Flaming Tikis WIP and random ramblings spot

Thread: Flaming Tikis WIP and random ramblings spot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flaming Tikis WIP and random ramblings spot

Hey there, thanks for stoppin in. I'm Joe, I'm new. That said I want C&C, that's why I'm posting. Let me have it cause I wanna learn, not here for a "participation award". I've tried my hand at mini painting a few times since the 80's, never this seriously though. I'm in it for "real" now. My hobby is collecting hobbies, so I have a bit of related skills saved up. Add to that I consider myself an artist (specializing in airbrush art). So as a beginner, I may be an "advanced" beginner- I dunno.
    So for my first post, we'll start with the project (among many) that seems to get the bulk of my attention ATM. The Pathfinder Horned Hunter. I've added the spear and the "ribbon" on the bow. Funny, I didn't realize it was a bow until after I added the ribbon. Now I see it as a wind indicator. This pic of him is a mock-up. I thought the blue ribbons would work with blue fabric on the body. I based them but didn't go any further. I think it's a bit overwhelming. I'm going to try some purple instead on some of them. Maybe a green or yellow, yellow seems like it may be hard on top of the blue base, we'll see. His weaponry is still unattached so it shouldn't be too tough.
    Name:  P1090124 adj.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  78.3 KBName:  P1090098.JPG
Views: 526
Size:  1.49 MB

so far so good. in terms of comments and criticism, it's all going to depend on what kind of modeller you want to be; tabletop quality, display quality, etc. I'm sure you have been able to see the range of painters here, from superstars to beginners, and all improving.

I think your horned hunter looks pretty good for a start. you have painted depth in shadows and lightlights, looks like you have painted non metallic metal, and your wood grains look decent. It's certainly a great place to begin. The one criticism i'd give is with the ribbons. Very cool idea and is a colourful addition to an otherwise bland coloured model (its all the browns, not a dig against your painting), but they all seem to be going in different directions. Up on the hill, by the tree, I would imagine it would be windy, but more in one direction. Use the lean of your tree as a guide.

Keep it up. Looking forward to your next update.

Welcome to the mad house
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Welcome mate, definitely a great place to learn. Love the scene,looks deadly.

test
    test
    testy
    I don't get it, I posted earlier, told me it was pending approval. Never showed, now I can post?
    well. it's hot. I"m jumping in the pool. I'll repost in a bit.
    Last edited by Flaming Tiki; 06-24-2017 at 10:32 PM.

K, I'm going to assume that my troubles posting are operator error. I'll get this right because I really want to be a part of this community. So here we go:
    This is more or less where "the Horned Hunter" and his base are at. Dude is about ready to be mounted to the base. I may put a bit more time into his belt piece, it's sloppy work now. The base has wet resin on it ATM. I don't plan on a dramatic water effect, but if any is still left on the once dried (it's oozing out), it should look cool.
    Name:  P1090189 adj.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  124.3 KBName:  P1090188 adj.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  121.8 KBName:  P1090187 adj.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  112.5 KBName:  P1090180 adj.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  92.0 KBName:  P1090181 adj.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  121.8 KBName:  P1090179 adj.jpg
Views: 465