Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Guawol's WIP Log

I love the ambitious color scheme with the Dragon project. That sculpt looks great too! Do you know who sculpted/sells this mini? I'll be watching your progress on it with great interest!

It's coming along nicely.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Thank you everyone! I'm going to try and get more work done on it today. Hopefully get the base coating finished and start the next layer of colors.

As for the information on the miniature I provide a link to where I bought it from: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineSto...sku-down/60028

Looking forward more progress, I am kind of intrigued on how those three colours will look ^^
    I also like the dragon, so thank you for the link. Although I have a prohibition on buying more miniatures till at least I paint more of them. LOL
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Looking forward more progress, I am kind of intrigued on how those three colours will look ^^
    I also like the dragon, so thank you for the link. Although I have a prohibition on buying more miniatures till at least I paint more of them. LOL
    I try to follow that plan but then I walk into a hobby store and make the mistake of looking at the models....
    And an update but no photos yet, I have finished base coating the scales that will be rainbow (still need to do the belly, wing leather, and other small parts in the colors I have planned), so if I get time tonight I will begin doing some overlapping thin washes with the Red, Green, and Blue, my thought is to try and get the under layer to start to blend together before I move on to changing the 3 colors to six. I'm also thinking of trying to do a gold or bronze nmm for the belly scales but not sure how that will look with the rainbow colors of the scales.

Name:  Dragon 5.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  95.9 KBName:  Dragon 6.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  95.5 KBName:  Dragon 7.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  105.2 KBName:  Dragon 8.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  93.9 KB
    So doing washes to try and give each color a hint of the color next to it before I really start the full spectrum. Trying to get time to paint, but it seems like everyone wants some of my time, guess I can blame spring :P

Looks great Guawol. I didn't realise that the dragon was actually quite small.

The different colours are looking good without coming across garish, which is the worry when painting a rainbow pattern.
    I'm excited to see what's next on him when you get a chance to sit down and paint again
    error 404: signature not found

The washes are really tying the pattern into a natural look. Very nice progrress.

Looking good! I agree that you're doing a great job of avoiding clashes with all those pure colors. What is the actual model, Guawol?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Looks great Guawol. I didn't realise that the dragon was actually quite small.
    Yeah the dragon is only about 4 inches tall, bigger then my usual models but nothing huge.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Looking good! I agree that you're doing a great job of avoiding clashes with all those pure colors. What is the actual model, Guawol?
    Its supposed to be a Red Dragon I got from reapermini. I have a link to where I got it from a few posts up.

And thank you for the praise everyone, I knew going into this project that it was going to be tough, but I wanted to push myself out of my comfort levels to try and improve as much as I can. Figured this would give me lots of practice on blending and washing. This project is going to take a bit, especially with all the build up washes :P, but hopefully after my belt test this weekend my time will free up.

That Dragon is looking awesome! nice work!

Name:  Dragon 9.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  139.8 KBName:  Dragon 10.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  131.1 KBName:  Dragon 11.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  114.4 KB
    Just an update to give a general idea on what I'm doing with the rainbow colors. I have only worked on the head and neck, and there are still some places I need to build the color up a bit more. I think one of the tricky parts is going to be accentuating the shadows and highlights.

Looking great, dude! That's a lot of scales to work on but it's coming together nicely!

Name:  Dragon 12.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  72.5 KBName:  Dragon 13.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  59.2 KBName:  Dragon 14.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  49.8 KB
    Slowly working the colors in. Today I worked on lightening up the blues and greens. I decided to experiment by focusing my light directly above the dragon and while keeping the dragon in place I applied the lighter colors where I could see the light reflect off the base coat. Hopefully on Sat I can work more of the purple and orange into the model.

This is going to be a tough model but I like vet where your going with this rainbow dragon idea!!! Keep it up and at the end of all your hard work you'll be Able to look at this very complex project and stand in awe at your own work.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    This is going to be a tough model but I like vet where your going with this rainbow dragon idea!!! Keep it up and at the end of all your hard work you'll be Able to look at this very complex project and stand in awe at your own work.
    Thanks BAM! No matter how it turns out in the end the experience gained and the pride of actually attempting and completing the dragon will be a great reward. When I start working on it I get to excited and I have to keep slowing myself down and think about all my color and light placements.

I agree with BAM, this is really coming along nicely! Those highlights look pretty smooth to my eyes and are making the colors pop. I have trouble with the patience part too so you're in good company

Name:  Dragon 17.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  51.1 KBName:  Dragon 18.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  52.0 KBName:  Dragon 19.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  56.9 KBName:  Dragon 16.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  74.4 KB

Chugging away and haven't gone cross eyed yet!

Love the blue-green transition on the wings. Keep 'em sharing ^^
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Quite a lovely piece to look at..coming along extremely nice!!!