Curis' WIP Wipe - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Curis' WIP Wipe

Thanks Foxtail. I find old GW minis much more fun to paint thatn the modern offering on account of their size, and them being largely one-piece castings. You can fire through a few of them in the same time as a modern up-scaled multi-part over-detailed piece.

Thanks Maenas! I think minis need to be approached in a tongue-in-cheek way as they're inherently ridiculous.

Cheers Guawol. I might resculpt some of the next Horrors' faces I do just to get some variation in their manically happy expressions.

As names for ranges go, “Blandford Warriors” is a little … underwhelming. Rather than conjuring up images of medieval warlords on their bloodthirsty rampages it puts me instantly in mind of the sleepy Dorset village – Blandford. Blandford’s top tourist attraction is a museum with a diorama of the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford. Blandford is a bland name. A dull name. A boring name. This feeling of deep ennui also manifests in the pose of the second miniature I’ve painted – Alan Horseman.

“This spear has a point. Unlike my life. Sigh”

Even the name, Alan Horseman, oozes boredom. It’s one of those historical terms, like “Norman Shields”, that doubles as the personal name of a twenty-first century dullard. I imagine it painted on the side of a white van – “Alan Horseman Electrical Contractor”. Of course, the Alans were a tribe of fierce warrior horsemen instrumental in the defeat of Atilla the Hun. Here’s the Angus McBride colour plate from Medieval Warlords of this Alan getting around on his horse and not a Ford Transit

Alan Horseman of Orleans, on the orders of Aetius, clashes with bacudae on an estate in eastern Brittany, 440s. Sigh.

Coincidentally the colours Angus chose and I copied match my Late Roman Comitatenses – so I can roll Alan in to that collection. Late Imperial Roman armies relied heavily on barbarian troops (foederati) such as the Alans as their military manpower dwindled in the 4th and 5th centuries. Flavius Aetius let the Alans, originally from North Caucasus, settle in parts of Ancient France in return for providing fighters. It was a clever policy for Rome as it motivated the tribe to fight not out of abstract loyalty to Rome, but in defence of their newly-acquired land and accompanying wealth.

Late Imperial Romans forming a shield wall in the ruins of the partially demolished Epiacum. Sigh.

The walls in the above shot are from the excellent Fogou Models, more focus on them in a future blog post!
    My miniatures blog: www.ninjabread.co.uk

Oops, testing paint stripper and it ended up melting a plastic Chaos Warrior.

Last edited by Curis; 05-17-2018 at 09:01 AM.

At the start of the year me and my mates realised we were all keen on painting Titans, and March of the Titans was born – paint any Titan at any scale by the end of Mars’ month. I fancied rewinding time to 1989 when Warhound Titans first appeared in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and painting one in the seminal War Griffons colours.

The original advertisement for Codex Titanicus in White Dwarf 116.

I’ve been the proud owner of a secondhand 40K scale Armorcast Warhound Titan for years now, and it was the perfect excuse to repair and repaint him. Here it is with the previous owner’s, frankly terrifying paintjob.

The Chaos Titan Sclera Morphiosa ready to stare down opponents.

Several baths in various chemicals melted away the thick paint, revealing the bare naked resin. I prised away the putty embellishments like the Chaos Star forehead and the odd groin-face, thankful that these were additions made without damaging the original model. Evenings were spent refilling casting bubbles, reshaping with car body resin, sanding and preparing the kit for a glorious War Griffons paintjob. I bought greenstuff rollers and brass wire to do some extra greebling, and planned designs for the legio’s banners.

Reconsecrated for Imperial service.

Only now the March deadline was looming. And I’d never painted a kit this size before – the biggest things I’d painted recently were a couple of small Blood Angels vehicles in 2015, and vehicles are not my strongpoint. Excitement had turned to dread as the remaining timeframe meant the paintjob would have to be chronically rushed.

Fuuuuuuu…

And so I changed tack. I paused the 40K scale Titan and painted an Epic scale one in the same scheme. I could lie to you and say it was a deliberate move to practise the colour scheme and study the challenges of painting its 40K scale counterpart, and the matching weapon options back me up. But it wasn’t. It was a cop out. A tactic to avoid getting bullied by the likes of Asslessman and Rochie who had already finished their March of the Titans offerings.

Introducing Improcerus Compromissum, with Vulcan Mega-Bolter and Turbo-Laser Destructor.

