Curis' WIP Wipe - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Curis' WIP Wipe

That are some mighty fine figures you have there. Not only are they extremely well painted, but I love those personal touches like the slogans on the space marines. Makes them very unique I feel.

Greetz,

Gino(2dope)

Insane. How long have you been doing this? I am a total noob to this and when I tried myself it was a total disaster :/ probably takes years of practice..

Wow the Truthsayer looks great. Love the clean and tidy style.

Top-notch work as usual and a really interesting read. I wasn't painting around the time this Wood Elf stuff came out but I love the job you did with the sculpt and learned a lot as usual. Keep the awesome posts coming!

Thanks DaBeebs! I really like contrasting old and new miniatures with each other. I've got some Black Legion from Blackstone Fortress here and fiddling with them has made me get the old one-piece metal Renegades out of Slaves to Darkness out the lead mountain and onto the sprayboard.

Thanks gorb! I'm playing with another skin tutorial at the moment – I want to do dark (human) flesh and purpley (alien) flesh soon.

Cheers Gino. I really enjoy doing the slogans as it grounds them in the 1980s. And the amount of time I take to paint a mini gives me lots of time to come up with stupid wordplay ideas. Got some jump packs on the go at the moment and I need two more ideas for them before I can get them to photos.

Unilird – I've been doing this since the mid 1990s. But it doesn't take that long to get good – you just need to surround yourself with people who can give you pointers. I've got some Golden Demon winners and studio professionals in my friendship circles and they're always helping build me up. Love to see some of your stuff (can't see anything in your gallery at the moment).

FaNkS CyAniDe! Cheers Kuribo!

For two years now I've entered a turbo-niche Halloween painting competition where entrants have to paint one piece from Citadel Miniatures' insanely characterful Night Horrors or Gothic Horror ranges – the two 1980s ranges designed to support Games Workshop's Call of Cthulhu licence. As last year I painted one half of the classic Citadel LE3 Gumshoe Detectives duo, Bogart, it seemed only right this year to paint his partner – Cagney.

Bogart and Cagney: 50% Bogart & Bacall, 50% Cagney & Lacey.

Bogart's moody trenchcoat with upturned collar, one hand in pocket and nonchalant cigarette make him instantly recognisable as a noir detective. However, Cagney was very much a a man in a plain suit (with a gun). He could easily be a mistaken for wedding guest (with a gun), a 1970s newsreader (with a gun), or an estate agent (with a gun). In order to align him with the contest's theme of REAL ULTIMATE EVIL, I thought I'd plough some effort into the base. (Actually, an estate agent is pretty close to REAL ULTIMATE EVIL, so maybe I should have gone in that direction.)

Newspapers are a shrinking industry.

The newspaper on the base is a rendition of the Sydney Morning Herald , with the he headline ALERT SUNK is a reference to the Call of Cthulhu story where Cthulhu gets his head rammed over by the steam yacht Alert. (Thanks for coming up with that idea, Michal.) I painted the headline as small as I could on a piece of thin card and then cut it out so I didn't have to worry about the normal freehand space constraints.

With the newspaper done, I figured I'd model the base as Sydney harbourside. The lapping waves effect were taken from sho3box's Man O'War Nurgle fleet (thanks sho3y). I added a Chaos Spawn tentacle to explain why Cagney's drawn his gun. With that done, I figure he's firmly anchored in the lands of Call of Cthulhu investigator.

The dynamic duo at a harbourside warehouse rumoured to be focus of cult activity, while two totally normal stevedores go about their totally normal business.

The LE3 Gumshoe Detectives, while part of the Gothic Horror range, are also part of the numbered limited editions series that Citadel Miniatures pumped out in the late 1980s. I'd like to paint up all twenty five of the codes, and am planning the LE1 Space Orc soon.

LE2 Space Marine and both LE3 Gumshoe Detectives.

Gotta think what to do for next year's entry now. The Night Horrors range and Gothic Horrors are chockful of characterful one-off miniatures. Both detectives were resculpted at least twice for rerelease later in the Gothic Horror range, so I'll see if I can track down those. I'm also obsessed by the Doctor Who miniatures that were slightly resculpted and released as Gothic Horror pieces too! Roll on 2019's competition!

Cagney came first in the competition, meaning I defended my title from last year. Congratulations to the other entrants who got their pieces finished to the deadline, and thanks to Ashley for organised the contest – why not join the group on Facebook yourself?

In related news, I won a statuette at Golden Demon this weekend, and I'll be publishing the stage-by-stage tutorial on Patreon later this week.

