Replica's Build Log - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replica's Build Log

This one has been fun to watch and makes me want to get back to my 6th ed box set before I tuck into my 8th ed set...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

Superb work on the flames guy. I can understand why you'd highlight all the shoulder pads the same regardless of orientation, it certainly doesn't look bad but perhaps when you can push yourself to blend them with the light source from above they'll look even better.

The shapeways stuff looks like a good buy as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can pull out oft he bag on the official Tyrannic vets model.

Great work Replica, turning into a really classy unit. The colouring of the shoulder pads from one direction though does detract a tiny bit from the overall effect, but it's a minor thing. Like the snow bases too.

Top notch, mate! That snow adds a new dimension for sure.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    This one has been fun to watch and makes me want to get back to my 6th ed box set before I tuck into my 8th ed set...
    Thanks mate, I would love to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Superb work on the flames guy. I can understand why you'd highlight all the shoulder pads the same regardless of orientation, it certainly doesn't look bad but perhaps when you can push yourself to blend them with the light source from above they'll look even better.

The shapeways stuff looks like a good buy as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can pull out oft he bag on the official Tyrannic vets model.
    Thanks mate! Yeah, I will have to look at the way the light plays on the pads at different angles, especially when im shading down to near black, its going to cause problems for the more dynamically posed figs.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiarcus View Post
    Great work Replica, turning into a really classy unit. The colouring of the shoulder pads from one direction though does detract a tiny bit from the overall effect, but it's a minor thing. Like the snow bases too.
    Cheers! Yeah, I'm going to need to practice on the pads a bit more I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Top notch, mate! That snow adds a new dimension for sure.
    Thanks Meph, its super easy to do, so thats definitely a plus!

I've started work on an official TW vet and this one is not off to a great start.
    This is my first attempt at painting a 'finecast' model, and now i can really see why this line received the backlash it did. I can deal with the annoying level of prep these models require, sanding, shaving and clipping those near-microscopic braces they put on every overhang. The thing that has made this model a real nightmare is this ugly texture all over it:

I paint using lots of glazes to try to control the blending, so lots of extremely thin coats means this texture shows through on the piece. And thats even after I've put almost twice the number of coats to try to get to a smooth blend. The texture causes tiny pools to form, making the blend very ugly. I have also tried to use the battle damage to cover up particularly badly textured areas, but this has resulted in there being a little more damage on him than I'd have liked.

I'm very tempted to bin this one, and stick with plastics for the whole squad - but, I will finish him. I might learn some way of making it work.

I'm rather embarrassed to show these, but I would really appreciate some opinions. Am I overreacting, or do they look as bad to you as the do to me?

Thanks for looking!

I think he looks fine: the texture does show through in some places but I don't think it's terrible. Last time I did a fine cast model I nearly lost my temper with it too - was a dark period in GW history - but I'd advise finishing him off and then making your choice: you never know what he'll look like next to the others until he's done.

Ah, Finecrap, or Failcast. A love-hate relationship indeed. Compared to early plastics, they had better detail, but oh so much risk of getting a crappy cast. The plastic tech seriously surpassed that bendy resin bastard for sure.
    And yeah, I can imagine that that texture is a nightmare for über-smooth blending, but you could embrace it with weathering?
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

I agree with MEPH you can hide most unwanted things with some weathering weather it's chips and scrapes or taking it even further and haveing rust streakes forming from those chips and scrapes. With these techniques because it's meant to be realistic and grimes most things will work by blending in with them including textures from those annoying finecast models. I mean it looks good but I could see why it would bother you so it's a way of cooling that down. If you don't feel like keeping him with the rest of the group because he would be getting weathered a bit. You can weather the crap out of him as a display model. Or you can bring the rest of theses up to the same weathering as him. Here's a current marine I did just to show how much weathering I use but it's all a sense of personal preference bud Name:  IMG_8894.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  585.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Ah, Finecrap, or Failcast. A love-hate relationship indeed. Compared to early plastics, they had better detail, but oh so much risk of getting a crappy cast. The plastic tech seriously surpassed that bendy resin bastard for sure.
    And yeah, I can imagine that that texture is a nightmare for über-smooth blending, but you could embrace it with weathering?
    Yeah, might have to weather the crap out of him. I can see it being a cool texture for bare metal or something?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    I agree with MEPH you can hide most unwanted things with some weathering weather it's chips and scrapes or taking it even further and haveing rust streakes forming from those chips and scrapes. With these techniques because it's meant to be realistic and grimes most things will work by blending in with them including textures from those annoying finecast models. I mean it looks good but I could see why it would bother you so it's a way of cooling that down. If you don't feel like keeping him with the rest of the group because he would be getting weathered a bit. You can weather the crap out of him as a display model. Or you can bring the rest of theses up to the same weathering as him. Here's a current marine I did just to show how much weathering I use but it's all a sense of personal preference bud
    Sweet Primaris man! Yeah, i might remove him from the squad, and keep the diorama all plastic. I'll keep going with him, and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice!

I've been sick for the last week or so, so apologies for the lateness of this update.

I've been working on this finecast vet, and have decided he will be placed on low priority, and ill keep building plastic marines and decide at the end who makes the cut.

Here is the next plastic chap I've thrown together - I, once again, forgot to get a pic of him all together, but he will be simply firing a bolter.

And I have also made a start on the base, its just cardboard layers and masking tape at this point, then ill add plaster cast rocks, and a layer of filler before spraying, painting and adding snow:

Thanks for taking a look, all C&C welcome!

~Replica

Don't give up so soon! Your tyrannic vet is looking great so far. Rally nice nmm gold and the awful resin texture is barely noticeable, even on a larger-than-life picture.

That said, new plastic marine is looking good as well. You've nailed the reflection highlight down his leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Don't give up so soon! Your tyrannic vet is looking great so far. Rally nice nmm gold and the awful resin texture is barely noticeable, even on a larger-than-life picture.

That said, new plastic marine is looking good as well. You've nailed the reflection highlight down his leg.
    Thanks mate! - I'll probably keep at him slowly, but I'll keep focusing on the plastics. He might end up okay haha!

Sorry for my absence, I've been sick for the past few weeks, nothing serious, but with that combined with work, I've had little to no time.

That said, I have completed this guy:

Not my strongest work, so he may not make it onto the dio. I've started work on another one too, but failed to get a picture haha

Thanks for looking!
    ~Replica