Guawol's WIP Log - Page 13
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Guawol's WIP Log

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Lester Bursley has various recipes using the Flow Aid fir washes. http://awesomepaintjob.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

BTW, I am really liking the blue skin on the Oni.
    Wasn't exactly what I was looking, but definitely interesting information. It would be pretty neat to make my own range of washes. I have been using the flow aid regularly now instead of just the distilled H2O, and have found it helps quite a bit. The quality of paint seems to hold up longer on my wet palette then when I just used the H2O. It has also been helping me control the flow of paint better, unless that is just from practice

Very impressive blues.

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to share the arrival of part 2 of my Zombicide Green Horde kickstarter. Finally got all the exclusives and stretch goals:
    Name:  GZ.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  99.0 KBName:  GZ2.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  105.9 KB
    I'm sometimes surprised that CMON doesn't get sued by anyone for the material they use, such as "The Badger" mini. Also got some more miniature in this set from Adrian Smith, I really like his designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    I'm sometimes surprised that CMON doesn't get sued by anyone for the material they use, such as "The Badger" mini. Also got some more miniature in this set from Adrian Smith, I really like his designs.
    They had to pull some stuff after the campaign had finished from the recent Zombicide Invader kickstarter if I remember rightly (Deckard (Blade Runner), Morpheus (matrix) Tina Turner (mad max)....just depends how sharp peoples IP lawyers are I guess. Have fun painting! I sold both of mine on to fund some other stuff.

Looking forward to the Adrian Smith HATE kickstarter appearing on my door step early next year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    They had to pull some stuff after the campaign had finished from the recent Zombicide Invader kickstarter if I remember rightly (Deckard (Blade Runner), Morpheus (matrix) Tina Turner (mad max)....just depends how sharp peoples IP lawyers are I guess. Have fun painting! I sold both of mine on to fund some other stuff.

Looking forward to the Adrian Smith HATE kickstarter appearing on my door step early next year though.
    Same here! Hopefully by then I will have caught up on my 100/0s of miniatures I need to paint :P

That is quite a haul Guawol! I don't know how you don't get intimidated by the sheer amount of minis you get from a Kickstarter. I have to keep my to paint queue small or I get overwhelmed/frustrated pretty quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing what project you tackle next

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    That is quite a haul Guawol! I don't know how you don't get intimidated by the sheer amount of minis you get from a Kickstarter. I have to keep my to paint queue small or I get overwhelmed/frustrated pretty quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing what project you tackle next
    LOL it has gotten a little out of hand, my friends are starting to question my sanity whenever I buy more :P I try to at least get games that contain minis so even if I don't finish painting them I can still get a use out of them.

Speaking of kickstarter, my new wet palette arrived yesterday!
    Name:  IMG_20180710_172536.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMG_20180710_172632.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  41.8 KB

It's nice to not have to use Tupperware any more for a makeshift wet palette.
    Also here is a little mini from Gloomhaven I painted fairly quickly, not trying for anything more then just simple table top quality. Friends of mine meet up and play about once a month so I am trying to quickly paint the characters we use.
    Name:  IMG_20180710_201930.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  67.0 KB Name:  IMG_20180710_201939.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  64.7 KB

You see now this is Aright - as in this lil guy kicks ass. Paint jobs poro es by BoB !!!

Just little update on the Oni of Skulls. I have decided to go with TMM and finished base coating the gold. Tonight I will go back and add darker shades using agraxearthshade washes and then also add some highlights.Name:  MVIMG_20180716_070125.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  1.01 MB Trying to up load from my phone so hopefully the pic will come through.

Very nice Guawol, the blue skin is excellent, and the gold really stands out against it... this figure is turning out brilliant.

I echo that comment CC!!! Very nice combo!!!

