Guawol's WIP Log - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guawol's WIP Log

Nice work, I'm diggin it! Should look nice and putrid once painted up.

Default New Duo LED lamp

Name:  Daylight Duo LED .jpg
Views: 240
Size:  17.2 KB

Just picked up this lamp from amazon. Now I can finally get rid of the old short regular bulb clip on desk lamp I have been stuck with. Should help with lighting and pics, now just need to get a half way decent camera.

Also I couldnt resist so I backed "The Rising Sun" game on kickstarter cause all the miniatures and exclusive monster models look absolutely amzaing. The only sad part is having to wait until April 2018 to get them...

Default Trying weathering

Name:  crashed ship 5.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  186.6 KBName:  crashed ship 6.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  179.6 KB
    Trying out some weathering advice from BAM. Definitely need to practice more, but thats what I'm here for. The gold I have tried to weather but havent cleaned it up yet so pay it no mind. Its mainly on the engine and steel parts.

Default Testing new light (and using friends much better camera)

Name:  Juggernaut 2.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  152.9 KBName:  Juggernaut 3.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  129.5 KB

Default Crashed Ship weathering

Name:  crashed ship 7.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  159.3 KBName:  crashed ship 8.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  177.0 KBName:  crashed ship 9.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  157.4 KBName:  crashed ship 10.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  148.4 KB

Tried out some weathering techniques, definitely see places I need to improve on, but a lot I'm happy with as well. I'm still going to add some diced up bits of moss and grass creeping out of the rocks as well as on the dirt covering the wing. Workingo n this piece is definitely teaching me a lot that I can use on the other 4 pieces.
    Last edited by Guawol; 03-10-2017 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    Also I couldnt resist so I backed "The Rising Sun" game on kickstarter cause all the miniatures and exclusive monster models look absolutely amzaing. The only sad part is having to wait until April 2018 to get them...
    So far I am pretending that Kickstarter does not exist...

the ruined ship is really coming together.

The ship is developing nicely Guawol.

I would definitley thin down whatever you are applying for you dark weathered patches. You can usually afford to apply lot of barely there coats to build up texture and depth of the weathering.

Similarly, some good weathering pigments/powders are a great help as these will allow you slowly add in the grime and damage with more control. I will often apply watered down inks to start the weathering, then work dry pigments on top followed by more ink on the pigments to add variation intone and texture (the powder will also clag up nicely for flaky rusty/dirty goodness) then more ppwder etc etc until I am happy. I will often add in flecks of silver along the way to deepen the texture and show exposed metal

Alot of these things are trial and error to see what works for you...keep at it though as there is clear progress in what you are doing.

Also ignoring that KS...although some of the minis in it look potentially lovely subject to how well they are made.

Still waiting on Massive Darkness here which I went in on (along with one to sell on).....delayed from April 2017 to July already...so trying to forget about it for now....

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post

Similarly, some good weathering pigments/powders are a great help as these will allow you slowly add in the grime and damage with more control. I will often apply watered down inks to start the weathering, then work dry pigments on top followed by more ink on the pigments to add variation intone and texture (the powder will also clag up nicely for flaky rusty/dirty goodness) then more ppwder etc etc until I am happy. I will often add in flecks of silver along the way to deepen the texture and show exposed metal

Thank you for the advice. I have seen a few tutorials where pigments were used but haven't acquired any to test yet, probably something I'll look into next. I definitely realized after I added some of the washes that I did not dilute them enough. Is there a good way to get them more blended without having to repaint the blue?

Default Crashed Ship part 1

Name:  crashed ship 11.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  164.1 KBName:  crashed ship 12.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  169.5 KBName:  crashed ship 13.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  177.2 KB
    Here is one out of five of the ship's parts, thinking I'm gonna stop for now on this piece and move on to the next, that way as I get better I can go back and make slight adjustments and tweaks. I'm pretty happy with the out come, there are definitely a few places I messed up on but that in and of itself is a lesson learned and to correct going forward. :P I'm also currently doing more work on that Deathwing terminator and will probably post more pics tonight.

Default Deathwing Squad Ldr

Name:  Squad Ldr 7.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  256.2 KBName:  Squad Ldr 5.jpg
Size:  289.6 KBName:  Squad Ldr 6.jpg
Size:  260.0 KBName:  Squad Ldr 8.jpg
Size:  256.3 KB

Got the bone armor up to where I wanted it and now going to start on the greens.
    Last edited by Guawol; 03-12-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Name:  Squad Ldr 9.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  152.5 KBName:  Squad Ldr 10.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  141.6 KB
    Progressed made so far this morning. Been primarily focusing on the robes, building up the highlights, and then working on the areas that will be white while waiting for the washes to dry on the robes. Working on this model and the ship is the first time I havent had to work with a very restricted palette of colors to chose from. Having the extra options has definitely helped me do better transitions between shades.

Name:  Squad Ldr 11.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  164.8 KB
    Getting close to finishing, I'll probably be done in the next few days depending on how much painting time I get. Tried out a new technique on the power sword, definitely need to get smoother color transitions as well as getting thinner lines on the electric effect. Still I'm happy with hows its going, trying out a lot of new techniques and paints on this model.

Looking good dude! Nice blending on the sword, a little rough but you've got the idea. Better than I could do I'm sure.

Thanks Octavian. Having a bunch of new paints is finally letting me practice doing shades and color transitions, so hopefully over time I'll get better at making them a little less rough. I had original thought about using my airbrush on the sword ( as I have seen in some tutorials), but that was a lot of setup for just one small piece of the model and I wanted to get the practice doing it by brush and hand.

Could perhaps do with a few more slightly thinner layers. When I saw it on my phone earlier it looked great, slightly less zoomed in than I can see it now. At model size I bet it looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Could perhaps do with a few more slightly thinner layers. When I saw it on my phone earlier it looked great, slightly less zoomed in than I can see it now. At model size I bet it looks awesome
    Yeah that has always been a problem with my pictures. When I look at the model directly the blends and colors look better, but once I take the pic, zoom in, crop the photo, and resize, it seems like the colors become dull, the blends a bit less evident, and all my mistakes stick out :P Almost feel like I should take my pics from farther away. I am using a crappy outdated smart phone camera and I am definitely not a "pro" at photography. Once I finish the model, I'll try to get a photo box setup and borrow my roommates more up to date phone to try and get better pictures.

Photos will always amplify any mistakes buddy. If you shrunk the Earth down to the size of a tennis ball it'd be an almost perfect sphere, but get up close and try hiking up Everest and you wouldn't agree.

Very true words. At least when I see the mistakes I then know what to work on.

Name:  Squad Ldr 12.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  95.3 KB
    I try and get a little painting in every night (if I can), so here is a little update. Still have to work up my shades of red and gold as well as highlights on the steel, as well as other minor touch ups.