Making roman inspired mosaic bases?

Thread: Making roman inspired mosaic bases?

Default Making roman inspired mosaic bases?

Question i am playing with the idea of some point in time just for fun trying make some Cathedral gaming bases, meaning basing them off ancient roman mosaics the kind you would find in Pompei (it would mostly just be faces and not larger scenes).
    My question is if you where to make them how would you go about it, i could imagine perhaps taking some miliput and roll it out so that it´s really flat and then start breaking it into tiny pieces and glue them on to the base and then use liquid green stuff (because every time i try to make liquid milliput i can´t get it to become a paste and just end up with some colored water and slightly sticky piece of miliput) in the cracks.
    Ending with going over with a brush on each of the individual pieces and paint them.

But i don´t know this might be extremely inefficient for an end result, that would be just as good if i used eggshells or just painted it on.

So how would you go about creating a mosaic base??

I think I'd go with miliput or green stuff, roll it to flatten it then directly applying it to the base then with a tool, I would engrave the miliput/GS to create my mosaic. That way you would have a complete layer of miliput/GS on your base making your mosaic but without the pain to cut each part then glue them your base (I have patience but I think cutting each piece of mosaic then glue them on would drive me nut).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirr View Post
    I think I'd go with miliput or green stuff, roll it to flatten it then directly applying it to the base then with a tool, I would engrave the miliput/GS to create my mosaic. That way you would have a complete layer of miliput/GS on your base making your mosaic but without the pain to cut each part then glue them your base (I have patience but I think cutting each piece of mosaic then glue them on would drive me nut).
    That seems the better way to go since miliput isn't breakable in a controlled enough manner to get the shape you want. There are some resin bases which come pre detailed with mosaics, I can't remember the company but I saw them a few weeks back. Would probably be the best option if you're wanting them for an army.
    Stream
    Blog
    Current project : Ocean themed 40k Chaos

Secret Weapons website has a few sort of what you are looking for, but they are technically stone pavers, but you could probably paint them up to give them a more mosaic look like you are going for: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.co...roducts_id=525

Quote Originally Posted by Erikjust View Post
    So how would you go about creating a mosaic base??
    If I really wanted to go to town, I'd look to the local hobby store an hit up the beading section, going for the smallest beads possible.
    Time consuming, yes it would be, but the end result would be exactly what you want.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

These are the smallest I could find online, but they might be a little too big (3x3mm) unless you are making a custom base (or using a larger base, than a 20mm or so, to put the figure on: http://tinytilemosaics.com/