Thread: Pate's Descent painting log.

Default Pate's Descent painting log.

Hi guys! Been out of it for a couple of years and boy the stuff's that's beint put out there these days is just incredible. Anywhoo... Getting hooked on Descent: Journeys in the Dark got me back into mini-painting aswell. Hence the name of the thread. Evident from the pictures I'm not trying to create any masterpieces, I just want some nice looking pieces when playing. This might be of, at most, midly interest but I'd still like to share it with you. Any tips, comments and feedback is more than welcome.

I considers this figures more of game-accessories rather than the way I see figures in wargaming. I wanted to preserve that feeling and therefor I painted the bases in similar color to the original color of the plastic (for those who doesn't know descent the color of the plastic is used to tell figures apart) with a clear coat for finish. It sort of flopped, but I'm keeping it for now.

The first group to get painted was Zombies.
    Name:  5CH5p1y.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  1.23 MB

Barghests came second.
    Name:  MswAy6r.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  1.06 MB

Nara The Fang, a hero.
    Name:  mlSvzJG.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  660.9 KB

Next up is Goblin Archers.

As I said, I'm obviously not trying to, or is capable of, creating any master pieces. I just want to be a part of the community again ^_^

Welcome back! These will look great when playing the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    Welcome back! These will look great when playing the game!
    Thanks! I think it'll look neat^_^

Welcome back to the hobby and nice work. i like that Barghest sculpt a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Welcome back to the hobby and nice work. i like that Barghest sculpt a lot.

Thanks! Here's a Goblin WIP. Taking the chance to practice my NMM. The helmet and shoulderpad are supposed to be bronze.
    Name:  20170504_223547.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.35 MB

Reference
    Name:  GoblinArcher.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  6.4 KB

Ok, these guys are not my proudest moment and they're in man aspects a modeling nightmareXD I'm just glad it's over.

Goblin archers
    Name:  E1toVQV.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  1,006.7 KB

They look pretty good to me, especially for board game plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    They look pretty good to me, especially for board game plastic.
    Thanks! I think they'll look great on the board It's just the photogenecy that makes me cringeXD

I agree with Krule, these looks pretty good, especially the highlights. The details don't look overly sharp on these minis which makes them harder to paint and is a problem I've run into with Mansions of Madness minis. Do Descent minis have a lot of mold lines like MoM do? I've often been tempted to play Descent and just never gotten around to it. Hopefully one of these days I will because it looks fun!

Painting a lieutenant, a large troll named Bol'goreth. Trying to step it up a notch. Got a pretty clear idea where I want to end up with the shading of the skin, i've yet to darken the darkest areas, any feedback welcome. In particular I'd like feedback where to go with the highlighting of the skin, and tips how and where to apply texture. I'm planning to paint the face in a warmer tone, thoughs?
    2 pro studio shots for you
    Name:  20170509_075714.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  20170509_075644.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  1.67 MB

Throwing in this guy as well. It's what got mer going again Haven't finished the base yet, obviously^_^ Will be part of a tyranid KT.
    Name:  IMG_20170402_005052_661.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  383.0 KB

Name:  20170512_171931.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  1.37 MB
    Purple sucked, started all over. Let me know what you think! I started with the transition to gray this time sorunda because that's where shit went haywire with P
    purple. I'm going to keep shading til almost black blue. But I don't want like blue mid-tones, suggestions? Also, what about highlights? Suggestions welcome. Please people, I need your help here

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    I agree with Krule, these looks pretty good, especially the highlights. The details don't look overly sharp on these minis which makes them harder to paint and is a problem I've run into with Mansions of Madness minis. Do Descent minis have a lot of mold lines like MoM do? I've often been tempted to play Descent and just never gotten around to it. Hopefully one of these days I will because it looks fun!
    Thanks! Lots and lots of mold lines and in all the wrong places... Some minis are better than others though. I have Mansions of Madness 2nd and I wouldn't dream about painting those minis. The plastic is more rubbery than not and the detail is horrible, Descent minis are a lot better in that regard. I'd say the Descent ones are actually over all very nice. They are a bit more "classic" or "old school" than say GW's minis which are just riddled with pointless deatails. They seem for the most part to be pretty straight forward to paint, but sometimes lacking in detail and too often huge mold lines in places where they're really hard to get rid of. You should try Descent, I recently got it and playing it is one of my best nerd experiences ever. I really, really love it and can't get enough. In my opinion it's a perfect mix between RP, figure and board gaming

Painting-wise, Descent sounds like a major improvement compared to Mansions of Madness then! I'm so used to finding mold lines as I paint my figures, it is getting kind of scary. I will definitely keep Descent on my "possibly buying" list once I finally finish painting Mansions of Madness. I'm probably about 60% done painting all of my minis so it won't be too long before I can move onto another big project like that! I'm also always looking for a new game that has good miniatures that you can play solo which Descent offers too. I'd love to play a fantasy themed dungeon crawl as well.

As far as your painting progress goes, the Tyranid is looking good and I really like the color scheme. I think repainting the ogre to a light blue was a good move. Gray and Blue are similar in tone and the transitions are a lot smoother now which makes it look more realistic. I think if you can add some shading like a watered down Nuln Oil in the recesses (you can also use a medium like Lahmia Medium from Citadel Paints), you'll be well on your way to having a really nice skin tone on that ogre! If you water your shade down enough, you can even gradually bring in the shadows doing two to three coats. I'm looking forward to seeing you finish up the rest of that guy! He is going to look pretty fierce when done

I actually liked the contrast the purple added, butt was heavy handed which made the transitions harsher than the smooth transitions you have going on now. If you still like the purple idea, mix some in with your last shadow color and add it to the darkest areas of the shadow.

Started to paint one of my old metal dwarfs. He'll be part of an AoS skirmish team. The skin is about done I reckon. Might add some red to the shadows and the face is a bit messy, especially the right half. Looking forward to your feedback!
    Name:  Voufqg6.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  380.9 KB
    Name:  XlruxJb.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  51.6 KBName:  9Z3gww2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  52.7 KBName:  dw3a6Rm.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  359.2 KBName:  XL8z6VC.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  375.4 KB

The struggle is real. Working on the axe.
    Name:  7aBxFxF.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  737.9 KB

Nice work so far, hes a characterful chap
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Thanks!
    Trying to give the flat part of the head a hammered metal look, the kind you get with one of them round headed hammers. Got started on the beard aswell. Going for graying, slayer orange... We'll see where it ends up XD Name:  oRJ3966.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  1.63 MB

Any and all feedback is welcome.
    Last edited by pate; 06-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.