I spent a while squinting at the original Wayne England illustration, trying to work out what the dappled grey pattern on the carapace was. Was it WW2 German dapple camoflague? Was it an attempt to emulate the airbrushed textures of H. R. Giger? Was it depicting a beaten metal texture as opposed to the trimming’s chrome? Was it the artist trying to give a sense of immense scale? Twitter consensus was that it was a dapple texture, so I painted and highlighted a series of blobs on the carapace. I refined the technique as I worked around the Titan – you can see the inside of the Titan’s right leg in the photo above being different to the other areas.

I’m dead chuffed with the freehand Legio Gryphonicus devices on the banner and the calf.

I interpreted the golden yellow areas as actual gold, rather than matt yellow (as Rochie has on his Legio Gryphonicus). I’m unsure if this was the right decision, and I might switch it to yellow for the Armorcast one. Yellow is much bolder than gold, and would give the Titan a much more toyriffic vibe that’s completely in keeping with the goofy anthropomorphised animal design. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Improcerus Compromissum supported by the 2210th Imperial Navy Fighter Wing and Dark Angel Space Marines.

Check out Asslessman’s Warlord here. And you can check out Rochie’s Warlord here, which is accompanied by a Warhound from the War Gryphons just like mine.

Stay tuned to Ninjabread for the completion of the 40K scale Armorcast counterpart.

Working on some vintage Rogue Trader Space Marines for a Battle at the Farm game!

I like to think of Light Wizards as jobbing professionals and their Acolytes as bumbling apprentices. Here's a bumble of Light Acolytes – one of the obscurest units in Warhammer of editions past.

Left to right: Donkor, Aswad, Llam-Cheops, Wiss Qeb, Khontar and Wankh.

Two poses of Acolyte were released in April 1993 alongside the Light Wizard on foot. Empire player could buy them in units of five at 25 points to accompany a Light Wizard. Rules were that if you deployed the five Acolytes in a pyramid formation (Light Wizards being all Egpytian and therefore pyramid-themed) with the Light Wizard at the apex you got an extra Winds of Magic card. Now, I read "deployed in pyramid formation" and think this:

NAILED IT. One bonus Winds of Magic please.

But no, they didn't mean human pyramid formation, they mean 2-D triangle formation, as you can see in the iconic Gathering of Might battle report photo below from White Dwarf 181 (1995). This unit in this battle report puzzled child-Curis as Warhammer Armies: The Empire didn't contain any rules for it – it's only now in 2018 that I know they had to be conjured up from the pages of the Warhammer Battle Magic supplement.

Spot the pyramid.

The majority of my Light Acolytes had been rescued from someone that got halfway to converting them into Necromunda gangers or Warhammer 40,000 cultists – their hands and weapons had been hacked away and replaced with autopistols, stubguns and the like. This meant there was no guilt at despoiling vintage miniatures for the sake of bringing their weaponry in line with the rules of the modern Warhammer game.

Lazuli spearheading the official and far less silly pyramid formation.

Yes! Modern Warhammer! (As if the 32mm rounds bases weren't enough of a clue.) These figures have been specifically modelled as Kairic Acolytes for Silver Tower: two with hand weapon and shield, two with double-handed weapons and two with pairs of hand weapons.

I originally restored the Acolytes back to Warhammer Fantasy with contemporaneous 1990s Citadel weaponry, but it looked bad. There was no Egyptian weaponry (it wasn't until 2003 that the Tomb Kings range appeared), and so I suspended my Citadel-components-only rule and bought some WarGods of Ægyptus bits from Crocodile Games. This does annoy the Citadel purist in me, and to get back to sleep I tell myself Crocodile's Chris Fitzpatrick did a stint sculpting for Games Workshop.

Silver Tower madness at Knavecon 2018. Pat, Bruce, cheetor and yours truly looming over our various creations.

To get even more gaming use out of the figures I'd like to paint another three to make a full official Warscroll for Warhammer Age of Sigmar. I've also got plans for them in a series of summer Mordheim games, where they'll be fielded as Brethren in a Possessed Warband. Watch this space!

More of my miniatures at: http://www.ninjabread.co.uk

Insane level of knowledge of Oldhammer Curis, and some beautifully painted minis to go along with it. Always enjoy following your thread

Thanks Foxtail!

I've got a small force of Crimson Fists ammassing with loads of vintage lead at the moment.

Planned a 1000 points list for these lumps to get done. Wish me luck!

English commander Sir John Chandos and French commander Bertrand du Guesclin.

