Warhammer Fest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer Fest

Default Warhammer Fest

Quick question...

I've never been to the Ricoh before, which is a bit odd as I work in the events/exhibition industry...

Anyway....will be driving up on Sunday, so....what's the parking like? And how mental are the queues to get in?

Can plan my trip then!

Thanks

Not sure about the parking but I'll be there! The title was vague so I'm hijacking the thread slightly to a show of hands!

The queues worked smoothly IIRC the last time I went (2014). All in all the switch to Ricoh arena was a nice move.

Plenty of parking and free on Sunday.
    Queues are not to bad normally
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Thanks 10...much appreciated. Looking forward to it now.

I last went in 1991 I think back in the Derby Assambly room days....decided two weeks ago to go full on with my blood bowl team n display...definitely not expecting anything from it though as have never entered before. Will be good to check everyone else's entries out though.
    Last edited by Hairster; 05-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Well its been free the last two years anyway
    I'm one of the weird people who gets stressed over parking
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I live just round the corner. There should be more than enough parking there, though it's next to a retail park so the bank holiday might cramp it a bit. Queues will be about as good as you can expect, the road running past has plenty of lanes to keep the traffic moving.

If you're worried, I can recommend some places a short walk away.

Thanks Fox....will get my bum in gear and get there early I think.

@Ten....what's the deal with taking in small repair kits...glue/knife etc. Guessing it may be frowned upon for security reasons...understandable at the moment though...

Never been searched yet but that could change because of recent terrible events.
    glue should be ok.
    "
    . Andyg

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are security checks at the door today and tomorrow. I'm in a hotel farther away now due to getting punted by novotel so now furiously working out local trains. Or it's a taxi on Sunday charges

Congrats all who did well. Andy and i got finalists, dave got gold, stef bronze, massive well done to mally on his first demon
    I know it's always said every year but trust me the standard was THROUGH THE ROOF this year.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks 10...picked up a finalist pin so really happy....think I lucked out with the limited entries to the BB team category...chuffed for my first ever entry though.

A huge amount of staggeringly intricate work on show.

Managed to catch a glimpse of most of the forumites entries...some stunning stuff between you all

Congratulations!

Congrats to all for one of the toughest contests on the face of the earth. Well done to the finalists and winners circle!!!))

Name:  2017-05-29 16.28.57.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  20.2 KB

Arguably the four greatest painters who never won yesterday lol
    Mark Lifton (Liffy), me, Andy, Richard (rose model art). SkelettetS, Mally and sproket are all on the stage.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill

Congrats to all! Volomir posted a video of the awards ceremony on his FB if anyone wants to watch it. It's a bit hard to hear the names at times, and the video screen wasn't working, but it's still cool to watch people get their demons.

i was just wondering why i aint in the picture lee ;P

mostly satisfied with the event, although my lotr entry was totally neglected i can at least re-enter it for next year. shit that happens in big events like this so not really much to say there.
    I a bit "confused" because prior to the event they said they are going change the judging a bit and look into the artistic side more this time, yet it was still hugely beneficial to paint by numbers in a eavy metal style.
    also the nerf of especially 40k monster made it a category with 4 entries at the end, only one in real GD quality (all other stuff got disqualified) so they might have to fix that category somehow for next year.

oh and the light in the cabinets :/

still a very nice event. 8/10 from me!

Why did they disqualify pieces for 40k monster?

people had entered horus heresy primarchs in that category as they used to be in that category, but they made a change this year so primarchs, ork bosses, ogryns etc that sized miniatures is now 40k single instead (imho not the best decision)

it makes that category extremely slim as there are only deamons, large nids and some eldar stuff that fit into into it.

The cabinet lighting was dreadful....not really sure how they accurately judged any of the models in that room...they seemed to have one daylight lamp on the judging table they were shuffling everything under.

Imagine they probably rent those cabinets in for the event...but they could easily buy in a load of LED lamps and swap them out for those horrific yellow diachroic lamps in the cabinets.

If you were on the top shelf you could babrely make out any detail from the lamp glare and if you were ont he third or fourth shelf there was virtually no light.

2nd shelf down was the sweet spot for sure.

The lighting did seem poor this time. I was telling Andy how good the natural light was at the venue and when we got there the curtains were closed. Doh!