Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guawol's WIP Log

He's coming together really nicely Guawol

You could probably push the highlights a bit more on the edges of the armour, really like the overall colour scheme though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    He's coming together really nicely Guawol

You could probably push the highlights a bit more on the edges of the armour, really like the overall colour scheme though.
    Thank you. Your right I was thinking about going back and doing some extreme highlight with skeleton/screaming skull on the armor.

Really nice! I really like the softness of the sash and the power sword is cool too. And like the others said, I think some extra highlights on the power armor would really give it some punch. Really like it so far.

Thank you everyone! I finished (our at least believe I have) the Deathwing terminator, I want to try setting up a photo box before I take pictures of it and the rest of its squad, but that wont happen til tomorrow. I did want to show what the next project I am working on.
    Name:  Reaper Red Dragon.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  46.6 KB
    The reaper Red Dragon. I'm going to try my hand at display base making for this one, probably using some cork board to build a cliff like setting. This is going to be a gift for my gf and when I asked her what color dragon she wanted she told me Rainbow...So I think I know how I'm going to do it, and I know it will be tough, but if nothing else it will really give me practice with my color and wash shading.
    Name:  Whole pillar.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  66.8 KB
    I also got this pillar which I'm planning on cutting up to make it look like its broken and toppled down the cliff leaving bits at different levels.

Name:  Display 2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  99.1 KB
    This is the display base. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible since it is the first one I ever attempted. I will be adding sand and probably some stone/rocks to give variety of textures, and make everything blend together more.
    Name:  Dragon on Base.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  96.6 KB
    And this is with the dragon in place. Just finished green stuffing the spaces between the connecting points. I think this project is shaping up to be something fun and interesting!

Here are my final photos for the Deathwing Squad ldr:
    Name:  Squad Ldr 13.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  74.0 KBName:  Squad Ldr 13a.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  66.6 KBName:  Squad Ldr 13b.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  70.1 KBName:  Squad Ldr 13c.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  70.2 KB
    Then a couple photos of the squad:
    Name:  DW Squad 1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  95.5 KBName:  DW Squad 2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  131.4 KB

Nice work dude! They look great and cohesive together.

Wow, the death squad looks awesome! I've never seen that color scheme before. Nice job.

Nice work the armours look smooth and I also like the "beige" colour. I find the white trims on the base a bit strange, but if it is cohesive with the rest of the army then it will make sense.
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5257 out of 235360 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Thank you everyone! I started the squad close to 3 years ago (right around the time 6th edition first came out), but keep loosing steam while working on them so never got around to finishing them until now. These models were a stepping stone for a lot of different techniques, such as learning to use washes, highlighting, color layering, etc. The biege color really came about because of having a limited color palette as well as being a novice towards building up colors, tried to get as close to the actual bone armor look as I could. Still I'm really happy with how they came out and all I learned from them.

@Maenas: Yeah I'll probably paint the rim of the bases black, I dont actually play a Dark Angel Army (I'm ran an Ultramarine Army when I used to play). I got this squad from the Dark Vengeance set back in the day with the intention of selling them to help me buy more paints and other miniature materials I needed.

HEY!!! I just got those D&D myrmidons the other day!! Looks like we both have great taste in models!! lol.. which one is your favorite? (I like the water one the most...that trident looks awesome, but the stone one looks badass too! I'm gonna do some conversions on the wind one )
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    HEY!!! I just got those D&D myrmidons the other day!! Looks like we both have great taste in models!! lol.. which one is your favorite? (I like the water one the most...that trident looks awesome, but the stone one looks badass too! I'm gonna do some conversions on the wind one )
    Right now my favorite is the wind one, mainly because of how I want to try and paint it. I'm gonna try and make the end of his flail look like a sun and use it to practice OSL, to try and make the wind elementals body shaded like a sunset, rather then the traditional grey/white body. I havent started on any of them yet, because I just got back into painting after a long break, and am trying work all the rust off my techniques as well as improve a bit more. I really want to do them justice. I'll probably start the stone elemental after I finish the dragon I just started

