Flaming Tikis WIP and random ramblings spot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaming Tikis WIP and random ramblings spot

Default Flaming Tikis WIP and random ramblings spot

Hey there, thanks for stoppin in. I'm Joe, I'm new. That said I want C&C, that's why I'm posting. Let me have it cause I wanna learn, not here for a "participation award". I've tried my hand at mini painting a few times since the 80's, never this seriously though. I'm in it for "real" now. My hobby is collecting hobbies, so I have a bit of related skills saved up. Add to that I consider myself an artist (specializing in airbrush art). So as a beginner, I may be an "advanced" beginner- I dunno.
    So for my first post, we'll start with the project (among many) that seems to get the bulk of my attention ATM. The Pathfinder Horned Hunter. I've added the spear and the "ribbon" on the bow. Funny, I didn't realize it was a bow until after I added the ribbon. Now I see it as a wind indicator. This pic of him is a mock-up. I thought the blue ribbons would work with blue fabric on the body. I based them but didn't go any further. I think it's a bit overwhelming. I'm going to try some purple instead on some of them. Maybe a green or yellow, yellow seems like it may be hard on top of the blue base, we'll see. His weaponry is still unattached so it shouldn't be too tough.
    Name:  P1090124 adj.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  78.3 KBName:  P1090098.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  1.49 MB

so far so good. in terms of comments and criticism, it's all going to depend on what kind of modeller you want to be; tabletop quality, display quality, etc. I'm sure you have been able to see the range of painters here, from superstars to beginners, and all improving.

I think your horned hunter looks pretty good for a start. you have painted depth in shadows and lightlights, looks like you have painted non metallic metal, and your wood grains look decent. It's certainly a great place to begin. The one criticism i'd give is with the ribbons. Very cool idea and is a colourful addition to an otherwise bland coloured model (its all the browns, not a dig against your painting), but they all seem to be going in different directions. Up on the hill, by the tree, I would imagine it would be windy, but more in one direction. Use the lean of your tree as a guide.

Keep it up. Looking forward to your next update.

Welcome to the mad house
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Welcome mate, definitely a great place to learn. Love the scene,looks deadly.

test
    test
    testy
    I don't get it, I posted earlier, told me it was pending approval. Never showed, now I can post?
    well. it's hot. I"m jumping in the pool. I'll repost in a bit.
    Last edited by Flaming Tiki; 06-24-2017 at 10:32 PM.

K, I'm going to assume that my troubles posting are operator error. I'll get this right because I really want to be a part of this community. So here we go:
    This is more or less where "the Horned Hunter" and his base are at. Dude is about ready to be mounted to the base. I may put a bit more time into his belt piece, it's sloppy work now. The base has wet resin on it ATM. I don't plan on a dramatic water effect, but if any is still left on the once dried (it's oozing out), it should look cool.
    Name:  P1090189 adj.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  124.3 KBName:  P1090188 adj.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  121.8 KBName:  P1090187 adj.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  112.5 KBName:  P1090180 adj.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  92.0 KBName:  P1090181 adj.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  121.8 KBName:  P1090179 adj.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  132.1 KB

You have some nice things going on. As you get your blends smoother, you will really be kicking butt.

• if this works I'll edit, I guess

Well I've been having troubles getting my posts through.
    SMH. I had said so much before about these projects. Fighting the CPU/ this webpage, etc. has taken all the wind out of my sails Here's my projects ATM.
    Wizkids Griffon. I added some green stuff to convert the rear into a snow cat. Airbrushed base coat.

• P1090248 adj combo.jpg (422.8 KB)

Bronze Age Miniatures 32BAR8, done!

• P1090213 combo.jpg (87.6 KB)

Hero Forge 3d print of my design, Stag Berserker. Real happy w/HF. The prep work/sanding was less work than removing mold lines.

