Guawol's WIP Log - Page 16
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Guawol's WIP Log

I agree with the idea on the hair. I think you just need a little more contrast, as the locks are more tightly packed in the front. Still coming along great. I love the texturing on the back of the arms and calves.

I like the hair, I think it looks great! Like Dexter says, the whole thing is coming along very well.

Skin and hair are a really cool colour combination. This will turn out great, once finished. So keep going :-)

Thank you everyone! I was inspired by metalasmedium's project for the hair and skin combination. I have finished the oni of souls. I still don't have a lot of skill with eyeballs. The models always end up looking wide eyed. There is definitely somethings I could improve on but I am happy with how it came out overall. I also need a new photo taking area, getting the light right is tough.
    Name:  4a.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  53.0 KBName:  4c.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  52.9 KBName:  Blood_Skulls_Spite_Soul.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  68.5 KB
    Here are a few pics in a different light
    Name:  3a.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  95.4 KBName:  3b.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  89.7 KB
    I will post pics of my next project once I finish getting it constructed. I am deciding to take a break from the Rising Sun models or I would be posting nothing but models from it. :P

Looking great! A little sliver of green on the topside of the eye, to act as an eyelid could help with that. Personally, I like it like that. he looks crazy.

So here is the next model I plan to work on. It has been so long I don't remember which kickstarter it is from, but it looks like something that will be just fun and not to challenging to paint. I am planning to use OSL making the candles on the antlers the main light source, which will be good practice. I am also going to research and try to make snow to fill in the top of the base.
    Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  51.7 KBName:  1b.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  54.6 KB
    Also as you can probably notice, one of the flames from the candle broke off and I accidentally threw it away, so I had to try and sculpt a flame from left over spree, an exacto knife, and some files :P

The green oni looks great! They look swell together. I am happy if i could of inspired you somehow. Your next project looks interesting!

Did some work on the reds as well as the browns on the body of the reindeer earlier in the week. I decided to keep them at a middle tone and wait to push the highlights until I am ready to tackle the OSL I am planning. Tonight I started applying the base coats for the white on the model. I am trying to do a cool white in the shadows and a warm light where the candle light hits, to really bring out the contrast. Once I applied the skeleton bone next to the wolf grey I was really surprised by how much the OSL go mapped out. It will make it much easier to apply all the other highlights where I need them.
    Name:  2a.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  95.3 KBName:  2b.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  88.0 KBName:  2d.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  89.5 KB

Really nice work on the Green Oni (and the whole set). Love that Santa and Reindeer figure.

Fantastic greens- I like those a lot - what recipe / paints did you use.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Fantastic greens- I like those a lot - what recipe / paints did you use.
    Thanks Bam! I really should get in the habit of writing down my recipes. I generally pick a range of colors from my paints to begin with, but then I start adding what feels right, if that makes any sense. I don't have exact amounts as I mix mainly by eye, but the base range for the green is as follows:

1:2 - Army Painter matte black/Army Painter Angel Green (as a base coat)
    Straight Angel Green
    Straight Army Painter Greenskin
    Glaze over everything with Citadel Waywatcher Green Glaze
    Touch up with the Greenskin
    1:1 Greenskin/Vallejo Escorpena Green
    1:1 Greenskin/Vallejo Light Livery Green
    Used Army Painter Red tone in the deep recesses
    And made a glaze of straight Light Livery Green to bring everything up to that yellow color

That's about as close as I can get to a recipe. There was, of course, as lot of shifting back and forth with the colors to get it where I want it.

Name:  3a.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  81.2 KBName:  3b.jpg
Size:  88.9 KBName:  3c.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  65.2 KBName:  3d.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  74.3 KBName:  3e.jpg
Size:  79.7 KBName:  3f.jpg
Size:  89.6 KB
    You can tell I am having to much fun painting this model because I am taking so many photos :P I have mainly been playing with the white over the last couple of days, just added the yellow today. I enjoy the contrast between using the warm white vs the cool, especially in the reindeers mane. It creates a nice contrast and I think it really helps with the OSL. To get the OSL just right, I feel I will be going back and forth a lot with the lights and darks. I plan on working on the shadows of the reindeer body next, after having worked on some of the lighter areas earlier today. I want to bring the contrasts up a bit. I eventually want to get the feel of the model walking through the night. Not sure how I will get there but that is half the fun.

What a lovely mini! And such a wonderful paint job too. Can't wait to see more!

I agree, that is a pretty cool mini. Love the little elf guy