Guawol's WIP Log - Page 17
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Guawol's WIP Log

Nice start on the HATE mini. I really enjoy that game. This one must be from a faction we haven’t used yet. He looks pretty sweet

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Nice start on the HATE mini. I really enjoy that game. This one must be from a faction we haven’t used yet. He looks pretty sweet
    Thank you Krulebear. The mini is from one of the expansion tribes. When I backed it I added on 2 of the tribes, but not the 3rd. I wish I could play it more than the one time I was able to get ppl together to play it, I like a lot of the games mechanics. Plus I kind of have to keep the box hidden because my gf doesn't want a box that screams "HATE!" in our stack of games :P
    Last edited by Guawol; 04-26-2021 at 08:35 PM.

I am making progress. The skin is pretty close to finished, it just needs some minor touch ups and add ons. Tonight I began trying out a new NMM gold recipe, I still need to add the brighter yellow and white, which will, hopefully, start to make it pop.
    Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  54.5 KBName:  Back.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  57.6 KB

Nice scheme for the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    Thank you Krulebear. The mini is from one of the expansion tribes. When I backed it I added on 2 of the tribes, but not the 3rd. I wish I could play it more than the one time I was able to get ppl together to play it, I like a lot of the games mechanics. Plus I kind of have to keep the box hidden because my gf doesn't want a box that screams "HATE!" in our stack of games :P
    lol :: I have to keep it in a closet for a similar reason as my 8 year old is creeped out by the box. I didn’t back during the KS, but after playing in a mini convention I went all in when CMON had their time vault promotion (or some such promotion). I have a local colleague that enjoys it, so we are hoping to go through a full “tournament” run with it. So far I have only used three of the tribes. The bosses in this game are absolutely beautiful sculpts. Can’t wait to see where you take this one.

@KruleBear - I agree, the boss sculpts are amazing, also one of the deciding factors for me to back the game, plus I like Adrian Smith, after I backed "Rising Sun".

Finished up the Vore Nash tribe Champion. I have decided to try and be a bit more serious in my painting, so I decided to actually right my recipes down for once so I could try and master specific things like NMMs, leather, bone, blood, etc. This model gave me a lot of opportunity to practice a lot of different things. I am did have trouble trying to get a contrast between the torso skin and the chains, as they both used similar shades of greys. I tried to enhance the shadows between the two, even added some blue ink. Any ideas would help me tackle this problem in the future.
    Name:  Champion 1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  76.6 KBName:  Champion 2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  74.9 KBName:  Champion 3.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  73.6 KB

Geez, this looks great! I'd love to see some higher rez photos.

You could differentiate the chain by making it more rusty, for example, or deepening that blue ink.
    Or you could tint the skin, maybe with a purple (to offset the gold), and leave the chains as-is.
    Just my two cents

@gorb: Thank you! I am still learning how to edit photos properly, basically like everything I am experimenting until I figure out what works. Also thank you for the advice, I am thinking I will alter the chains a bit. I was working on some other NMM steel today and found an effect I like. By glazing in some dark blue across the metal, I could give the NMM a bit more of the cool steel look.

I also finished up this mini today. I wanted to post some WIP pictures but I just couldn't get a photo I was happy with until I finished. The char is "Badger" from the Zombicide Green Horde game, which was obviously inspired by Wolverine, so I used that as inspiration, and decided to paint Wolverine's yellow and blue costume.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  128.6 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  127.4 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  144.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  130.2 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  137.3 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  147.0 KB

Nice work, yeah I saw the photos before reading you description, and I immediately though "Wolverine!" when I saw the blades and the yellow

I posted this model before, but since then I decide to redo the orcs armor so I could practice my NMM Steel. I am currently working on 4 other orcs that go along with this one, but have yet to take any photos as they are a few steps behind in the process.
Views: 185
Size:  90.2 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  89.0 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  80.8 KB

Final pictures of the orc squad I mentioned before. The models gave me lots of practice on NMM steel and black leather, which I will put to good use on my next model. I did find myself struggling, at the end, to complete these models. This was the first time I have attempted batch painting in a long while, and found I had a little less excitement than when I am able to put all my focus on one model.

Either way I still learned a lot and had fun in the process, as well as inspiring a friend with the desire to write a one-shot D&D story where the players have to choose one of the models for there character.

Name:  1 Group.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  125.7 KBName:  2a.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  103.4 KBName:  2b.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  111.5 KBName:  3a.jpg
Size:  118.4 KBName:  3b.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  136.2 KBName:  4a.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  118.0 KBName:  4b.jpg
Size:  114.2 KBName:  5a.jpg
Size:  112.2 KBName:  5b.jpg
Size:  109.0 KBName:  6a.jpg
Size:  108.8 KBName:  6b.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  107.9 KB

Started working on this big hunk of metal about a week ago, and as they say slow and steady wins the race :P Using this model to combine everything I have been practicing over the last few models I have worked on and try a push my abilities a bit. The model is from the table top arena game "Brutality".
Views: 123
Size:  89.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  87.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  90.0 KB

These all look great! I love the NMM on the batch painted orc squad. It looks like the chain mail is TMM, is that right?
    That is an interesting mixture of textures!

Love the cloth/leather on the new guy, again the texture is great!

Thank you gorb. And yes the chainmail is TMM. Originally I was going to paint the orcs all in TMM but then decided to continue practicing NMM. Once I began I didn't want to even attempt to use NMM on the chainmail, seemed to finicky and not enough flat space to practice for a beginner at NMM.

Finally finished "The God Killer". Overall I am really happy with how the model came out. I especially love the shield, sword, and red cloth
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  227.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  230.7 KBName:  1.jpg
Size:  250.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Size:  218.5 KBName:  5.jpg
Size:  222.3 KB

That looks fantastic! The shield especially, the sword too.
    It is a bit of a shame that the sculpt almost doesn't allow you to draw more attention to the figure's face, but then again I think that is the intent.

Alight it has been a long time since I posted here. Kind of stopped for a bit because of how dead CMON has become but after reading a few of everyone else's posts, I realized I shouldn't neglect where I got my start in painting mini's. I have been painting pretty regularly over the last few months, especially since I was able to finally get a new painting station setup, so there will be a lot of pics posted.
    With that I will start with a few smaller projects.

First is some skeleton archers I painted for future D&D campaigns:
Views: 51
Size:  130.3 KBName:  2.jpg
Size:  171.6 KBName:  3.jpg
Size:  175.4 KBName:  4.jpg
Size:  159.8 KB
    Nothing super fancy, just a quick paint job while waiting for paint to dry on other minis.
    I have also started working on some Ultramarines, because I love jumping around on types of minis I paint:
    Name:  Ultramarines.jpg
Size:  181.1 KB

Now on to the bigger projects. This is Finarton from "Zombicide: The Green Horde"
Views: 52
Size:  229.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Size:  245.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Size:  243.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Size:  201.5 KBName:  5.jpg
Size:  149.1 KB
    This was my first model where I got to practice on such a large area for NMM steel and a basic Caucasian fleshtone.

After Finarton I began working on his counter part in the game "The undead giant abomination"
Size:  197.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Size:  199.7 KBName:  3.jpg
Size:  226.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Size:  226.5 KB
    This was my first attempt at painting a zombie fleshtone. It was definitely fun because I painted it exactly like Finarton but then I got to weather everything to look old and rotted.

Does anyone know why all my older photos in my WIP have all disappeared?

Those Zombicide minis turned out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    Does anyone know why all my older photos in my WIP have all disappeared?
    I-haven’t seen an answer to this yet. Very frustrating turn of events.