• P1090253.JPG (88.9 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Flaming Tiki; 07-01-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Hi there, quick post to report on last nights progression. I had planned on just throwing down some base colors. Got a bit carried away and worked it up a bit more than that.
    Name:  P1090260  adj.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  89.5 KBName:  P1090261 adj.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  89.2 KB

Nice work Tiki. Good work bringing in the deer hide pattern. I'm excited to see where this thread goes

Just about done with this guy. A few touch ups left here and there. And maybe a larger photo booth. Pretty excited to call this done soon.
    Name:  P1090308 rsz.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  271.9 KBName:  P1090300 crp adj.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  96.6 KB

Really nice scene
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I like the reds in the underside of the tree canopy. Overall a nice vignette.

Just a quick update to include my "other" projects. What, more? Why? Well because.....did you see that dog catch that frisbee? I need to have a few projects going so that when I get distracted, chances will be good the distraction is just onto another fig, or base...hopefully.
    With that in mind, in no particular order:
    Captain America, Marvel 500 blind bag. I'm using this to work on my blends. And having fun.
    Name:  P1090312.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  107.2 KBName:  P1090310.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  75.6 KBName:  P1090314.JPG
Size:  96.0 KB
    The Stag Berserker, Hero Forge. Pants! Still need to clean em up, but the stripes are a go in my book.
    Name:  pants.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  82.0 KB
    Kristiana, Female Paladin, Reaper Bones. This my NMM practice piece. Gold is just based in for reference. Not happy with just about any of this. Being a Bones fig I'm having trouble with the lack of "sharp"detail. Still, my NMM is the weak link, not the fig. I'll get it though. I'm happy with my gold process so I'm really trying to get the silver/steel first. There is so much paint on this gal from my constant revaluations and reworks. Whatevs, practice.
    Name:  P1090317.JPG
Size:  104.0 KBName:  P1090318.JPG
Size:  84.6 KB
    And a base for my Wizkids Griffon.
    Name:  P1090323.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  149.2 KB

Just bouncin between them all and enjoying the process.
    Thanks for stoppin in. C&C always much appreciated.
    -Joe

Well I've been a slacker in regards to this thread. Not that many would notice, lol.
    First up is little lack o detail Bones girl. Not sure if I've dragged her kicking and screaming or if she has dragged me. I have been forcing myself to finish her as I don't want to get in the habit of walking away due to frustration. Getting close to finishing her up now, another session maybe. And actually developing a bit of a liking to her even. Just a bit.
    Name:  P1090374.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  68.3 KBName:  P1090375.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  60.0 KBName:  P1090376.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  57.2 KB
    I decided that the Bones character had a base that was above her deserving. I decided to start this gal to go with it. She is Reaper DH Legends Shaern, Female Antipaladin. Pretty happy with the progress so far. Really looking forward to getting on the NMM, and that blade! Any ideas about the "decoration" on front of her skirt? I just can't figure out what it is!
    Name:  P1090361.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  209.5 KBName:  P1090362.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  121.0 KBName:  P1090365.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  95.0 KB

Speaking of basing.... This has taken up all my hobby time today. I have no fig planned for it. Found some dollhouse molding and well you know, distracted. I plan on casting this in resin before adding any more to it. My mold making and casting experience has been primarily with plastic and metal parts. Should I prime/paint it first? Maybe with something glossy? Really would love some input here, don't wanna botch it up. Thanks
    Name:  P1090383.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  148.4 KB
    As always thanks for layin yer peepers here
    Joe
    Last edited by Flaming Tiki; 07-27-2017 at 03:51 AM.

I really like all the great basework you've done for your figures.
    On the beautifully constructed pedestal, you might want to try to build up some heavier 'rocks' towards the bottoms of the depressions, where they would naturally collect. I find that details like that tend to be where the sense of scale is often lost. Keep up the good work.

