Thread: Replica's Build Log

Default Replica's Build Log

Hi all,

I have decided to start a work log instead of a new thread for each one.

First up - Blood Angels Librarian. I once again forgot to get a pic of the model's pose! This one is based on the Deathwatch Blood Ravens Librarian from the Overkill box.

The blue on the legs is essentially done, but is not overly visible from the front, so here it is from the back

The psychic hood has been highlighted, and shaded. I don't think ill do any damage or weathering on the hood, its unlikely to be seen, and I think it looks good as is at the moment.

So, slow start but I'll get more done on the weekend.

Unfortunately it looks like the spray undercoat has left a slight texture on some areas, which is a shame but not bothering me enough to strip and respray it.

Thanks for looking and all comments and criticism welcome!

~ Replica

Airbrushes are your friend buddy! If you ever get a chance to invest in a cheap one and a small compressor, I couldn't recommend them enough.

Your work so far is looking really good, and anyone who paints a Blood Raven is a champ in my book.
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Airbrushes are your friend buddy! If you ever get a chance to invest in a cheap one and a small compressor, I couldn't recommend them enough.

Your work so far is looking really good, and anyone who paints a Blood Raven is a champ in my book.
    Thanks mate! I've got a Badger Renegade Velocity and a small compressor, I just can rarely be bothered setting it up and cleaning it haha!

Sorry for the double post - got an update on the BA Librarian.

I've done some work on his loincloth. I decided to do this in the heavy texture technique from the Dark Angel cloak I painted a while back. I still need to go back with some glazes and tweak the texture a little but it is finished for the most part.

I've also done the gold on the legs and chest. Its a little hard to see the colour differences between the gold and cloth colours in the photo, soi might glaze some more yellows over the gold and see how that goes.

I have also finished the details on the backpack. I'll add some text on the parchment, but ive not decided exactly how i want to do it. I intend to emulate the style of medieval text but have to look at more examples before attempting it.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my build log, its much appreciated!

All comments and criticism welcome!

~Replica

Nice work so far.
    Try and get the edge highlights really sharp and crisp (this can be a challenge and will take time)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Nice work so far.
    Try and get the edge highlights really sharp and crisp (this can be a challenge and will take time)
    Will do, might go back over them with the electric blue

Sorry for the double post! I've finished the BA Librarian now. Not 100% happy with the face, so I'll have to practice some more bare heads!

I've also been reading up on taking better pics, so let me know what you think of both the model and the photos!

Thanks for looking!

~Replica

I'm on to doing another Tyrannic War Vet, this time based on the Vael Donatus Deathwatch model. The model itself could have been used largely unaltered, but I wanted to open up the chest area and show the fantastic detail. This time I remembered to get some pics of the model before painting it - and I think i need some help with the sword decision.

I like the big sword, but I feel this one might be a little too big.

I tried it out with a shorter sword - this one reminds me of the short swords similar to the old Roman style of sword which I feel fits with the Ultramarines.

As this sword was smaller, it could be held upwards like this too:

I am leaning towards the short sword, held low, but am not totally sold so I'd love to hear some opinions!

Thanks for looking!

~Replica

short sword held low fist the smurf aesthetic and fluff for sure
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    short sword held low fist the smurf aesthetic and fluff for sure
    Yep, good call, short sword held low it is! Thanks mate!

Hi All,

Small update, started on the legs and rear torso:

Not quite finished - I had thought it was looking a little plain, but I think once i finish the edge highlights and add some weathering and battle damage, it should make up for it. There's also quite a bit of detail on there breaking up the large patches of blue that I think will make it look more interesting.

Thanks for looking! - all C&C welcome!
    ~ Replica

Sorry for the triple post! - more progress this weekend!

Did some freehand on the shield, and added some grime, weathering and battle damage. This is an attempt at the "Tyrannic War" symbol. Definitely need more practice, but as this is on the shield and I intend on adding more layers of damage and gore, it will likely not be too visible.

This is the front and rear torso, and legs finished and assembled. I have started on the battle damage on this one (left kneepad) and will continue to add more damage as he is assembled. One of the criticisms I received for the first Tyrannic War Vet was there was not quite enough battle damage, so i will add a fair bit more on this one - but want to do it as he is assembles to ensure I dont go too overboard with it!

Thanks for looking! All comments and criticism is welcome

~Replica

Quad-post!!! - This one is finished!

I've added a streak of thick gore across the shield, hopefully its not too much? Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I'd like to get better at painting the little words on the scroll work, I've seen some people do some really incredible fonts, while im struggling to just get it legible!

I did the 'Tyrannic War' symbol larger on this one, compared to the test mini. I also chose a Space Wolves shoulder pad because I liked the tooth hanging from it, and its understated decoration. I have seen some Tyrannic War vets covered in trophies like entire gaunt heads and the like. I wanted to keep the trophies very mild, a tooth or claw but nothing too far from the strict teachings of the Codex Astartes.

Thanks for looking!All comments and criticism is much appreciated, and thank you all who have commented and liked my posts so far!~

~Replica

Nice work. Always enjoy your posts and forget to reply, sorry about that.

Freehand is looking pretty solid. The blending on the backpack of this last one is top notch as well.

Needs more carnifex skulls though
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Nice work. Always enjoy your posts and forget to reply, sorry about that.

Freehand is looking pretty solid. The blending on the backpack of this last one is top notch as well.

Needs more carnifex skulls though
    Thanks mate! I will be adding some corpses, and toying with the idea of going full diorama, and having actual interactions between models, not too sure yet - planning is not one of my strengths!

Hi all, onto the next one!

Im going to keep doing Tyrannic War vets, ideally I want 10, plus Cassius and maybe a standard bearer. I haven't decided, and I dont like planning too far ahead because it always changes haha.

I intend to use the actual Tyrannic War vets from GW as well as the kit-bashed ones, and as the GW ones are very static poses I am going to make most of the kit-bashed ones running, and fighting. I loved these legs from the Vanguard box - but I had a huge issue with this:

I did a little carving, and sanding. I intended to put some Vallejo plastic putty in the gap and sand it back down, so I wanted to take off a little more material than was necessary:

I used the opportunity to blutac him together and get some pics:

I decided to pose him in such a way that would look cool on his own, or with him interacting with a gaunt if i decide to go the full diorama route.

All C&C welcome!! Thanks for looking!

~Replica