Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mally's WIP

Default Mally's WIP

New phone, new WIP. Formerly Gandalf the Grey, I have been itching to drop that, so here I am as plain old Mally.

So back to progress, my Glottkin is finally finished as I will be entering it into my first competition this weekend at Salute in London.
    i will give a full update later but here's a little teaser for now.
    Name:  IMG_0325.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  1.70 MB

It's sideways! Having already seen the pictures i can safely say everyone's in for a treat with this one, great job Mally

Excellent my young friend!!!! Sheer enjoyment!!! Btw the first thing I thought when I saw the pic "I honestly thought it was the old John Blanche diorama where the u dead are attackin an empire fortress!!! Then I saw the glotkin arm and said.... Oh yeah ...this kid is now an expert !!!im blown away malls!!!

First, great to see you back on here, Mally!

Second... WOW! I can't wait to see the entirety of this diorama. From your little teaser it looks absolutely stunning, both in scale and execution. Best of luck at Salute!

Thanks for the praise fellas. I'm really looking forward to the weekend.

Johny - thanks for the young man bit - I'm 47 !

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the diorama. Fantastic little tease!
    error 404: signature not found

Subscribed, Mr. Mally ^^
    Good luck attending the Salute contest!!
    PS: This tiny bit looks astonishing.
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Excellent my young friend!!!! Sheer enjoyment!!! Btw the first thing I thought when I saw the pic "I honestly thought it was the old John Blanche diorama where the u dead are attackin an empire fortress!!! Then I saw the glotkin arm and said.... Oh yeah ...this kid is now an expert !!!im blown away malls!!!
    ^^^^^This! Very nice teaser.

Good luck at Salute. Can't wait to see this finished. The WIP photos in your old thread were looking great, I'm sure this is an awesome piece.

Unfortunately I didn't make the first cut which I was a bit gutted about but what can you do ? I did get loads of positive feedback on the day which was amazing. The experience was fantastic and I loved meeting friends old and new.
    This was the finished piece

Name:  IMG_0431.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  1.19 MB Name:  IMG_0445.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  604.6 KB Name:  IMG_0447.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  1.24 MB Name:  IMG_0453.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  IMG_0439.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  934.7 KB Name:  IMG_0445.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  604.6 KB Name:  IMG_0455.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  1.05 MB

Pity you did not make the cut! There is a lot of work in this piece!!

I must say that I like the scenery a lot, specially the skeleton on the water, I think it's excellent. The big green monster is ace, I think I told you that his face was specially good, I like the fact that it still shows some spark of humanity behind it. ^^

But I do not quite like how the nurgle monster fits on the scenery, I find there is something strange that gets me off, but I do not know what that can be or point out anything in special.

In my opinion it would look better if the creature with the blue flames were the center piece of the scene (with something like an horde of zombies and/or skeletons following or even better rising up) and leaving the big monster out of the dio. But then I do not know if it would qualify for the group you were into.

But that's just my way of seeing the piece, and in any way I am saying it is not good or that I dislike it, I am just giving you my honest feedback

Also on the scenery, I love the gravestones, the inscriptions on them look ace! Also the calligraphy on the plaque looks very good IMO.
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

I think it looks great mally, and seeing all the work going into it as it progresses has been really interesting. I was shocked it didn't make the first cut but maybe there was too much for the judges to take in. Hope it has better luck in any other comps you take it to

Skel - thanks mate, shame you couldn't make Salute.
    Meanas - thanks mate and don't worry I do not take offence. We all have our own view of how things come together and that makes what we all do unique.
    Hywel - cheers mate, I know you've been with me through this
    Visit me on Putty and Paint

http://www.puttyandpaint.com/Mally17

All I can say is ...I FERKIN LOVE THIS!!!! Now this is beautiful work.not marking cuts doesn't mean it's not amazing it just means that those they picked to advance were the best of the best and then the ones that place were the best of that best.it still rocks...it's an amazing piece to be proud of...next time your there look at all the amazing big names of all artists that did not make the finals.youll realize your in great company !!!well done.

Awesome work, Mally! Surprised and sorry to hear that you didn't move on to the cut, but your Glottkin is outstanding, either way! Personally, I love the bright, unnatural-looking monster shambling through the more natural-looking scenery; I feel like Nurgle & undead stuff ought to look out of place, but I think we're in the minority on that one.
    Amazing work, bud. I hope we get lots more angles & close-ups. Buttcloth close-up on that freehand, please?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Buttcloth close-up on that freehand, please?
    One of those phrases you thought you'd never say?

I don't see a problem with the mix of Nurgle and undead, the blue flames on the glottkin's back ties them together well. I do think that the glottkin may be too bright for the scene. The diorama conveys a night scene really well (especially the trees on the left) but colours tend to become desaturated in darkness, and the glottkin is nothing if not saturated.

Saying that, it's still extraordinarily good and far beyond anything I could hope to achieve! Just want to offer some amateur constructive criticism along with heaps of praise
    error 404: signature not found

Thanks fellas. It's great to know what I've done is appreciated by the likes of yourselves.
    A silver on P&P is also nice.

furthermore in true BAM style

PLEASE VOTE

http://www.coolminiornot.com/412516

Last edited by Mally; 04-24-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Voted and commented, atmospheric, gritty and great piece of storytelling IMO

great job on a pretty daunting model

Thanks guys, some lovely comments on there