I like how different the miniatures are to each other. Chandos is depicted as a classic knight in shining armour, with his “sharp pile gules” (a medieval way of saying “upside down red triangle”) heraldry sculpted onto both his tabard and shield. His chainmail coif and fine moustache mark him out as a gentleman. In contrast, du Guesclin with his black Breton eagle is a scruffy bugger with his bare head and loose-fitting straps. Du Guesclin was a low-born brawler who started his career as a marauder, ambushing people in the forests of Brittany. His equipment was reputedly in such poor condition he was sometimes mistaken for a common brigrand rather than a knight. When the pair first met, Chandos lent du Guesclin his own armour and horse, as du Guesclin’s own kit wasn’t nice enough to be seen duelling in.

Bertand du Guesclin and his retainers surprising men-at-arms of Sir High Calverly on the road to Montmuran, Brittany, 1354.

The two men clashed on opposing sides of the Battle of Auray in 1364. The French were defeated, and du Guesclin taken prisoner by Chandos. France quickly paid his 40,000 florins ransom as they were keen for him to command an expedition to assist in the Castilian Civil War. Guesclin invited Chandos along with him to Castile, a sign the two men had grown into friends, though Chandos declined.

Sir John Chandos is harassed by Moorish genitors in the army of Henry Castile at the battle of Nájera, northern Spain, 1367.

The pair also fought on opposing sides at the Battle of Nájera in 1367. Again the French were defeated and again du Guesclin was taken prisoner by Chandos. Again France were eager to have him back and paid a massive 100,000 francs.

Chandos and du Guesclin in the crumbling Burgundian ruins of Grenoble.

The walls of Grenoble in the picture above are from an upcoming Kickstarter from Fogou Models. I’ve been gifted a set to paint ahead of the campaign, and they’ve been an absolute joy to drybrush and weather up. Expect to see a lot more photographs of them in the future.

Left to right: Biscuit Dude, Alan Horseman, Bertand du Guesclin and Sir John Chandos.

That’s one third of the Blandford Warriors painted now! I’m hoping to get all twelve finished for Bring out Your Lead in August – they were last year’s reissue and want to buy this year’s without any lead-guilt. Next up, we’ll be going in to the Hussite Wars.

Started to stockpile classic 1980s Bob Naismith Dark Elves for an upcoming army project. Hoping to start it come Christmas, after all the Silver Tower bits are done.

With a Strontium Dogs game on the horizon from Warlord Games, my mind is all a-flutter with 2000AD miniatures. Games Workshop had the licence in the 1980s and put out a sweet range of figures just before creating the iconic Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader, and this is the first release in that range – Judge Dredd himself.

“Taking photographs of a judge on a blue fade background – that’s five years in an iso-cube, creep.”

Fascinatingly a number of 2000AD figures were recycled into the nascent Warhammer 40,000 range. Figures either had their parts cannibalised (like Traitor General‘s head reappearing as an Imperial Inquisitor’s), or were simply rereleased with new names (like Slaughter Margin “Mek” and Mega Hound becoming Imperial Assault Trooper and Robo-Dog).

“Rotating a judge on a blue fade background – that’s fifteen years in an iso-cube, creep.”

I went for blue and an NMM yellow on the uniform instead of black and gold to emphasise the comic book nature of Dredd. The figure was an experiment but I’m really pleased with how he turned out and will happily roll the colour scheme out to the rest of my Justice Department miniatures.

Dredd guarding N20 canisters – bet that’s a … barrel of laughs.

The chemical barrels and wooden pallets are advance castings from the excellent Fogou Models – they should feature in a Kickstarter soon. While Asslessman and axiom have taken the approach of simply drybrushing and weathering their advance castings, I’ve went utterly overboard with biohazard symbols and other freehand.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Warhol.

As well as more judges, I fancy painting a gang of the classic 2000AD alien mercenarys – Kleggs – for a Necromunda campaign. Or Rogue Stars games. Watch this space!

Finally collected together enough of the old licensed Games Worskhop D&D Goblins to be able to run the Lost Mine of Phandelver scenario from teh starter set.

Always a pleasure checking out your thread
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Just found your thread. I can't wait to go back and read all the lore you've shared about these cool old models.

And the Campbell's Soup can is great! A tribute to one of Pittsburgh's most famous sons!

Haha! I'll visit the Warhol Museum in Pittburgh if I ever go there.

Cheers Mark! Cheers Phil!

Breazer – I love having these figures as a starting point for digging up some history. There’s a load of research rabbit holes to disappear down with each new one.

If you’re into Czech action cinema you might already know Jan Žižka as the titular hero of the upcoming Jan Žižka film from director Petr Jákl – the man famous for films such as Pterodactyl and Born Into Shit. If you’re not, lemme walk you through this trio of classic 1988 Citadel Miniatures.

Left to right: Taborite Infantryman, Jan Žižka and Teutonic Knight.

