Custodian project

Thread: Custodian project

Default Custodian project

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum, and since i am french, could you please excuse my average english. I am there to have some advises on my painting level. I came back to hobby after 15 years off, and am planning to make a for sale army of these little guys :

Name:  IMG_20170723_100302.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  1.23 MB
    These doods are not finished, and are my test minis, some repaints here and there and a lot of research for effective colors.

I used Enamel gold color after a lot of airbrush test with vallejo, gw, acrylics. I used vallejo acrylics for most parts, and oil wash. I didn't take the time to make good gems, but it's only a question of time.

Any advise is welcome, the goal is , first of all, to improve !
    Thank you

Welcome to the bunch!

Seems you're of to a great start imo.
    personally, I prefer the more discrete highlights on the custodian to the right in the picture over the middle guy, but that's down to personal preference.
    Really great colour choices as well, they reallly get some "pop" into the models

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forums!

Looks like a good squad, especially if it's going for sale. I personally agree with lateyourbananas in preferring the more subtle highlights on the right most marine over the centre one.

Either way, looking forward to seeing more.

Well, that's encouraging, i will smooth highlights, make gems and add more photos so that you can have a better idea of what is missing. The idea for me is to have effective minis, clean, and not super deeper long to finish, these test minis are countless hours but with a finalized "recipe" it should be fine !

Welcome to the forum. i like the purple and gold scheme.

Here is another one I've been working on last few days, since the model was in very bad condition ( second hand ) i am kinda happy with the result. This absolute badass is waiting for two more jetbikes to join him. It was my first time working on large zone with gold and purple, i found a good way to contrast by airbrushing some thinned brown on gold. Purple gave me more problems , i was too shy with preshading, i won't do the same mistake with future vehicles. It needs again some correction before to be fully finished but it gives a good general idea of the work. More to come soon !
    Name:  IMG_20170727_141010.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  1.03 MBName:  IMG_20170727_140921.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  1.06 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Maelitos; 07-27-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Jetbike looks superb. The gradient on the purple is nice and the clouds are awesome.
    The custodian doesn't look quite as neat as the previous ones you've done. Is it the resin, or picture quality (or just me)?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Jetbike looks superb. The gradient on the purple is nice and the clouds are awesome.
    The custodian doesn't look quite as neat as the previous ones you've done. Is it the resin, or picture quality (or just me)?
    Well, it is a bit because of the resin, torso was in a really bad shape, i wanted to replace it by a plastic one, but they are not the same and it would have needed a lot of work i didn't want to do. I oil washed a lot more to hide this...
    Thanks for clouds , i was laughing doing this and thinking about how proud this guy would be going into battle with his custom bike. But i erased this : i painted this at my own taste, custodian are super kitsch in my opinion, a bit like saint seiya, flowers and clouds and shiny stars etc. But then i remembered it was for sale , so, i unfortunately need something more neutral. i am considering others freehands like celtic pattern , trees, or a stylized eagle. I have 3 jetbikes so it should be a lot of fun.
    Does anyone knows how you resize a photo before to post ?

Great work! Love your color scheme, fit well with custodian!

About resize photo, http://www.picresize.com, very easy to use and do a great job.

Let me introduce you this proud jetbiker sergeant, took a looot of time to, first have an idea of what to do, and second, to do !! Here is a febrile attempt to freehand, symmetry is not an easy thing to do. I accidentally broke the upper part of the left side of the bike, my greenstuff fixing is a shame, when you see the model in fornt of you it is not as obvious as on a picture. Any advise welcome !

Name:  IMG_20170731_112119 (1).jpg
Views: 111
Size:  1.01 MBName:  IMG_20170731_112131.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  1.15 MBName:  IMG_20170731_112053.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  1.19 MB

Looking good....when did the GW jet bike aesthetic change to a Buck Rogers phallic inspired design though?

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Looking good....when did the GW jet bike aesthetic change to a Buck Rogers phallic inspired design though?
    These are Forge World Legio Custodes jet bike if I'm not wrong

Nice color choices a good balance to the gold color. Keep up the good work.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.