More of my miniatures at: www.ninjabread.co.uk
    Painting tutorials at: www.patreon.com/ninjabread
    My miniatures blog: www.ninjabread.co.uk

Golden Demon! Games Workshop’s prestigious painting competition I’ve dreamed about winning since I was an eleven year old boy. Like the Oscars – there’s big statuettes. Like the Nobel Prize – the winners are selected by internationally respected judges. Like the Turner Prize – there’s a no contribution to the actual world of art. It’s the ultimate battleground for miniature painters. And these Sisters of Silence Prosecutors took home the bronze statuette at the Warhammer 40,000 Vigilus Open Day.

Silence is golden (demon).

I spent three weeks of hobby time getting these miniatures from sprue to plinth, sweeping all my ongoing projects aside to focus solely on these Sisters. The pressure of an immovable deadline and the harsh scrutiny of the judges meant I pushed myself hard to make the squad’s copper Vratine armour truly shine.

Prosecutors in early November, broken into sub-assemblies and looking intimidatingly unfinished.

The Prosecutors are each designed with one fixed pose – your only real choice is the way you point their head. Assembled out of the box, all have their Boltguns held across their chest. Reposing is a challenge, but with lot of cutting, putty and spare arms I opened up three of the poses to make the squad more action-packed.

Silent. But deadly.

I was itching to introduce a bit of component variety into the squad, such as a heavy weapon, or a fancypants sword for the Sister Superior, but the Index Imperium wargear options forbade it. To get the squad to (silently) scream “LOOK AT ME” I added a massive banner from Wood Elf Eternal Guard kit. The original detail has been carved off and sanded away so I could paint on my own Adeptus Astra Telepathica designs on both sides.

“Exigua est virtus praestare silentia rebus, at contra gravis est culpa tacenda loqui.”

I wracked my brains for a phrase to freehand onto the banner. I considered Latin versions of “Enjoy the Silence” and “Hello darkness my old friend” – but tongue-in-cheekiness didn’t suit these dour space nuns. So I found two high-minded lines in Ovid’s Ars Amatoria which translate as “Slight is the merit on keeping silence on a matter, on the other hand, serious is the guilt of talking on things whereon we should be silent.” I’ll save the Depeche Mode for some goofy Rogue Trader or Blood Bowl nonsense.

Patterns in the Ivy

The ivy on the banner was originally a Captain Crooks suggestion. I used swirly ivy creepers on the breechcloths and cloak outsides, and angular ivy leafs on cloak insides. In folklore, ivy is taken into the home to ward off evil spirits much like Sisters are taken in your Imperial force to ward off evil. Aaaaand, ivy is mildly poisonous to humans, in the same way Sisters of Silence and their Pariah gene are psychically unsettling for humans to be around. I’m so happy with the symbolism of the plant that I might spin it out to the iconography of the whole Sisterhood Vigil (equivalent to a Space Marine Chapter), if I do any more. Call them “Crimson Ivy”? Mmm, no, too burlesque. “Ivy League”? Mmm, also no.

The skullrific bases are from a Shadespire warband (Magore’s Fiends) with their footholes sculpted over. To ground them in the Warhammer 40,000 universe I added a helmet from a Thousand Sons Scarab Occult Terminator.

Squad Philomela supporting the Nemesis Chapter battlelines.

Patreon Painting Tutorial

Last week the Patrons of Ninjabread got access to a detailed stage-by-stage write up of the paints and techniques used to paint the copper armour.

If you become a supporter today and you’ll get access to this in depth masterclass tutorial, and also the back catalogue that also covers two varieties of Space Marines power armour, and human flesh. Thanks to everyone’s that signed up to date, I’m really enjoying spending the time sharing the secrets.

Now the competition is over, and the intense focus has ended, I’m enjoying picking at preslotta odds and ends on the painting desk, toying with possible future competition entries. I need to blast through some gaming level paintjobs for a bitand get back to my Space Marine armies over the Christmas break. Watch this space!

More of my minaitures at: http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/
    Painting tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread
    My miniatures blog: www.ninjabread.co.uk

Congratulations on your bronze GD! The Sisters look fantastic. The freehand on the banner is superb.

Congrats Curis well deserved they are a grand job

Holy Hannah, those things are awesome! Only 3 weeks? Did you sleep, or just go on a binge of plastic, glue, and paint? LOL

Congrats on the win, it is certainly deserved!

Now, catch up on that sleep, so you can show us some more awesomeness!