Who are these miniatures? Welcome to my history lesson. A wise man once said, “Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.” And I don’t want you, dear reader, to be doomed to fighting in a series of 15th century Eastern European wars.

[hr]

Teutonic Knight (1412)

The Teutonic Knight was, for many years, the Holy Grail for Blandford Warrior collectors. Wargames Foundry had quietly reissued the other eleven Blandford Warriors across a couple of blister packs, making Teutonic Knight the rarest. Luckily they brought him back in to production at Bring Out Your Lead 2017, so we johnny-come-latelies can be completists.

A literal white knight.

Teutonic knight attacked by Lithuanian horse-archers at the Battle of Tannenberg, 1410.

At the start of the 15th century the Teutonic Grand Order had turned its crusading ire on the Baltic peoples, and invaded Greater Poland. Against these Catholic invaders the Kingdom of Poland allied with the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and crushed them at the Battle of Tannenburg in 1410. A certain man was (probably) at that battle, and (maybe) got his left eye stabbed out of his face by the knights. This man was …

[hr]

Jan Žižka

The cover star of the Medieval Warlords book. The Medieval Warlord. Angus McBride paints two colour pictures of him while medieval warlord Gaiseric, with his own whole chapter, gets none! Jan Žižka is sculpted as he would have appeared in 1423, after he lost his right eye to an arrow while besieging the castle of Rábí, and holding the famous fist-shaped mace he used in battle despite being totally blind.

“No one’s ever really disabled so long as he has courage.” – Chip Chase

Jan Žižka enters Prague with his Orebite Warriors, 1421.

Jan Žižka was one of the greatest military leaders of all time. He was never defeated in battle. He invented the war wagon – the earliest form of tank warfare. He stood against the power of the Catholic Church and served as an inspiration for the Reformation a century later. After he died he asked to be flayed and have his skin used as a drum so he could continue to lead his followers into battle. What more can a man achieve in his life? (Fighting a Pterodactlyl?)
    Dirty advertisement. Ninjabread continues below.

Who did Jan Žižka lead into battle? It was people like…

[hr]

Taborite Infantryman

The Pope as the antichrist, attended by a large number of whores. The Pope celebrating mass, served by the devil, while an entourage of demons stand around the altar. These vivid religiously-charged images were served up by the Taborites, unhappy with the corruption of the medieval Catholic church, and wanting to spread their ideas to the illiterate peasant masses. For battle they decorated their shields similarly, like this tiny peasant behind earthworks squaring up to the Catholic knight – presumably evoking a David-and-Goliath narrative with the peasant’s sling and relative size of the combatants.

The shield design is based on the design of a surviving pavise at the National Museum of Prague.

Taborite war wagons await the attack of Sigismund’s Hungarian horsemen, outside Kutna Hora, 1421, Eastern Bohemia.

The Taborites were named after their fortified city in Bohemia, which was in turn named after the Mount Tabor of Biblical fame. They were a radical sub-faction of the larger anti-Catholic movement, the medieval equivalent of anarcho-communists who wanted to share everything they had – to the point where they even practised free love. Jan Žižka led them into battle numerous times against the Emperor Sigismund, but eventually found their theology (and perhaps their free love) too radical, and he parted ways to found the less hardline Oberite faction.

[hr]

Pictured left to right: Alan Horseman, Biscuit Dude, Taborite Infantryman, Jan Žižka, Teutonic Knight, Sir John Chandos and Bertrand du Guesclin. Not pictured: Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog.

That’s seven of the twelve Blandford Warriors painted. I almost included Vlad Dracula with this lot, as he was a member of the Ordo Draconis that Emperor Sigismund founded to stamp on people like Jan Žižka. At times like this I love history; it’s like the Marvel Cinematic Universe – a shared reality with potential for crossover events.

Coming soon to Ninjabread – Big Trouble in Little Tang Dynasty.

Got some more Crimson Fists underway! Love collecting these old metal beakies. The equipment is a little frustrating to build armies out of at first, I've got to go stockpile some more Marines before I have the right combo of minis for complete squads.

Time to collect a new Space Marine force! Crimson Fists – the Rogue Trader poster boys. These Fists are hand-picked from the 1987–1989 Imperial Space Marine ranges sculpted by Bob Naismith, Aly Morrison and Mark Copplestone. I have a real soft spot for this era of Mk6 design. There’s a certain je ne sais quoi to the early Warhammer 40,000 aesthetic that was lost when the Mk7 Jes Goodwin designs were introduced in 1990. There’s a joyful bulbousness to them that reflects the early days of Rogue Trader, before it settled down into the tightly-codified juggernaut that endures to this day.