Finished up the skin of the right arms and shoulders as well as added some tonal changes to the gold. I also started base coating all the black parts of the model. It will be interesting as I am still trying to get better at doing shades of black, especially when I want to make sure all the hair comes out looking soft. Not exactly sure how I am going to create that illusion, but I'll give it my best shot :P And at least it will be practice for the tiger fur.
    Also a recap photo, because I like comparisons:
    Name:  1 Prime a.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  88.9 KBName:  3 Skin and Gold Fin a.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  94.4 KB

And the rump side, which is kind of a pain, because its pretty much all skin, not a lot to catch the eye:
    Name:  1 Prime b.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  81.3 KBName:  3 Skin and Gold Fin b.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  92.7 KB

How are you finding that palette Guawol?

I picked up one of the smaller orange ones....seems ok but I'm not convinced by the papers...dont seem to let as much moisture through as I'd like. May just be the hot weather we've had here though.

Might give one a go with standard greaseproof baking sheet paper. Interested to see what you think

@ Hairster:
    The palette has its pros and cons, but I am still on my first sheet of paper so I need to experiment with it more to get a real conclusion. I'm loving the larger surface area to work with, because it lets me put more colors down so I can work on multiple projects. I also don't have to deal with the high walls of the old Tupperware wet palette I was using. As for how it handles paint, I have had paint on it for about 5 days and the only paints that have dried were when I applied very little (about a drop). I do have some concerns (funny enough the exact opposite of you) when I was using my gold metallic paint I had to keep adding more paint when I would come back the next day as the metallic paint separated really quickly almost as if it was pulling more water from the gel/pad and no amount of mixing would get it to a consistency where it would cover the model well. Overall I am happy with it and it is a step up from what I previously had.

That happens to metallics in my tupperware wet pallet too, I'm not sure what causes it but my theory is that the flakes separate from the binder and some of it dries to the paper, it's always worse with my scale 75 ones than gw ones though so maybe it's because those are so thin in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    That happens to metallics in my tupperware wet pallet too, I'm not sure what causes it but my theory is that the flakes separate from the binder and some of it dries to the paper, it's always worse with my scale 75 ones than gw ones though so maybe it's because those are so thin in the first place
    Sounds like a good theory to me. I use Army Painter and Vallejo paints primarily. I used to use GW exclusively but have found I like the dropper style containers of other brands better then the GW pots, helps with thinning and mixing paints. Maybe what I will do is just put down enough metallic paint to use for the session rather than trying to reuse it off the wet palette.

Been awhile since I have posted but I have been lurking in the shadows watching everyones progress. I have been caught up in all manner of adventures, but I keep making progress when I can. I have a friend who is just starting to paint again after years, so it should help me stay motivated as I show him the tips and tricks all of you lovely ppl have shown me. Without further ado:
    Name:  Brute F.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  64.3 KBName:  Brute R.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  70.4 KB
    This is the "Brute" figure from the Gloomhaven game, and is the character I play. I have been trying to finish all the mini's being used in our party. So far I have done 2 out of 4.

Name:  Oni F.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  83.6 KBName:  Oni R.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  84.2 KB
    And for my larger project here is the progress I have made with the Oni of skulls. He should be finished in about 3 more painting sessions, mainly just small details left.

They are both above tabletop quality. I like that brute model and the bit of glow he has going on.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    They are both above tabletop quality. I like that brute model and the bit of glow he has going on.
    Thank you for the compliment KruleBear. I was trying to make the Brute look tree like with a glow coming from within, plus after painting the body all the dull colors I needed to add something to make him pop more. Once I added the green glow and red gloves he started reminding me of the Joker :P

I like the brute. The front is finished and as Krule stated above tabletop quality.
    As you're playing the mini in the game as your character I'd suggest to invest a bit additional time into the cloak.
    Some nice basing will round this up (e.g. walking on bones/skulls)
    Another suggestion: Weapon and shield look like "brandnew" - you might wanna provide a bit more rusty look.
    This guy looks like a veteran, but for sure you can say "fresh loot" :-)