Thread: First Start

Default First Start

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to these parts, but have been doing the hobby for years. I did this recent piece for a local competition. Thought it came out pretty decent, but wanted to put on different wings (which I have now), and add in more of a splash on the top. This was my first big display piece and first time using clear resin in this capacity.

Looking at winners of the Crystal Brush, I see I can really get back in and shadow/highlight even more. Maybe put some demonic tribal tattoos on him or whatnot.

Let me know your thoughts. I took progress images if you guys want to see. This was a ton of fun, and am working on another now!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Welcome and great work. Like you say pushing the shadows and highlights will increase the contrast.
    contrast for the win!
    The base has a lot going on for me.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks, I wanted to tell a story within the piece. The resin wasn't playing nice and neither was the "clear" gel in top. Was a ton of fun, and a good deal of work though. The base came out great, even though the resin in top didn't set rigjt

Hi Vengence,

welcome here, your piece is fantastic!

What I would add is slightly! tinting some of the stones with brown, red, green and blue, some color variation would make it more lifelike.

Nice work. I agree that you could push some contrasts a bit more, as well as some further detail on the wings.

One thing that jumped out at me (correct me if I'm wrong) but it looks like the dead marine at the foot of the demon, has an unpainted skull for a head.

Looking forward to your next work.

Yeah, it's a marine who's been ripped apart. His head is a burnt skull, but when I was poring the resin, I rested the top altar on the pouring box. The heat of resin melted the glue holding the box, and the altar fell in, covering the skull Marine with resin and making it look unfinished.
    The whole piece is on display at the local store, but when I get it back I think I'm going to remove that figure and maybe replace with another.