Fist in, last out – Squad Onan.

Veteran Sergeant Onan’s casting had a damaged head, and has had a new one grafted on from a Golden Heroes Supervillain. I added the bionic eye during painting to hide the incredibly long eyeball that continued round the side of his head. The banner is tomato puree foil mounted on a brass rod pole. The bladed bionic arm with its super-awkward pose is entirely original – if anyone know what he’s actually meant to be doing please leave a comment.

The backpacks and other elements were sculpted with a beautifully ham-fisted assymetry.

I’ve settled on the rule of left-hands-crimson on Battle Brothers, and both-hands-crimson on Veterans. The Heavy Bolter Marine has Veteran status to justify him wearing a Power Glove. I particularly love this model as his nonsensical wargear (that’s illegal in all future editions of Warhammer 40,000) places him firmly in Rogue Trader territory.
    [size=14pt]
    Freehand Fist Icons[/size]

My rendition of the Crimson Fist icon is based on the banner from the Rogue Trader cover, but I’ve experimented with simplifying the thumb/forefinger area between Marines. Since their armour designs differ so much I’m not going to revisit and amend any designs once I’ve settled on the final iteration.

This hobby is called: The Freehand Fists Hobby.

I couldn’t resist adding the correct weaponry icons and armour graffiti too. I’ve got to add a Medic to the force simply so I can scrawl “FIST AID” on his armour. I also fancy a Marine with “FIST BUMP”. In fact I’ve got a whole list of quickfire “FIST” and “HAND” phrases ready to deploy.

[size=14pt]Crimson Fists Grand Plan[/size]

I’ve planned 1,000 points using the Whitescars army list from the Book of the Astronomican. This era of army list is the sweet spot for me. Space Marines have been rounded out from the single squad type presented in the Rogue Trader rulebook, but it’s before a lot of their iconic troop types have been dreamed up – no Terminators, no Scouts, no Rhinos, no Techmarines. On one hand they’re recognisable enough to a modern Warhammer 40,000 player, but on the other hand there’s a smattering of ideas like “Cobra squad” and “Reconnaissance squad” that have since disappeared from the background. I love this particular early incarnation of the Warhammer 40,000 universe where the concepts are still crystallising.

[size=8pt]
    SQUAD ONAN

1 Marine Champion [9], Bionic Arm [30], Bionic Eye [30]
    69 POINTS

3 Marines [3*8], 3 Bolt Guns [3*2] and 3 Frag Grenades [3*1]
    33 POINTS

1 Marine [8], Heavy Bolter [15], Power Glove [15], Targeter [5], 2 Suspensors [2*2]
    47 POINTS

Basic Equipment (all models): Bolt Pistol [1.5], Knife [0], Powered Armour [6] (with Communicator [0.5], Respirator [0.5], Auto-senses[0.5])
    45 POINTS

TOTAL: 194 POINTS[/size]

The full force (17 Marines on foot and a Dreadnought) is partially based on the seminal Rogue Trader Battle at the Farm scenario (which was Pedro Cantor plus fifteen Tactical Marines), but I’ve spiced up the weapon choices for the sake of variety and model availability. Here’s the first squad defending make-shift farm barricades!

Bonus Ninjabread points if you can spot where Tech-priest Theodolitus is hiding.jpg

Sho3box has very generously lent me Skabsquig’s Skallywags for these Battle at the Farm photos. You can see more of them here and here.

Crimson Fists parading their farm candy.

This terrain I’m using as the iconic Rogue Trader farm is going to launch on Kickstarter imminently from the excellent Fogou Models. Mr. Fogou sent me an advance casting in return for me taking photographs like this.

Coming soon – another Rogue Trader Crimson Fists squad and maybe a character!

Some impressive work around here too! Love that can of soup... Typography was perfect!! And I like AngusMcbride paintings a lot (I knew about him through ICE Middle earth Roleplaying covers)
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Some impressive work around here too! Love that can of soup... Typography was perfect!! And I like AngusMcbride paintings a lot (I knew about him through ICE Middle earth Roleplaying covers)
    Nice work Curis and I really enjoy the commentary you add to your wip.

Thanks Maenas! I didn't know it was Angus that illustrated all those old MERP books I had as a kid. I thought he was cool before, doubly so now! Loved his Ringwraiths, they were convincingly archaic armour that spooked me.

Cheers KruleBear!

Here's some farm animals and a medieval potter I've got to add some non-violent bits to the collection of historicals.

Always love checking out this thread, full of old school goodness.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.