Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Replica's Build Log

  1. #21

    Default

    very nice, your blends and color saturation on the armour are really evolving nicely
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    very nice, your blends and color saturation on the armour are really evolving nicely
    Cheers mate! Each model i finish makes me want to go back and fix the previous ones!

    Tiny bit more progress, this time on the NMM gold on the backpack and weapons.





    I'm happy enough with it at the moment, but in the future I will continue to try to get smoother blends, as i feel in the picture at least, the front of the iron halo almost looks dry-brushed.

    All C&C Welcome!

    ~ Replica

  3. #23
    Cat-herder Extraordinaire Meph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Leuven, Belgium
    Posts
    3,683
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Good stuff all around man. I'm greatly enjoying your colour choices and techniques.

    I'm a big fan of the streak o' gore on the shield, that add a nice story/detail element to the model.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Good stuff all around man. I'm greatly enjoying your colour choices and techniques.

    I'm a big fan of the streak o' gore on the shield, that add a nice story/detail element to the model.
    Thanks mate! I will definitely do some BA's once i get bored of the blue, or the project is finished, whichever is soonest haha

  5. #25

    Default

    Sorry for the double post, this dude is done!











    I am by far my own worst critic and tend to focus on the imperfections and overlook the things that worked well. So I always try to find something i like for everything i dont like. For this one, I like the weathering and the NMM - but I think the white on the helmet, and the black on the bolt pistol are let downs.


    I also took the opportunity to get a group shot to check the uniformity within the squad:



    Thanks for looking - all C&C welcome!

    ~ Replcia
    Last edited by Replica; 07-08-2017 at 05:05 AM.

  6. #26

    Default

    Sorry for the triple post - time for number 4!

    The 4 GW models all have bolters and close combat weapons, so I wanted the squad to have 4 bolters, 4 close combat marines, 1 special weapon and 1 heavy weapon as well as Cassius and possibly a standard bearer (but probably not?)

    For the special weapon, I thought what I'd want if i was fighting nids- flamer.

    This one is from the Mk3 or Mk4 kits:





    I also wanted this dude to have some close combat option, cause unlike the nids, flamer fuel runs out:



    I used the legs from the Deathwatch kit, and the chest is a Mk5 with the UM icon from the upgrade kit slapped on the front. I wasnt sure if it was going to work but was pleased with the outcome.

    All C&C Welcome!

    ~Steve

  7. #27

    Default

    Legs are done - these legs were a real challenge for me, the shapes of the armour is quite different from the normal legs, so i tried to get the shading and highlights correct to really emphasise the shapes.







    Thanks for looking, all C&C welcome!

    ~Replica

  8. #28

    Default

    Cool things around... I like the modifications you are making on these models, it gaves them much more character than the usual "plain" smurfs. (not a fan of 40K here, as you could suspect, hehehe)
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.


  9. #29
    Brushlicker SaintToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,588
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I like the models you're bashing together. These guys are like thousand year old warrior monks, I think they'd have some bric-a-brac. Nice painting, too.

  10. #30

    Default

    These are looking cleaner and smoother each on you do Replica...your a fast worker too. Keep em coming!

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Cool things around... I like the modifications you are making on these models, it gaves them much more character than the usual "plain" smurfs. (not a fan of 40K here, as you could suspect, hehehe)
    Thanks mate! I think thats why i like the Tyrannic War vets, they are something uniquely Ultramarines.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    I like the models you're bashing together. These guys are like thousand year old warrior monks, I think they'd have some bric-a-brac. Nice painting, too.
    Cheers! Yeah, I like them to have a mix of weapons and armour, shows a little bit of character!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    These are looking cleaner and smoother each on you do Replica...your a fast worker too. Keep em coming!
    Cheers mate! I'm constantly learning and watching tutorials, just hope they all look like they are from the same squad when im finished!

    A little more progress on this chap - I tried doing the 'burnt steel' look on the tip of the flamer. I had done it before over metallics and found the metallic paint muted the colours, but when doing it over NMM they looked far too bright. I had to go back over them with a cold grey glaze to bring them back down so that they were noticeable, but more subtle.



    I have also finished up the blue on the Mk3 backpack. I hadn't realised just how different this design was from the normal backpacks, until i started the shading and highlighting process.



