large and 10 small cards). They are double sided cards in most cases they have minor monster stats on one side and major monster stats on the other. The small cards just have data for a couple of the promo bosses which came with I believe the Adventurer's set and the Monster Dice Set. If you do a google images search for "Masmorra Reference Cards" you will find images of all 6 of the large reference cards which you could print out or copy down the info from. The two smaller cards, I think you get those with the Adventurer's Set and Monster Dice Set respectively, so if you have the game tiles they are used for, you should have the reference cards.

Quote Originally Posted by foosninja View Post
    I'm not sure which extra kickstarter items you got. I ordered all the kickstarter extras, and I can't specifically remember which cards came in which boxes, but in the end I would up with I believe 6 different large reference cards, and two different small reference cards (5 sets of each....so 30 large and 10 small cards). They are double sided cards in most cases they have minor monster stats on one side and major monster stats on the other.
    I figured out where my confusion is... The Promo Dice (MMR-KS03) came with 2 dice of each of the following: Undead, Villain, Infernal, and Nameless -- what I didn't realize is that they are two MORE of the dice that come inside the Kickstarter Extras (MMR-KS01) box. I thought they were new dice, not more of the same, so I was confused as to why they wouldn't have the "details" card with them.

VW~

When playing with the extra dice from the monster dice expansion (MMR-003) and the Promo Kickstarter Dice (MMR-KS03), I have mixed all the dice into the appropriate bags, depending on monster type. In the rules on page 13, there are a couple of paragraphs on Spawning Monsters. In the third paragraph, it states "If there are no monster dice left of the type needed to be spawned, take a monster die of that type from anywhere on the board you choose and roll to spawn it. The die you take cannot come from a room containing a Hero." The original game comes with 8 Minor Monsters (Blue Dice) and 4 Major Monsters (Orange Dice). This original design would suggest a total monster limit of 8 Minor and 4 Major. Holding this limit in mind, when spawning monsters, count toward the limit of that type. If the 8 minor monster (or 4 major monster) limit hasn't been met yet, spawn normally by picking a random die out of the bag, rolling it, and placing it on the room tile. If the dice limit would be exceeded (by placing the 9th minor or 5th major monster), pull off one of the monsters not in a room with a hero, place it in the bag and grab another die at random from the bag, roll it, then place it. Not sure if this is the intention of the design with the extra dice, but it has kept the game fresh, and has prevented overpopulation of monsters on the board.

To address the example of the spider tile: I would remove a die of my choice from the board, then pull a blue die from the bag to place the spider.

I'm interested to try this in combination with foosninja's idea of setting aside the monster dice after they have been slain. I believe this will add even more variety to the game.

Question.
    If i put the KS dice in the appropriate deck, does it impact balance?
    I read some heroes have skills based on monster type.... (Lotus and animals for example) changing the % could change their usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vondodo View Post
    Question.
    If i put the KS dice in the appropriate deck, does it impact balance?
    I read some heroes have skills based on monster type.... (Lotus and animals for example) changing the % could change their usefulness.
    I've added all of the promo dice and the monster dice box set and I haven't seen any of the heroes played really affected adversely. If you're concerned, my one suggestion would be to make sure you keep an equal number of each monster die in the game. That should keep the odds even across the board on what you pull randomly.