Thanks St Toad. I tried to keep that in mind, I think they show now that it's in primer. I don't want to get too carried away as I plan to mold/cast it and want to leave options open for the future- logs, water, snow, who knows what? After the last post I was like."duh! Of course you need to primer it, how else can I tell if my seams are right." SMH. I used Aclad primer, leftover from my model car run. Great stuff. Once it's all sanded down I may just hit it with some clear gloss (alclad as well) before making a mold.
    Name:  P1090386 lightroom.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  380.2 KB

So the plinth base is under silicone mold, For at least 18 hours! Man, I hate waiting. My pre-molding thought process was something like this: Well I should prime it to check for and fill in any small imperfections. I should seal the primer and end up with a glossy finish to ease the molding release. Then I didn't want my dryish primer to suck up my clear and give me a strange reaction, so paint in between. Well, after painting it with my airbrush and some Createx paints I had way too much time left. I gave it a few colors in gradients and "spit-rubbed" it lightly. I added a couple washes from Army Painter up top, Then a bit of drybrushing with VMC off white/bonewhite. Then the Alclad gloss Klear Kote. With that distraction quelled for a bit I can get back to painting!
    !Name:  P1090388.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  162.6 KBName:  P1090390.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  137.0 KB

Progress report time. The good news first.
    I finished up the Bones figure that I've bi**hed and moaned about so much. She actually came out "acceptable", maybe even all-right, Okay, I'm a lot happier with her done than I was before. I learned a lot about nmm, looking forward to more.
    Name:  P1090402.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  145.4 KBName:  P1090401.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  112.0 KBName:  P1090399.JPG
Size:  157.8 KBName:  P1090407.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  98.2 KBName:  P1090409.JPG
Size:  111.0 KB
    As for the plinth, LOL!!!!!!!!!. First mold was a disaster! When Alumalite's instructions say to use the product within a year from purchase, I guess they mean it. I had to clean it all off after not setting at all after 36 hrs. What a pain, I figured IPA would be the least aggressive solvent I had. It worked, just took my paint with it. Not too big a deal really. Once it was clean I added a top layer of my tea leave mix and reprimed. Buffed out the primer and put it in a new silicone pond. Then, a good half hour later, my mold box started to leak! I scooped up what I could, and put it right back in. I also went crazy with the hot glue. I think I'm gonna be okay. There's rubber from three different jars in there, fingers crossed.
    I've been quietly plugging away at another base as well. It's in the mold pond as well, this time because I made a flexible piece of molding for it and just couldn't see painting it and leaving it on a finished project- all soft and rubbery. Once I cast it in resin it'll be easier to "fix up" as well. This one has an immediate purpose though. Starting a new project that I'm pretty stoked with-pics soon.
    That's about all that's new ATM. Been spending a bunch of time looking through other peoples WIPs (from the beginning), a whole of info to put into action.
    Thanks for coming by, see you again soon.
    Joe
    Last edited by Flaming Tiki; 07-31-2017 at 08:47 AM.

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

This is the one eating up all my spare imagination ATM. It started with the top (ground) piece. I rolled a ring that I've had laying about for years into some clay and poured in some Smooth Cast 300. I liked it and so- the base journey began and a choice of fig from my stash found Anirion, Wood Elf to be compatible. I took some dollhouse crown molding and pressed that into clay as well, Poured some Alumalite Quick setting mold material and viola, flexible molding! I wrapped the molding around a medicine bottle (threads cut off) and cut a "v" into the front. Then I added chunks of balsa foam, and roughly carved 'em up. I followed with epoxy clay (Magic Sculpt), then watered down PVA. Primed and then buffed and made a mold. Cast it and sanded the top smooth. I finally attached the ground to the top (sounds weird, no?).
    Next a bit of green stuff here and there, some attention to the plinth part. Then I can move on to start painting. Would like to see another project or two finish up before I get too deep into this one as I can tell It's gonna turn into that "snowball heading down the hill". I can't wait!
    Name:  P1090392.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  109.0 KBName:  P1090415.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  184.0 KBName:  P1090414.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  144.0 KBName:  P1090413.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  126.1 KB
    What a chunk o resin!

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci