Guawol's WIP Log - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Guawol's WIP Log

So the Chaplins have been released from the green chamber, here are a couple before and after.

Terminator Chaplin:
    Name:  Terminator Chaplin Before.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  61.0 KBName:  Terminator Chapiln After.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  152.9 KB

Jump Pack Chaplin:
    Name:  Jump Pack Chaplin Before.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  126.8 KBName:  Jump Pack Chaplin After.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  160.8 KB

Now on to priming everything!

Gr8 cleanup bud!!!

Thanks Bam, gotta love simple green. I'm close to being able to begin painting again, moving into my new place this Sunday in fact. I'm probably not going to be working on the models above because I got my Rising Sun kickstarter in, as well as my Zombicide Green Plague, so there is a lot to work on. Many many projects, plus I will also be trying to get my new girlfriend hooked in the art. Going to have her paint the Spellweaver mini from Gloomhaven as its her character.

Haha I just stripped the paint off that same terminator Chaplin the other day. I’ve never used simple green before, seems to work ok by the looks of it. For my metal minis I drop them in acetone for a few minutes, scrub with a toothbrush back in the acetone etc.. takes about 4 scrubs (10-15 minutes) and the mini is back to bare metal, no paint in the recesses either. Just needs a good scrub with soapy water after and your good to paint in no time.

What you see above was after one soak of about 20 mins and then using a tooth brush to scrub and that was it. I have tried acetone before on plastic minis and didnt like how it sometimes ate the glue or the details on the mini, so I looked for other options. What I found pointed me to simple green. I did have to search for it though first couple stores didnt carry it.

Oh my, that airbrush booth... so clean, so pristine... :-]
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    What you see above was after one soak of about 20 mins and then using a tooth brush to scrub and that was it. I have tried acetone before on plastic minis and didnt like how it sometimes ate the glue or the details on the mini, so I looked for other options. What I found pointed me to simple green. I did have to search for it though first couple stores didnt carry it.
    Yeah acetone will dissolve the plastic minis I only use it for metals, I once made the mistake of dropping in one with the base still fixed and ended up with a gooey mess of melted plastic I’m not sure if we can get simple green here in aus anyways, but we have dettol and that works a treat for plastic and resin minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Oh my, that airbrush booth... so clean, so pristine... :-]
    Oh if I took a pic from further away you would see all the usual clutter and mess, well except for now since all my paints and tools are in boxes for the next few days :P

Default Back in Business

FINALLY got my new art station all setup this Sunday, so now I can finally begin some painting again (but only a little bit at a time at least until March is done and gone).
    Name:  Paint station.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  63.7 KB

And this is the mini I am planning on beginning. He is the Oni of Blood from The Rising Sun game I received just recently, there are many many monster models to paint that I can't wait to get to. Since the mini is from the game I am going to try and keep close to the color scheme on the cards so it matches up a bit while playing.
    Name:  Oni of Blood Card copy.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  198.9 KBName:  Oni of Blood copy.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  72.6 KB
    The picture of the mini is done so I can have reference for top down lighting as I paint. I did a whole series circling the mini from different angles so I can really work on my shading.

Oh yeah your gonna have soooome fun with this!!!

Awesome looking mini's these Guawol...really dropped a ball not jumping onthis kickstarter.

niko_deze on instagram did some spectacular versions of the Rising Sun minis.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BegiZQnh...n-by=niko_deze

Definately worth a look

Thank you for the source material Hairster, I'll definitely take a look! The Rising Sun game was the first game I ever backed on Kickstarter and all the stretch goal monsters and gods are really well done. I'm looking forward to working on all of them even if it takes me until my death bed to finish them all :P

Fun is what I'm going for BAM

Default Oni of Blood

Dusted off the airbrush this evening and then started experimenting. I decide to use Black primer spraying at an upward angle followed by White primer sprayed from directly above to start creating the lighting contrasts:
    Name:  1a WB primer.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  245.7 KBName:  1b WB primer.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  283.5 KB
    I then sprayed the skin areas with a red primer:
    Name:  2a R primer.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  263.9 KBName:  2b R primer.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  258.3 KB
    My next plan is to start building the skin tones and then smooth out the transitions. I will also need to gradually build up the blackish/purple hands.

Ooh! The Rising Sun minis! A mate of mine got the kickstarter as well (brilliant game btw), and I'll be the designated painter for them. Those minis got me drooling! Good start on yours, mate! Have fun with 'm.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Ah, another one on the quest of painting all that fine minis from Rising Sun. Good luck mate, and good start so far.
    @Hairster: thanks for the link, really great job indeed.

tha'ts a cool looking mini. good start on it. will look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Thank you everyone! I'm currently at work thinking about how I want to proceed all the while staring at the clock going, "Can I do home and paint yet?"

Meph: I'm definitely interested in seeing your interpretation of the Rising Sun minis when you get a chance to start on them. I haven't had a chance to play yet considering I got the game right in the middle of my move, but it did give me motivation to get done moving faster so I could both play and start painting them. The funny part is I also got my Zombicide Green Horde game a few days after Rising Sun so I have sooooo many miniatures to paint now.

Yeah, true that. The next gaming sessions is always a nice little deadline to get something done.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Default Oni of Blood

Spent the evening building up the skins shading. I am going to keep the shading about the point you see, finish up the body, and then come back and adjust it after I work on some of the other details.
    Name:  3a Skin Shading.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  114.3 KBName:  3b Skin Shading.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  119.8 KB