Thread: Best Spray Varnish for Finishing?

Default Best Spray Varnish for Finishing?

Hey everyone. Simple question really; What's your favorite spray varnish for finishing models intended for play (and why)? For a long while I've been using GW satin finish spray, but only because it's what I have (and it's running out!). Would you recommend something else?

Thanks a lot.

I use testors DullCote on almost all models, with occasional applications of satin or gloss acrylic on gems, water effects, etc. I once thought I needed to gloss coat first, for protection, but have stopped doing so. Dull cote is as tough as anything else, and the primer is the key to chip-resistance anyway.

I don't mess around when it comes to varnishing figures for play (but then I have 2 kids).
    2 coats of tamiya gloss varnish with 12 hours each then a final coat of taimya matt to kill the shine. So far so good

model masters through the airbrush or testors dulcote from the can
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by mjs101 View Post
    I use testors DullCote on almost all models, with occasional applications of satin or gloss acrylic on gems, water effects, etc. I once thought I needed to gloss coat first, for protection, but have stopped doing so. Dull cote is as tough as anything else, and the primer is the key to chip-resistance anyway.
    I concur testors is the best
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Seems to be a lot of support for Testors Dullcote. Lucky for me I am UK based so it's a simple matter to obtain. I'll order a tin =)

Thanks very much everyone

Newbie, please be gentle draekus's Avatar

Testor's Dullcote ftw. Its expensive but there's a reason why.

I have also used Vallejo matt varnish and Vallejo Metal Gloss Varnish through my airbrush. Both are good for a very controlled application. But again, Testor's dullcote out of a can is still the best matt varnish.

Even though I'm one of those idiots who buys a varnish for every brand paint I use (can't be bothered with cross brand problems) I always use Dullcote as my final once everything else is finished. Had one bad can but apart from that I can't think of anything that rivals it.