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    Right now my favorite is the wind one, mainly because of how I want to try and paint it. I'm gonna try and make the end of his flail look like a sun and use it to practice OSL, to try and make the wind elementals body shaded like a sunset, rather then the traditional grey/white body. I havent started on any of them yet, because I just got back into painting after a long break, and am trying work all the rust off my techniques as well as improve a bit more. I really want to do them justice. I'll probably start the stone elemental after I finish the dragon I just started
    I hear ya! I'm the same way..I haven't finished painting anything in probably 2 years lol... my idea for the wind elemental is to paint him like a thunder cloud (grays and purples) and I'm gonna reposition the mace arm and remove the mace and give him a lighting bolt. Hopefully it will look like he's throwing a bolt of lightning!! .... man being a modeler is fun lol!!
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Loving that squad bud. Alot.
    Weatherung here's my model lets say where talking bough that blue your using. After all shed/ highlighting is done.
    1) apply shading in the recesses with bestial brown. It's in a thinned down application.alsomake streaks from how water droplets accumulate then gather weight then dio carrying that thinned dirt rust line .be selective here and there. Now
    2) use a sponge (rip off a corner) and dio it into slightly watered down electric blue(something that tone) then Dab it onto your palette ,when you like the pattern of big and small fleks than dabb into the model in random places like anywhere chips ,wear and tear wod be left from use. Pla Edike edges of hands on dreadnought, wings of fighter bombers, knees and pads of marines. Etc
    3) use that same color and apply (extremely thin) scratches and scrapes.rNdom,diff places diff directions and diff lengths.
    4) apy with a dark brown all the things above from streaks to scrapes. Only diff is in the center of the sponges applied chips put a small bit of mithril silver in the center. This shows chips down to the metal.
    You can be selective and make the Bestial brown streaks running off of some of these as well.
    5) now I'm on to pigment powders I use a dark brown and a light and dark rust. At this point unless its alot of exposed metal you don't need to use this ( the light and dark rust)
    However feels free to stipple or Dab on the the dark browns etc.
    6)this is also the pint you can dab or leave small pools or puddle of a darker brown as scorched brown with a bit of black paint .thisaplication of the s or he's brown/ black and bestial brown turnout much better if they are dabbed on and or left in alls pools as staining. This is the model I use that I've had some great results with. So try these things out from everyone .. Maybe you use one point from thousand another from someone else . Maybe you keep some and discard others . Either way its a learning process and all these are for you are a starting point to building. It takes abit of pra rice to accomplish anything and ultimately you know what your looking for bud !!!

Thanks BAM! I'll have to give it a try on the next part of the crashed ship!

Name:  Librarian 1a.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  73.7 KBName:  Librarian 1b.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  74.4 KBName:  Librarian 1c.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  71.0 KB
    Here is a Dark Angel Librarian I have been working on all day. Going on a trip to a martial arts series of seminars this weekend and knew I wouldnt get any painting done, so trying to get as much as I can done today. I'm really trying to work on my shading and glazes/washes to get the colors to be smoother. Been looking at everyone's WIP and I am trying to emulate a lot of what I see. I was also trying to use the wash technique Bailey was talking about in BAM's WIP on the limited amount of exposed face.

Great work, certainly is looking smoother. Try pushing the highlights on the beige cloth a little brighter. The blue is looking a little more sky blue than the middle blue librarian armour usually is, this may have been your intention. But if not perhaps a few layers of blue glaze (Guilliman blue) over to bring it together a bit more.

Good work though!
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Great work, certainly is looking smoother. Try pushing the highlights on the beige cloth a little brighter. The blue is looking a little more sky blue than the middle blue librarian armour usually is, this may have been your intention. But if not perhaps a few layers of blue glaze (Guilliman blue) over to bring it together a bit more.

Good work though!
    I think your right about the blue.I believe I used to much Wolf Grey in the original mixes. I do plan on pushing the biege cloth highlights. I was still working up some of the color with glazes before I put the final highlights on. Same with the green.

Name:  Librarian 3b.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  82.3 KBName:  Librarian 3a.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  80.0 KBName:  Librarian 3c.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  79.0 KB
    Just and update on the librarian. I had a little bit of time to paint on Monday, but was to wiped out Sunday when I got back from my trip. The red is just the first layer as I build up the base color. I'm saving the sword for last cause I want to try use nmm technique for steel and then make an attempt at red glowing runes.

Looking good, Guawol! Getting some good depth and contrast. Layering and blending by glazing is a painstaking process that requires more than a little patience. You're off to a great start. Just a little nit: the flap of green cloth down by the model's right foot, in the front, could probably go for a little more smoothing, if you get the chance.