    Thanks for looking, all comments and criticism welcome!!

    ~Replica

  12. #32

    Default

    The burnt steel looks awesome, nice work. Backpack is looking up to your usual high standard as well
    error 404: signature not found

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    The burnt steel looks awesome, nice work. Backpack is looking up to your usual high standard as well
    Cheers mate, im quate pleased with the burnt metal effect too. So much so, that ive decided to change the squads heavy weapon from a heavy bolter to a heavy flamer.

    This dude is done!











    I added some yellow lines on the flamer as they have appeared on the chainswords of the other members and i wanted to keep some uniformity. I also painted some red on the flamer, it was looking too flat and boring being all black.

    Vote here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/415355

    All C&C welcome!

    ~Replica

  14. #34
    Cat-herder Extraordinaire Meph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Leuven, Belgium
    Posts
    3,683
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    That dude looks awesome! And that flamer is a joy to look at.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

  15. #35

    Default

    Voted.

    Would you mind if I steal tyrannic war vet as a theme for one of the primaris marines I'm going to be working on soon? Getting a red, green, blue thing going and you gave me the inspiration to try and make the blue one a tyrannic war vet.
    error 404: signature not found

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    That dude looks awesome! And that flamer is a joy to look at.
    Thanks Meph!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Voted.

    Would you mind if I steal tyrannic war vet as a theme for one of the primaris marines I'm going to be working on soon? Getting a red, green, blue thing going and you gave me the inspiration to try and make the blue one a tyrannic war vet.
    Go for it mate! There weren't Primaris during the Tyrannic War though? I heard someone mention 'normal' marines can be made into Primaris, so it might be possible?

    On to the newt guy! This guy is gonna have a heavy flamer.

    I wanted there to be a little movement in the pose, and found these legs in the assault squad kit and thought they looked like they were taking a slow step forward - more akin to re-positioning as opposed to rushing forward.







    The torso and shoulder pads arent too interesting yet, haha. I will be changing the crux terminatus pad out with a Tyrannic War vets shoulder pad from Shapeways.



    And the heavy flamer backpack:



    Thanks for taking the time to have a look, all C&C welcome!

    ~Steve

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replica View Post
    Go for it mate! There weren't Primaris during the Tyrannic War though? I heard someone mention 'normal' marines can be made into Primaris, so it might be possible?
    That's the plan, the guy will have been upgraded. Just a couple of tyrannid trophies and some beat up armour, there aren't any bionic primaris limbs yet.

    You've really mastered the subtle blend on the shoulder pads. I can imagine they're a weird shape to get right.
    error 404: signature not found

  18. #38

    Default

    Looking good Replica, depths of colour range in the blues is lovely and good for you for pushing yourself trying some different weathering approaches.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    That's the plan, the guy will have been upgraded. Just a couple of tyrannid trophies and some beat up armour, there aren't any bionic primaris limbs yet.

    You've really mastered the subtle blend on the shoulder pads. I can imagine they're a weird shape to get right.
    Sweet, looking forward to seeing the Primaris vets!

    Cheers, the shoulder pads are not easy, I've highlighted them all from the same angle instead of the correct angle for the pose, so ive still got a lot of practising to do!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Looking good Replica, depths of colour range in the blues is lovely and good for you for pushing yourself trying some different weathering approaches.
    Thanks mate! I'm having a lot of fun with them!

    Tiny update - the shoulder pads form ShapeWays arrived, so i quickly slapped some paint on one for this chap -



    Thanks for looking!
    ~Replica

  20. #40

    Default

    Thanks mate! Yeah, definitely going to have to put in another Shapeways order! It does have a slight texture, as you can see in the image, so I think I'll experiment with coating it in thinned down vallejo plastic putty. I'll make a push mould of the logo too so i can try to put it on other Mk pads.

    Heavy flamer guy is complete, and I'm pretty pleased with the results:









    All comments and criticism welcome! - If you feel like voting: http://www.coolminiornot.com/415589

    Next up I'll be doing a guy from the boxed set, I was saving them for "when I'm good enough" but, being my own worst critic, I figure I'd better take the plunge!

    I'll be doing this guy, but with a power sword instead of the combat knife:



    Thanks for taking the time to have a look!
    ~Replica

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2016 CMON Inc.

-->